Photo

Where was the Jag sold in Canada?

12 replies to this topic

#1 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• 1,589 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 10:55 AM

Did the Jaguar have a significant retail presence in Canada when it was new?

In 1994/95 I was mostly focused on academics (and PC games), but I honestly do not recall having seen a Jaguar for sale anywhere.

In Nova Scotia, at least, none of the major department stores (Sears, Eaton's, and Zellers) sold it, and Wal-Mart was only just starting to enter the Canadian marketplace (having acquired many of the former Woolco stores). Electronics Boutique was also just establishing its first Canadian stores at this time. There were a small handful of independent game stores -- I recall one local place that really pushed the Sega Saturn -- but these tended to be short-lived.

Someone recently mentioned seeing them on clearance at the "Sam The Record Man" flagship store in Downtown Toronto. 

So, did any of my fellow Canadians buy a new Jaguar in the mid-1990s? If so, where?

#2 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 5,491 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:05 PM

I'm the one who saw it at "Sam's". Huge display on the second(?) floor with stacks of units and games. They had staff there (one salesperson, if I recall) to show off the system. He was playing Val D'Isere while I was there. It wasn't on "clearance" at that time, though. I believe it was '94, and certainly during the Summer, as I was working at my summer job at the TTC at the time. I chanced upon the exhibit while on a treasure hunt for The Best of Blondie, which was on sale for something like $2.99. I left the store with Blondie, but not a Jag.

This was the only time during its commercial life that I saw a display for the Jag. And I didn't see a commercial presence for it anywhere else in Canada until 2002, when I saw NOS games in a small chain of used game stores in Calgary. They also had consoles, but I can't recall how much they were. I didn't buy one, as I already had two by that point. Remember when they were going for about $25 each? I did buy about ten games at that time, as they selling them for ten bucks each. And not just the crappy Jag games, either. :)

#3 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 3,742 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:07 PM

At Canadian Tire right next to the deer urine? 

#4 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 5,491 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 2:13 PM

Hey -- I used to buy computer games at Canadian Tire! By 1988, it was about the only place you could buy those cheapo C64/A8 "flippies" which constituted the NTSC market at the time. I also bought my first 1702 monitor from them. Good times...

• jhd likes this

#5 jhd OFFLINE  

jhd

Stargunner

• Topic Starter
  • 1,589 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 3:00 PM

Yep, Canadian Tire was long a bastion of reasonably priced consumer electronics. They even sold Atari 2600 cartridges in the 1980s; I have some boxes bearing their price tags.  

I once saw a Vic 20 at a flea market that included a tape of games with a Canadian Tire logo -- presumably a store-specific pack-in.

Have there been any further retail Jaguar sightings in Canada?

#6 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

River Patroller

• 3,742 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 6:51 PM

I used to visit the Sega Playdium in Toronto in the 90s, but sadly there were no Jaguars there. Just a bunch of arcade games, $5 a pop VR games, and Saturn's plugged in all over the place.

Weren't there EB's in major urban areas in Canada that would have carried them?

#7 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 5,491 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:35 PM

Not really. EB apparently expanded into the Toronto market in 1993, but that would have been a tiny presence in a huge market. I didn’t even know they were in Canada until after 2000.

Atari didn’t have a major footprint in Canadian chains after the mid ‘80s. They did much better with the Mom-and-Pop computer stores, and that’s where I shopped. I bought all of my Lynx games at Atari dealers, as it was very difficult to find them elsewhere.

#8 AMenard ONLINE  

AMenard

Chopper Commander

• 204 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:40 PM

The only jag I ever saw back then was in a small computer store in Montreal.

#9 AtariLeaf OFFLINE  

AtariLeaf

Epic Godlike Canadian

• 10,329 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 7:52 PM

I don't remember ever seeing a Jag but by 93/94 I was getting into DOS PC gaming here in Southern Ontario. I may have but I wasn't paying attention. I don't even remember any commercials for it BITD. 

#10 davidcalgary29 OFFLINE  

davidcalgary29

Quadrunner

• 5,491 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 8:21 PM

I think that the infomercials did play late night on Canadian TV, but cant recall. We had so many stations from Buffalo that they very well might have been on one of them.

I have a faint memory of possibly seeing some Jag stuff at the Commodore/Atari store on Keele north of Wilson. Cant remember its name.

So to answer the original question: no, it had a minimal presence (at best) in Canada when new. I dont believe Atari Canada even held any Jag promotions, unlike its ubiquitous ST (and intermittent Lynx) promotions.
  • jhd likes this

#11 AMenard ONLINE  

AMenard

Chopper Commander

• 204 posts

Posted Wed Dec 6, 2017 8:30 PM

I did saw the commercial on TV, but it was on cable and on US stations.

#12 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• 3,263 posts

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 5:43 PM

I think it was at EB that I saw piles of them for liquidation. I can't remember the price, but I should have bought them all... .

#13 ls650 ONLINE  

ls650

Quadrunner

• 6,732 posts
  • Atari rocks!

Posted Thu Dec 7, 2017 9:18 PM

I recall seeing Atari Jaguars, Lynxes, and STs all being sold and supported by A&B Sound here in Victoria.  They were a bit of a chain here in BC that eventually got bought out by Future Shop.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users