IGNORED

What is the best size TV for retro gaming

Jim Pez

I'm growing on the 20". Using a 27", I simply can't process that screen as much, fast enough. Using a 20", I'm finding it way more enjoyable. That's on me personally due to my brain injury and how slower I can process information vs. how it was before the injury. I'm sitting about 5ft away.

• Like 1

I almost think 12-14 inch is the ideal size. >20 inches is really nice if the console you're using is s-video or component, but I've noticed that composite on a CRT that big really shows the blurriness of that signal, but on a smaller set, composite artifacts aren't very noticeable, plus s-video and component look just as sharp..

• Like 1

I went from a 19" to a 27" and there is no going back. I did get a nice wega Trinitron SD though so I'm pretty spoiled. I love the size, I do notice the detail shows up much more so you do see the block pixels the bigger you get but I like that effect. Maybe if it was using a bigger screen the pixel look may be too much.

I use a 19" and 13-19" is what I grew up with. Of course, you can adjust your distance to taste, so whatever size you get should be good. Just know bigger = heavier, which shouldn't matter, till it comes to moving it. I finally gave away my 27" rca, which I loved, because it required two people to move it, was huge, and a pita.

I was always under the belief that the common average sized CRT for the time the system would have hit the market was basically the best size. If I remember right your average was around 20" in the mid80s with the NES/Colecovision/SMS era stuff. They were a bit larger on average around the 89-91 window of SNES/TG/Gen so maybe 25~" about then. The resolutions on the games slowly ticked up towards that wall the CRT had then and more detail was packed into such space too and a larger screen would show it more than a smaller.

Funny to hear so many people bitch and moan about the weight of TV's all the time. Yes, they can be very heavy, but_you_set_it_in_its_place_and_leave_it_be for years and years and years. Some of you constantly on the move or what? :lol:

I can't speak for everyone, but in my case I'm always hunting for nicer CRTs on Craigslist and it seems like I upgrade to a new TV every couple years. Hauling them back home, lugging them up and down flights of stairs, then finally getting them set up on the stand is no fun when they get larger and heavier than 20" or so. Not to mention having to carry the old TV out to the curb after setting up the new one.

I can't speak for everyone, but in my case I'm always hunting for nicer CRTs on Craigslist and it seems like I upgrade to a new TV every couple years.

Why are you doing this? CRTs aren't some kind of rare, mythical beasts. Find the best one first, then you don't need to waste time and effort "upgrading" every few years.

Why are you doing this? CRTs aren't some kind of rare, mythical beasts. Find the best one first, then you don't need to waste time and effort "upgrading" every few years.

In my experience the tubes in even the best ones (like the Sony KV-20FS120 WEGA Trinitron that I currently use) are now old enough that they don't last more than a few years when given 20 to 30 hours of use per week. My current is still looking pretty good so I'll probably get another couple years out of it, but trying to read any text on the screen is starting to become an exercise in squinting so I know it'll need replacing at some point.

Funny to hear so many people bitch and moan about the weight of TV's all the time. Yes, they can be very heavy, but_you_set_it_in_its_place_and_leave_it_be for years and years and years. Some of you constantly on the move or what?

Well, sonny, it's just that when you get to my age, have two bad knees and the "spine of an 80 year old", you tend to vividly recall the experience of single-handedly carrying a 100+ lb., 32" CRT TV up a flight of stairs and across the house.

...I said I was older, not smarter.

• Like 2