1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard DIY Builders Thread

1088XEL JOY2PIC-STIK XEL-CF-][ UAV Sophia U1MB

262 replies to this topic

#251 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,380 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:08 PM

The only issue I realized is, that the top cover might be thicker as needed.

Aluminum isn't as strong as the original thinner steel plate, especially considering there is now a large hole in it, so opted for a thicker material just to be on the safe side. Anyone is free to adjust this thickness as well as the panel color in the FPD application, but no guarantees that a thinner material works out better. So with the thicker panel you get a ring of silver colored aluminum exposed around the top edge, which still looks good in my opinion. Good to hear it fits.

On that cart tunnel fit issue you mentioned, do you think it could relate to the cart connector being off center when it got soldered to the motherboard? If not, let me know if you think it's an issue requiring adjustment, since I could always nudge the hole in either the X or Y direction if needed. This stuff is hard to get perfect on the first or even second go around, due to the difficulty in taking measurements when things are not all on the same plane.

BTW, I use 6-32 x 3/8" flat head screws to secure the cart tunnel to the board (the screws will self thread into the PCB for perfectly aligned fit). I then twist on some .25" x .25" 6-32 threaded round aluminum spacers underneath which serve as supports to keep the board from bending when inserting carts. I should probably post a pic.

You'll need to glue in that rear panel when you get the CF adapter mounted, since pushing in that CF will probably loosen the panel over time.

#252 Brentarian ONLINE  

Brentarian

Moonsweeper

• 355 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:49 PM

For those that want that cool Atari logo here is the source: https://www.etsy.com...=sr_gallery-1-7

Thanks -- I forgot to order one of these.

Is there enough room on the back panel to accomodate a second CF slot?

#253 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,380 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:08 PM

Thanks -- I forgot to order one of these.
Is there enough room on the back panel to accomodate a second CF slot?

Yes there is, but I haven't made one yet. Next week I'm expecting a top panel to arrive with a double CF slot in it, let me verify that all is ok with that and then I'll upload a revised rear panel with a double slot as well. In fact there will be a few new panels, so I'll just make up a new zipped file and swap it for the older one on my site.

#254 Spaced Cowboy ONLINE  

Spaced Cowboy

Space Invader

• 29 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:35 PM

Quick question regarding the XEL-CF-][ ... how fast is a CF-to-memory copy ? And how fast is a CF-to-CF copy ?

I've ordered one anyway, I'm just curious :)

#255 flashjazzcat OFFLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 12,856 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 PM

Quick question regarding the XEL-CF-][ ... how fast is a CF-to-memory copy ? And how fast is a CF-to-CF copy ?

Just did a quick (and rough) test here copying a 720KB file from a 512 bytes/sector partition on one card to a 512 byter on another card and it took around thirty seconds.

Read speed off the disk is about 65KB/s including file system overhead.

Edited by flashjazzcat, Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:46 PM.

#256 Spaced Cowboy ONLINE  

Spaced Cowboy

Space Invader

• 29 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:10 PM

That's about 50k/sec (1440k/30 secs) ... pretty darn fast, actually, considering the size of your average program :) Cool!

Edit: and then I saw your edit about read speed. I guess reads are faster than writes then, to get the 65k/sec :) Not that I'm complaining :)

Edited by Spaced Cowboy, Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:12 PM.

#257 LarryL OFFLINE  

LarryL

Space Invader

• 22 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:49 PM

Aluminum isn't as strong as the original thinner steel plate, especially considering there is now a large hole in it, so opted for a thicker material just to be on the safe side. Anyone is free to adjust this thickness as well as the panel color in the FPD application, but no guarantees that a thinner material works out better. So with the thicker panel you get a ring of silver colored aluminum exposed around the top edge, which still looks good in my opinion. Good to hear it fits.

On that cart tunnel fit issue you mentioned, do you think it could relate to the cart connector being off center when it got soldered to the motherboard? If not, let me know if you think it's an issue requiring adjustment, since I could always nudge the hole in either the X or Y direction if needed. This stuff is hard to get perfect on the first or even second go around, due to the difficulty in taking measurements when things are not all on the same plane.

BTW, I use 6-32 x 3/8" flat head screws to secure the cart tunnel to the board (the screws will self thread into the PCB for perfectly aligned fit). I then twist on some .25" x .25" 6-32 threaded round aluminum spacers underneath which serve as supports to keep the board from bending when inserting carts. I should probably post a pic.

You'll need to glue in that rear panel when you get the CF adapter mounted, since pushing in that CF will probably loosen the panel over time.

