IGNORED

Got Wiimote Working On 5200

Never mind I figured it out. It was there with each download. I wasn't expanding it right and seeing all the files. And it would not update because it was defaulting to another user not sure why. So I never found the update files. So now I have 1.26 upgraded from 1.23. And later this evening we will see if it works with the super Nintendo mouse finally.

Could not get Super Nintendo mouse to work however. I forget how to check version or upgrade firmware on retro bit receiver for Nintendo Nes.

I think the SNES mouse requires special code in the game program to function, it uses a different protocol than the other controllers. Sometimes the code is in the adapters, sometimes it is instead (or also) wired to the port differently, like the (Amiga/Atari/joystick switching mouse) but they probably did not include the mouse code or a switch to sort it out, so you would need a special SNES mouse adapter, different from the general controller adapter. The SNES mouse only works with a few games that support it. This is similar to the Playstation (1) Mouse, but third party people built adapters for PS/2 mice, but they worked as normal playstation controllers. Re-coding hacks were required to use trackball mode on the 2600 for games like centipede and missile command. They made adapters to use mice as joysticks/D-pads on the PS1. I don't know that they did for earlier consoles. The TOM+ which exitst for USB mouse (and gamepad) to Atari/Amiga treats the USB mouse like an ST or Amiga mouse, but not a joystick.

What you did with the Wiimote and joypad controller is really cool. Work like this and ave1 can really increase enjoyment of the 5200. It seems likely that the Classic and GameCube controller for the Wii could be plugged into the Wii as well.

41xPKTx3hbL.jpg

2pcs-White-Wired-Shock-Game-Controller-G

Could not get Super Nintendo mouse to work however. I forget how to check version or upgrade firmware on retro bit receiver for Nintendo Nes.

We could all request mouse protocol on the adapter in a future update and/or re-wire adapter. I don't really know the exact nature of the issue, except that it required special code in the games to use the mouse.

​New firmware did not help. Mouse still does not work. But classic controller works in back of wiimote. At first nothing worked. But I had to disconnect and reconnect the receiver. Then I got wiimote working in pacman. And classic controller also. The I tried jungle hunt and no classic how odd. Could not swing vines. Only wiimote works. Then I tried space invaders 5200 version. It works with both classic and wiimote. Fire buttons worked and left and right. Then re hooked up jungle hunt. No changes to wires or anything. Just stuck in space invaders and played. And then went back to jungle hunt. Now it works wiimote and classic. Not sure why first time it didn't how strange but now all is good. But no mouse sadly.

​New firmware did not help. Mouse still does not work. But classic controller works in back of wiimote. At first nothing worked. But I had to disconnect and reconnect the receiver. Then I got wiimote working in pacman. And classic controller also. The I tried jungle hunt and no classic how odd. Could not swing vines. Only wiimote works. Then I tried space invaders 5200 version. It works with both classic and wiimote. Fire buttons worked and left and right. Then re hooked up jungle hunt. No changes to wires or anything. Just stuck in space invaders and played. And then went back to jungle hunt. Now it works wiimote and classic. Not sure why first time it didn't how strange but now all is good. But no mouse sadly.

That is very cool that you can use all these different joypads or Wiimote.

Got great news. The update was not a complete failure. The super Nintendo controller work great on NES Nintendo. Use WIIMOTE on NES and then the HYPERKIN Super Nintendo to WIIMOTE adapter in the back of the WIIMOTE. Maybe it was the raphnet adapter before or the other white box. But select never worked. Super Mario Brothers 2 for example. After you die how many live you have left it says continue or retry. Select never worked on super Nintendo controller. Wii mote worked I think if I remember. But super Nintendo controller never worked. So you press START to continue. But select to switch between or continue or retry never worked. Same with legend of Zelda. But now it works. Maybe its the hyperkin adapter. But I think its the update from 1.23 to 1.26 on the retrobit receiver for NES.

Very cool that you found this out. I now have the same SNES to Wii Remote adapter, so I'll be trying it out with my 8bitdo Retro Receiver. I have a very nice SNES Topmax arcade stick with microswitches that should offer a nice playing experience on my NES (and Atari systems with the two Camerica products (including the Freedom connection)). I'll see if I can check it out over the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

Will this work with Wiimote on an Atari 2600/7800/A8? You would just skip the MasterPlay clone and plug Genesis end into 2600 or A8 and use Seagull 78 with 7800.

