IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard DIY Builders Thread

Firedawg

I see you already discovered the 5x5 pin RGB-THRU header which is shown connected to the Sophia RGB board here. And yes that routes the RGB signals over to the DIN-13 connector. This works with the standard Sophia RGB board, and just requires an IDC10 connector crimped onto Sophia's video out cable.

Fantastic news thanks!

Moving right along! :)

Loosely fitting the new headers to the U1MB, plugging in the female headers I made on Saturday, and then soldering it all together went perfectly. The U1MB fits snugly when seated, but still readily removable if necessary. I also got started on the rest of the headers and connectors on the board. Hopefully MacRorie will get the rest of the UAVs he's waiting on, along with the new video jacks. The RGB jack is nice to have but useless for me and my planned near-term usage (may add a Sophia down the line but probably not).

post-30400-0-78340300-1515462259_thumb.jpg

post-30400-0-64479200-1515462275_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Loosely fitting the new headers to the U1MB, plugging in the female headers I made on Saturday, and then soldering it all together went perfectly. The U1MB fits snugly when seated, but still readily removable if necessary. I also got started on the rest of the headers and connectors on the board. Hopefully MacRorie will get the rest of the UAVs he's waiting on, along with the new video jacks. The RGB jack is nice to have but useless for me and my planned near-term usage (may add a Sophia down the line but probably not).

attachicon.gifIMG_9494.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9499.JPG

Looks nice!

UAVs arrived today. Video connectors were shipped yesterday from Israel. Hopefully here soon. As soon as they arrive, I will send them both out to kits purchasers.

Sophia boards . . . unknown. Replacement batch being sent in a few days.

• Like 2

Looks nice!

UAVs arrived today. Video connectors were shipped yesterday from Israel. Hopefully here soon. As soon as they arrive, I will send them both out to kits purchasers.

​Great news, thanks! :)

As I was installing headers and jacks tonight, I realized your annotated copy of the BOM included in my box indicated that the 2-pin header jacks for 5V ACC Power (J22, 23, 24) were to be shipped later. Did those every arrive? No biggie of course - still got plenty to do before I can get to the point of testing, plus the inevitable troubleshooting ...

​Great news, thanks! :)

As I was installing headers and jacks tonight, I realized your annotated copy of the BOM included in my box indicated that the 2-pin header jacks for 5V ACC Power (J22, 23, 24) were to be shipped later. Did those every arrive? No biggie of course - still got plenty to do before I can get to the point of testing, plus the inevitable troubleshooting ...

Yes, they will ship with the other items. I have 500 of them, so no worries.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifIMG_9494.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_9499.JPG

Nice! Not too keen to show you guys my progress now that I see there's use of the correctly spaced capacitors (not a dig at you Mike ;) ) I soldered my resistor network DIPs, not in sockets like yours, wondering why you would? Do they fail?

I'm building a PAL version (for NZ) Thanks to your photo I now notice I should have added 952-2538-ND to my Digi-Key order for position X2 so the CO16112 could be easily pulled and replaced with the NTSC crystal. It wasn't in the part number column in the BOM

Heres to seeing it fire up!

Nice! Not too keen to show you guys my progress now that I see there's use of the correctly spaced capacitors (not a dig at you Mike ;) ) I soldered my resistor network DIPs, not in sockets like yours, wondering why you would? Do they fail?

I'm building a PAL version (for NZ) Thanks to your photo I now notice I should have added 952-2538-ND to my Digi-Key order for position X2 so the CO16112 could be easily pulled and replaced with the NTSC crystal. It wasn't in the part number column in the BOM

I am not sure his RNs are socketed. They do not look like it. Heck, you can install the RN DIPs (**NOT** the SIPs) in backward and most will still function.

X2 is never removed. It doesn't matter if it is present with a PAL or an NTSC option. It just sits there until needed. Only X1 needs to be socketed.

• Like 1

Nice! Not too keen to show you guys my progress now that I see there's use of the correctly spaced capacitors (not a dig at you Mike [emoji6] ) I soldered my resistor network DIPs, not in sockets like yours, wondering why you would? Do they fail?

Well, my 0.1 uF capacitors are all the "wrong" lead-spacing as accidentally spec'd on the BOM when MacRorie put the kits together. No worries - they can fit if you bend the leads yourself or just work them carefully into the board and lean them over a bit if necessary. [emoji4] My DIP resistor networks aren't socketed either. They're soldered to the board.

As for crystals, and bear in mind I am *NOT* an expert (!!!), there's an NTSC/PAL jumper (J21) on the board. If you install the PAL colorburst crystal at X2, you can remove the socketed X1 crystal and replace it with the opposite number, then move the NTSC/PAL jumper.

As for crystals, and bear in mind I am *NOT* an expert (!!!), there's an NTSC/PAL jumper (J21) on the board. If you install the PAL colorburst crystal at X2, you can remove the socketed X1 crystal and replace it with the opposite number, then move the NTSC/PAL jumper.

This is exactly correct. For an NTSC setup, X2 is unnecessary, but does no harm being installed. For a PAL setup, X2 is required and permanent. X1 changes and the jumper at J21 changes as well.

• Like 1

I mkae typios alt time :) .

Now for a question...

Firedawg - it just occurred to me that I don't recall what the exact fix was for your original failed power-up attempts. Was this explained and I missed it?

It had to be a bad solder joint(s) that was affecting the video output. So, for those completing their boards assure good solder flow to the pads. I also changed out the stacked RCA + S-video jack, which probably was not the cause. Michael your assistance basically allowed me to discover that the board was producing the right voltage to key components, and the components in play were functioning fine, so the deduction of that led me to focus on the solder joints. After a good once over with the iron and solder voilà video put success.