You are right - the silver edge looks really good. Understand the need of the thickness.

Need to check if the cart tunnel is not centered, but this takes a while. Will be on business trip the next week, so no time...

Regarding glueing the back plate - I did not think about inserting the CF card yet, but now that you mention it...

#258 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,566 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:04 PM

If and when you guys decide to use a mouse with your 1088XEL, I've found the Logitech M-SBF96 is a good quality 400 dpi optical PS/2 mouse that matches very well with the current Mousetari chip firmware. These are readily available as NOS on eBay.

attachicon.gifLogitech M-SBF96 black.jpg

M-SBF96 (black)

M-SBF96 (beige)

So hey, at Michael's recommendation I bought one of these mice. Super nice and super cheap (under $7 shipped!) I can't wait to get my board up and running.

While I was at it I also picked up 20-something year old refurbished, guaranteed fully working black IBM PS/2 keyboard for a reasonable price. Last week I dug around my garage and found a couple old keyboards of my own but they were from typical gray Winboxen of the era and yellowing pretty badly. Can't be bothered to retrobright a worthless commodity keyboard, especially in the dead of winter. :) 

#259 Firedawg ONLINE  

Firedawg

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 455 posts

Posted Today, 4:24 PM

I'll bump this thread some as its been quite with everyone building and playing around with their boards.  I have been waiting on my last few components to complete my XEL-CF-II.  I've ordered two  Sophia's with DVI from Jacek which shipped yesterday so I should have them soon.  Been reading and executing various commands on the 1088XEL.  Allowing me to learn more about APT and SDX to strengthen my abilities some in usage of the board and storage capabilities using my SIDE2 and other CF type carts.   I will say that flashjazzcat is amazing with what he has done with various devices to make them all understand each other on this 1088XEL!!!  Well done Sir!    

Things to do:
  • 1088XEL main board completed, tested working.
  • Ordered/Shipped Realan H80 case.
  • Ordered/Shipped Sophia Ver C with DVI.
  • Ordered Custom 1088XEL Realan Top with-cart (rev B).
  • Ordered custom 1088XEL Realan rear with CF Slot (rev B).
  • Ordered custom 1088XEL Cart Tunnel Rev D.
  • Need to complete Mouse Select Port boards.
  • Need to complete XEL Status Panel boards.
  • Need to complete the build on XEL-CF-II V1.0 - Waiting on components.

A brand new Dell 1708PF 

Dell1708FP-1.jpg

#260 DrVenkman ONLINE  

DrVenkman

River Patroller

• 2,566 posts
  • Back off, man! I'm a scientist.

Posted Today, 4:32 PM

Outstanding!!!

I'm currently more or less at a standstill. I have parts on-order from MacRorie to build an XEL-CF but I'd told him to hold off while he waited for the back-ordered UAVs (which he has since gotten), as well as replacements for the S-video/Composite jacks. But those STILL haven't arrived, so he's shipping out the rest of the stuff for DIY'ers while he awaits those video connectors. When that arrives I'll be finishing up the remaining board headers and jumpers, installing the UAV, and building the XEL-CF.

I think this weekend I'll also be ordering a Realan case and parts to make my controller cables. And then in a couple more weeks, while I wait for the case on the literal slow boat from China, it'll be parts for the Mouse Select board, and XEL status board. And so on down the line until I'm "done."

​And then I'll probably buy a Sophia or something, lol.

#261 mytekcontrols OFFLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,380 posts

Posted Today, 6:07 PM

Yes it takes great patience while waiting for a Realan case to arrive from China. Same can be said when waiting for CF-IDE44 adapters. But I've yet to have a problem in any of the orders I've made thus far... they all eventually get here  :) .

#262 hunter44102 OFFLINE  

hunter44102

Star Raider

• 91 posts

Posted Today, 6:21 PM

OK how do I know which direction to install the resistor networks. For example RN8 measures 1K on the first two pins (side with dot), and 2K on the last two pins.  Do I put the dot side on the squared off hole side of the PCB silk screen?   Thanks!

#263 Firedawg ONLINE  

Firedawg

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 455 posts

Posted Today, 6:59 PM

OK how do I know which direction to install the resistor networks. For example RN8 measures 1K on the first two pins (side with dot), and 2K on the last two pins.  Do I put the dot side on the squared off hole side of the PCB silk screen?   Thanks!

Yes

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 1088XEL, JOY2PIC-STIK, XEL-CF-][, UAV, Sophia, U1MB

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users