Will this work with Wiimote on an Atari 2600/7800/A8? You would just skip the MasterPlay clone and plug Genesis end into 2600 or A8 and use Seagull 78 with 7800. You could use it like a joystick or as a light gun for any joystick game without special light gun support.

Yes it would work. The proof is shown here (playing 7800 Desert Falcon with the Wiimote at the 1 minute 53 second mark):

Edited by ave1

Yes it would work. The proof is shown here (playing 7800 Desert Falcon with the Wiimote at the 1 minute 53 second mark):

Cool. I know I've seen this before. LOL, so many videos! Watched it again while setting everything up and got a high score on Defender using my wiimote as a gamepad.

I ordered the SmartJoy Redeemer and also this PS/2 to amiga C64 adapter from "Down Under" that turns an optical PS/2 mouse into a commodore 1350 or 1351 mouse. In 1350 mode it will work as a joystick mouse on the 2600 or 7800 with an Amiga to Atari adapter​ your Seagull 78/SMS Rapid Fire combo. Ugh, these take forever to ship, though. :)

http://melbourneconsolerepros.com/product_info.php?products_id=126

I have a couple of these PS2 to Amiga adapters to try to work with the Redeemer, although the analog to digital may not work well with the mice and the redeemer may be limited to 5200 use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amiga-CD32-C64-Atari-playstation-adapter-PSX-joypad-joystick-interface/222770545099

• 2 weeks later...

Be sure to reply back here when you try things out. Looking forward to it!

Received the original playstation mouse yesterday and used it with the Willingham PSX to Amiga/Atari adapter on the 7800 and 2600. It converts the original playstation mouse into a 1350 with 2-button support (or Atari or Amiga mouse). Used it for Pole Position 2 on the 7800 and Defender on the 2600. For two button support, you need to use a Seagull 78, since it is designed for the Amiga and has buttons on pins 6 and 9 instead of 5 and 9. It worked pretty good for pole position 2, but was much too slow for my liking on Defender on the 2600. Of course, pole position uses short movements, while you need to quickly cover a lot more area in Defender. Unfortunately, it only supports the original ball playstation mouse or its contemporary Competition Pro ProMouse, not modern mice which might be faster. Obviously, it seems the mouse acceleration is a common issue - too fast or too slow.

The "down under" USB mouse to 1350/1351 adapter from Melbourne Console Reproductions has much better motion speed, but it has two faults. First, it has a design flaw where it fires the left button every time you move up. Not a problem in Defender or Star Wars Arcade where you are shooting like mad all the time anyway, but an obvious problem for some other games. It actually seems like a pretty bad oversight on the part of Melbourne Console Reproduction, Inc., or the maker for whom they are selling this item. The second fault is that although the ad said it emulates a 1350 mouse, it only supports the left button, unlike the original, which has a left and right button. Further investigation by questioning a couple similar adapter makers and hunting down their instruction manuals showed that this is the norm for 1350 emulators, except for the Willingham adapter. I suppose it made sense, since no two button applications were ever designed on the C64/128 for the NEOS or 1350 mice, and their manuals say the right button can be ignored, but it does limit current applicability. I have heard good things about the MicroMys v4, which is likely to be more reliable, but also has only one button 1350 support.

The SpeedLink Redeemer is not recognized by my Wellingham PSX to Atari adapter (or vice versa) or a similar PSX to Atari adapter I have, even though it works on my PS2 slim. I am waiting on a couple different 15-pin to 9-pin adapters to use with the Innovation Smart Joy PSX to 15-pin PC analog adapter to see if the Redeemer will work with that. One is analog to digital and the other retains the analog signal. They are coming from Great Britain, so likely to be a few weeks. I think that's about it for now.

Edit: I imagine the joystick-mouse demand is a fairly niche market and emulator adapters for the Ataris, in general, are a fairly new market, so it may take a while for them to evolve and, hopefully, will get better and have increased functionality with time. I know some people have asked why you would want a mouse that moves like a joystick, but mouse hacks are limited and you generally cannot use proportional mousing for games designed to use only joysticks or vice versa. If the mouse speed is properly adjustable to a reasonable speed for the game, I think it makes for a fun alternative control scheme until someone makes real mouse hacks, which I have no idea how to do.

