Photo

Recommendations for a 6 y/o girl?

9 replies to this topic

#1 Ayreon OFFLINE  

Ayreon

Moonsweeper

• 342 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:36 AM

This year Saint Nicolaas and his half brother Santa teamed up and decided to make our daughter happy with a PS4 slim.

It will come with FIFA18 (Nobody asked for that, but it comes for free) COD WWII for the mother, Battlefield 1 for the father and Rainman legends for daughter. Since this is our first console since the Jaguar I have no real idea what's out there that is fun and playable for young kids. We're on a budget so we only use the standard controllers for now.

Any recommendations?

#2 boog OFFLINE  

boog

Dragonstomper

• 612 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:23 AM

Rayman Legends is a good choice. There are a lot of other decent platformers too, like Crash Bandicoot, Ratchet & Clank, Little Big Planet, Yooka-Laylee, etc. The linear platformers might be too difficult for a 6-year old though. She may get stuck/frustrated on games where you have to finish a level to proceed. I think Yooka-Laylee is more of an open world where she can just wander around and do random objectives as she figures them out.

Most of the Lego games are good for younger kids since you never run out of lives. The stand-alone Lego games are usually based on superheroes/Star Wars, but if she isn't interested in those themes, Lego Dimensions offers level packs for a wide variety of licenses like Power Puff Girls, Simpsons, and Scooby Doo. It's discontinued now, so you might find it cheap.

There are some decent indie download games that might appeal to a 6-year old also like A Hat in Time or Thomas Was Alone.

Edited by boog, Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:26 AM.

#3 zzip OFFLINE  

zzip

Stargunner

• 1,626 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 8:58 AM

This year Saint Nicolaas and his half brother Santa teamed up and decided to make our daughter happy with a PS4 slim.

It will come with FIFA18 (Nobody asked for that, but it comes for free) COD WWII for the mother, Battlefield 1 for the father and Rainman legends for daughter. Since this is our first console since the Jaguar I have no real idea what's out there that is fun and playable for young kids. We're on a budget so we only use the standard controllers for now.

Any recommendations?

A lot depends on what she is into.

Look at Tearaway unfolded,  maybe Knack or Knack 2.  Little Big Planet,  Just Dance,  Unravel (A cute platformer where you play as a yarn creature)

My daughter loves Minecraft and "The Escapists (1 & 2)".

I bought this $2 game on PSN, "Catlateral Damage" where you play as a cat and do cat things like swat things off shelves, jump to high places, go in boxes, etc.  My daughter loves it. 

Also maybe look at games like "Flower", "Bound", and "Abzu".   In Flower, you play as the wind and blow flowers around the fields.  It's much better than it sounds.   Bound is a platformer where you play as a sort of ballerina.   Abzu, you are a diver exploring the ocean and solving puzzles.

Finally, PS4 comes with something called "Playroom" built in that is fun for kids.   I think some of the features need the camera though.    BTW, the camera accessory isn't a must have unless you want to get VR.  Only a handful of non-VR games use it.  

Make sure to check PSN, lots of games there that are never sold in stores.

#4 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 8,307 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 5:54 PM

Minecraft, its building blocks and has local coop.

Yooka laylee is a lot of fun, bont know if its multiplayer or not.

#5 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 10,316 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:34 PM

Whew, I thought the topic of the thread was about recommendations for buying 6 year old girls. :D

#6 monzamess OFFLINE  

monzamess

Dragonstomper

• 553 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:06 PM

Little Big Planet
Tearaway
Katamari
Minecraft
Lego co-op games

My 6 yo and I had more fun on Wii U games, but those were the best PS games for us.

#7 SignGuy81 OFFLINE  

SignGuy81

Stargunner

• 1,111 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:53 PM

Disney Infinity

My daughter is about the same age, a year older, and she loves it.  That and Viva Pinata for the Xbox are her favorite games, but Viva Pinata isn't available on Playstation.  For Disney Infinity you have to have the base where you put the figures on, which you can pick up at most stores such as Walmart, Dollar General, etc.

#8 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

Nodus Tollens

• 16,984 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 3:24 PM

Rayman Legends is a good choice.

I was also going to recommend Rayman & Crash. Good calls.

#9 Video OFFLINE  

Video

Quadrunner

• 8,307 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:51 PM

For sure if you got a 360 viva pinata..

Little big planet is fun too ps3/4 considerably more complex than Mario.

I love locoroco but Sony seems to have abandoned it. The PSP ones especially. If you rent it make sure you have really good internet, mine is moody as to weather I can play or not (as much as game companies WANT digital, streaming will never happen in any relevant amount)

#10 tbb033 OFFLINE  

tbb033

Star Raider

• 90 posts

Posted Fri Dec 8, 2017 1:25 PM

A girl? Candy Crush on a smartphone.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users