Recovered disk images - circa 1984

8 replies to this topic

#1 Andrew Davie OFFLINE  

Andrew Davie

Stargunner

• 1,787 posts
  • Dr.Boo

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 9:06 PM

I have about 40 images of Atari 800 disks from back when I was programming in my bedroom.  The recovered disks (40 of the 52 were readable) were provided to me as "IMG" files, and that's all I know about them.  They are raw binaries, I am pretty sure, of the disk contents. I've used a hex viewer to "snoop" on some of the content, and I'm delighted to see hard-to-read but clearly recognisable source code for my game "Qb" amongst several other things.  I haven't seen this stuff myself for 30 years, so I'm very curious/excited to get it into a readable format.

I am looking for someone to assist me in converting the files on the recovered disks into text files that I can read/post on the web.  

Your payment - eternal glory and gratitude.

Can anybody point me to suitable software, or volunteer to take an image or two... or 40... and return me the source code files in text format?

#2 tschak909 OFFLINE  

tschak909

Stargunner

• 1,926 posts

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 11:17 PM

You may want to talk to Kevin Savetz (user name Savetz here on AA), he's got a Kryoflux.

-Thom

#3 Andrew Davie OFFLINE  

Andrew Davie

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,787 posts
  • Dr.Boo

Posted Tue Dec 5, 2017 11:24 PM

You may want to talk to Kevin Savetz (user name Savetz here on AA), he's got a Kryoflux.

-Thom

Sorry, I have already transferred the images from the disks.  I just need a good way to interpret them.

#4 ggn OFFLINE  

ggn

Stargunner

• 1,250 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 4:31 AM

If the disks don't contain any sensitive personal information maybe upload them somewhere for people to take a look?

#5 Andrew Davie OFFLINE  

Andrew Davie

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,787 posts
  • Dr.Boo

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:09 AM

I've fired up Atari800MacX and had a look at the disk image contents - absolutely delighted to see binaries of at least two unreleased 'games' (really prototypes) from 1983.

I had 'em running - haven't seen them in action for over 30 years, so that was a bit amazing.

I have no idea how to view/retrieve the source code yet.  Yes, I'll put up one of the images for people to have at - see 11.zip which has what I suspect might have the source code for my 1984 game 'Qb'. That would be super cool.

Attached Files

• Attached File  11.zip   35.31KB   20 downloads

#6 Andrew Davie OFFLINE  

Andrew Davie

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,787 posts
  • Dr.Boo

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:20 AM

Had a chance to view some source - I found "MEDIT" and used that to load the files and view on the emulator. Yep, it's source code!  In my defence, there was zero space on the disk and I had only one drive, so I had no comments in the source, and all labels were reduced to 4 letters maximum and spacing was minimised - just to get things to fit on the disk. I miss those days.... not!

#7 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 6,103 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:22 AM

Nice.

Allan

Attached Thumbnails

• atari000.jpg

#8 Rybags OFFLINE  

Rybags

Quadrunner

• 15,263 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:23 AM

By the looks that .IMG file is just a raw dump of a 720 sector disk.

I've managed to get a directory in Altirra by renaming the extension to XFD then just boot a Dos 2.x in drive 1 and mount your image in D2:

Here's it's directory listing:

FIL         022
  CHS     OBJ 145
  PMDAT       081
  CROSSES2    025
  PMS         024
  BEG         072
  GENROUTS    020
  DRAWCUBE    049
  MAN         074
  SHP         028
  DOS     SYS 039
  DUP     SYS 042
  CHS         010
  INT         037
  CROSSES     015
024 FREE SECTORS

Here's a listing of a file called "MAN".  It's truncated, the copy operation hits an ERROR 164 which generally means corruption where part of a file has been inadvertantly overwritten by another. (ed - that's annoying as frig, the stupid forum engine puts double vertical  spacing in for no reason)

Spoiler

Edited by Rybags, Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:25 AM.

#9 Andrew Davie OFFLINE  

Andrew Davie

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,787 posts
  • Dr.Boo

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:31 AM

Thanks - I just loaded the raw images into Atari800MacX and did a directory on them and they appeared to work OK, so lucky me.

The files are probably (from memory/guessing) - remember this is 34 years ago....

PMDAT - not sure. player/missile data...?

MAN - draws the player

CROSSES2 - draws the background bracketing crosses on the playfield. All hardwired code no data.  That is, explicit load/mask with immediate value/or in immediate value/store

PMS - not sure - player/missiles?

BEG - beginning. code probably starts here

GENROUTS - general housekeeping routines

DRAWCUBE - hardwired cube draw - it's amazingly fast but stupid

SHP - no idea. shapes?

CHS - character set?

INT - interrupts i'd guess

CROSSES - the other crosses big/small

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users