IGNORED

Closest equivalent to "Cops 'n' robbers" for TI?

ramidavis

I figured it would be the C64... c64.com has it up for download too. I'll check it out!

At a glance, the biggest change for the TI is going to a 32 column screen over 40. Since it was originally on the VIC-20 that isn't too bad, it's not like trying to port a game like Conan with custom screens explicitly designed for a given pixel width.

Okay, gave it some play time in the VICE emulator... (The cracked version on C64.com gives you the option of unlimited lives, ammo, and invincibility, which makes it great for research.)

The game is pretty simple. Most of the graphics would be easy to port, you could easily do this one in standard graphics mode on the TI. You'd have to adjust the individual screens for the reduced column width but I have my suspicions that the C64 version just padded them out from the VIC-20 version.

The multi-screen aspect is very cool, it reminds me of Adventure on the Atari 2600 with the dark areas. I was NOT able to find the purported flashlight anywhere, nor the safe combination. I did find a weird "service level" in the diamond company, which just had a bunch of random sprites. An inside joke maybe? Also, is the chopper just there for special effects?

Sounds are mostly just standard beeps/boops, equivalents on the TI should be easy to find.

• Like 1

Okay, gave it some play time in the VICE emulator... (The cracked version on C64.com gives you the option of unlimited lives, ammo, and invincibility, which makes it great for research.)

The game is pretty simple. Most of the graphics would be easy to port, you could easily do this one in standard graphics mode on the TI. You'd have to adjust the individual screens for the reduced column width but I have my suspicions that the C64 version just padded them out from the VIC-20 version.

The multi-screen aspect is very cool, it reminds me of Adventure on the Atari 2600 with the dark areas. I was NOT able to find the purported flashlight anywhere, nor the safe combination. I did find a weird "service level" in the diamond company, which just had a bunch of random sprites. An inside joke maybe? Also, is the chopper just there for special effects?

Sounds are mostly just standard beeps/boops, equivalents on the TI should be easy to find.

The chopper should act like a police. Touch = life lose.

As far as i recall, the only enemy that can pass through walls, but i think the flight path is a fixed coarse.

Do not remember where the flashlight is. Search for play-throughs on YT?

agreed, i got in the safe first try through dumb luck, haven't gotten in again of course..

helicopter jails you and i am not sure what kills the big ghost i shot him a few times but no avail..

this can probably be written in extended basic and then sped up with the compiler

Greg

MobyGames had some details, the safe combination is on the Service Level... weird. You can kill the big ghost by picking up the TNT and shooting it at him. I'm presuming the keys you pick up unlock jail cells to get extra lives, since I was playing on invulnerable mode that never got used.

It would be tricky to implement this in standard Extended BASIC. The multi-screen aspect can be easily and smoothly handled in lower-level languages, not so much there. Controlling all the sprite movements would be complex as well. I can see doing this in assembly pretty easily, it would even be cartridge-worthy.