Edit 2: The guy's name is Paul Willingham, not Wellingham. Sorry about that. He sells the adapter on ebay.

I don't know if it is compatible with all brands of playstation mice. Also, this warning they include seems nonsensicle to me:

"I don't think it works for ps2. It Does not work for ps1 or the slim ps2. we are 100% sure of this as these 2 systems do not provide power thru the controller ports which are required for the mouse to work. This mouse was designed for the original FAT Old Grey style psx system."

As far as I know, the playstation mouse was released in 1994 with the release of the original playstation and is only compatible with games made for the original playstation, not PS2 games. Mice for the PS2 were USB mice, but you had to use the PS1 mouse on the PS2 to play PS1 mouse games on the PS2.

I had a third-party playstation1 mouse, also, and could not get it to work with the adapter, but it is hard to say. I will have to try again to be sure. I'll let you know.

The 15-pin to DSUB 9-pin A/D converter arrived today. I hooked it up to both the 2600 and 7800, hooked the 15-pin end to Innovation Smart Joy PS2/N64 to 15-pin adapter and hooked that up to the SpeedLink Redeemer. Switched on Smart Joy: Power to the Smart Joy, but not to the Redeemer. Plugged in a dual shock, it worked perfectly with Defender on 2600 and 7800, but no lights on Redeemer. I'm wondering if the Redeemer takes too much energy and the 5200 VCC has more current than the 2600 or 7800. I have observed the 2600 and 7800 provide less current from VCC than ground the C64, which is 100mA, although I don't know the exact current value. Maybe it needs to be analog all the way to the console for the Redeemer. I'll check when the analog 15-pin to DSUB gets here.

Edit: On another note, I realized the adapters out there will not give 2-button joymouse support in C64 joymouse mode, but I think the Rys MkII may likely have 2-button joymouse support in Atari ST or Amiga mode. Unfortunately, adapters of this sort often have poor instructions and there is difficulty communicating with the Polish manufacturers, so I will let you know in a month after it travels here.

I bought one of these mice and tried it with the Willingham adapter with Seagull 78 on the 7800. It works, but oddly. Everything is twitchy. With pole position, when you move the mouse left, it keeps twitching back to center, as if the signal is pulsing. Same with the left button, it quickly alternates between 0 and 5 mph. If you also attach a Sega rapid fire, like for an SMS controller, and set fire 2 on, you can keep speeding up, but more slowly and you can only reach about 200 out of 255 mph. Further, if you slide the mouse cord end about 3/4 into the adapter port and tilt it right, it will speed up normally, but nothing else works. These different PlayStation mice must have different protocols or something. You can get a Competition Pro mouse for about $24 from Console Passion in the UK, shipping included, which is much cheaper than a Sony PS mouse. Just ordered one since the Sony PS mouse is a bit of a collector's item, but have not tried it yet. The user manual for the Willingham adapter says the competition pro mouse and Sony PS mouse are supported..

Okay!!!! Got USB optical mouse working on Atari 2600 with SpeedLink and Willingham adapter. Needed USB hub, had to plug Logitech keyboard in other USB port and mouse into PS/2 port. Got keyboard working first by putting in USB port. Mouse button did not work and could not re-assign space bar to mouse button....then realized, since I was using PS/2 adapters, maybe I had to reassign "X", even though spacebar worked on keyboard. This worked!!! I found on the 2600, it works best to use Esc, Insert but not Esc, PgUp, since it is digital. Mouse is very controllable, not crazy slow or fast. More to come, such as 7800 and trying with Innovation SmartJoy adapter.

• Like 1

Okay!!!! Got USB optical mouse working on Atari 2600 with SpeedLink and Willingham adapter. Needed USB hub, had to plug Logitech keyboard in other USB port and mouse into PS/2 port. Got keyboard working first by putting in USB port. Mouse button did not work and could not re-assign space bar to mouse button....then realized, since I was using PS/2 adapters, maybe I had to reassign "X", even though spacebar worked on keyboard. This worked!!! I found on the 2600, it works best to use Esc, Insert but not Esc, PgUp, since it is digital. Mouse is very controllable, not crazy slow or fast. More to come, such as 7800 and trying with Innovation SmartJoy adapter.

Can you post a some pics of those 2 adapters you mentioned.