• Like 1

It had to be a bad solder joint(s) that was affecting the video output. So, for those completing their boards assure good solder flow to the pads. I also changed out the stacked RCA + S-video jack, which probably was not the cause. Michael your assistance basically allowed me to discover that the board was producing the right voltage to key components, and the components in play were functioning fine, so the deduction of that lead me to focus on the solder joints. After a good once over with the iron and solder voilà video put success.

Aww ok I was wondering about that, since it seemed like it magically started to work for you after scoping signals. Thanks for the explanation :)

Took some time yesterday to hook up some of Dropcheck devices, which by the way worked great, and played around a bit with my DB9 joystick connections.

attachicon.gif1088xelCartExt.jpg

attachicon.gif1088xelSDdrive.jpg

attachicon.gifPac-manScrn.jpg

Yep I got one of those buffered cartridge extenders she makes. And I gotta say that is going to be one of the most useful accessories for the 1088XEL besides the XEL-CF :thumbsup: :) . And it's very well made.

- Michael

• Like 2

Waiting on components from all round the world to progress any further, its my first full size PCB project so be kind ;) I was planning on building the JOY2PIC first to get into it, but EasyEDA were way faster, 3 days, than OSHPark which 10 days later is still a no show. EasyEDA were very good to deal with when I noticed their site hadn't picked up the Gerbers file correctly. OSH seem very expensive too. I've convinced my mate to build one, but asked him to hold off until I go through the process, already found many gotchyas. Whatever the outcome still enjoying it. :thumbsup:

post-61762-0-96437800-1515524596_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Took some time yesterday to hook up some of Dropcheck devices, which by the way worked great, and played around a bit with my DB9 joystick connections.

attachicon.gif1088xelCartExt.jpg

attachicon.gif1088xelSDdrive.jpg

attachicon.gifPac-manScrn.jpg

I like the idea of extending the cartridge port out like that, so you can mount it anywhere, nice, is the PCB/BOM available for this mod? Is that the original A8 tunnel? I have one of those available.

Edited by Lavalamp

I like the idea of extending the cartridge port out like that, so you can mount it anywhere, nice, is the PCB/BOM available for this mod? Is that the original A8 tunnel? I have one of those available.

Dropcheck sells this as a bare board XL/XE/1088XEL Cart Extension Bundle with a BOM to build it out.

Mike

Waiting on components from all round the world to progress any further, its my first full size PCB project so be kind ;) I was planning on building the JOY2PIC first to get into it, but EasyEDA were way faster, 3 days, than OSHPark which 10 days later is still a no show. EasyEDA were very good to deal with when I noticed their site hadn't picked up the Gerbers file correctly. OSH seem very expensive too. I've convinced my mate to build one, but asked him to hold off until I go through the process, already found many gotchyas. Whatever the outcome still enjoying it. :thumbsup:

attachicon.gif1088XEL.jpg

Yep when it comes to having a 4-layer board of this size made, EasyEDA is the best I've found price, quality, and shipping time. ALLPCB is great at 2-layer and smaller boards (and the Free DHL shipping is fantastic), but they can't compete with EasyEDA on the 1088XEL board even when factoring in the free shipping. OSHpark is only good for very small 2-layer boards, and even then ALLPCB will beat them every time. But their shared project aspect really makes setting up BUY buttons on a website very easy. However if you don't mind doing a little bit more work (and it's not much) I would use ALLPCB instead of OSHpark, because you'll get a hell of a good discount on the smaller boards.

• Like 1

Okay guys and gals, so here's where I stand right now. After installing my Sparkfun breakout board, I appear to be running short of male SIL header pins, almost as if I am missing maybe an entire strip of them. I still have a number of important jumper and header blocks to install, yet I've only got 12 pins left. That can't be right. :)

So ... what have I done wrong? Or did I lose a third strip of header pins? My kit came with two strips of 40 - I used 50 of them for the U1MB headers, and 18 of them for the Sparkfun headers; that's 68 pins. I have 12 left, out of the 80. But with all the jumpers left to install, 12 doesn't seem nearly enough. :?

post-30400-0-22796800-1515539789_thumb.jpg

Okay guys and gals, so here's where I stand right now. After installing my Sparkfun breakout board, I appear to be running short of male SIL header pins, almost as if I am missing maybe an entire strip of them. I still have a number of important jumper and header blocks to install, yet I've only got 12 pins left. That can't be right. :)

So ... what have I done wrong? Or did I lose a third strip of header pins? My kit came with two strips of 40 - I used 50 of them for the U1MB headers, and 18 of them for the Sparkfun headers; that's 68 pins. I have 12 left, out of the 80. But with all the jumpers left to install, 12 doesn't seem nearly enough. :?

attachicon.gifIMG_9504.JPG

The BOM does not specify headers for the Ultimate 1M board, so they were not included. Did not even think of them since I saw them as part of the U1M process. I will throw two more into the envelope I send you with make up stuff.

• Like 2

The BOM does not specify headers for the Ultimate 1M board, so they were not included. Did not even think of them since I saw them as part of the U1M process. I will throw two more into the envelope I send you with make up stuff.

Thanks much! For some reason when I eyeballed everything before I started the kit, I was sure I had plenty of pins. Hah! Well, they’re $0.66 each at Digi-Key. I’ll slip an extra couple bucks your way next time

I order stuff. :)

attachicon.gifIMG_9504.JPG

Ah interesting you mentioned that, the BOM should state 40 x 2 Male SIL and included the female SIL both caught me short.