Photo

Just got a TRS-80 CoCo. Can I use any old Casette player to load games?

#TRS-80 Casette Newbie CoCo

2 replies to this topic

#1 RockyRaccoon OFFLINE  

RockyRaccoon

Chopper Commander

• 106 posts
  • Classic Gaming Raccoon

Posted Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:56 PM

As the title says, I got a TRS-80 CoCo. It comes with a Pak game. (Chess), and it's been modded to use RCA Video/In out style jacks. (I believe this is called a composite mod? I am basically returning to the collectors scene of retro games after a VERY long hiatus.) for what I think is a good price of 35 dollars off ebay.

NOW, besides the cassette interface cable, do I need a super special cassette player to load tapes? Or can I just use any old cassette player after fiddling with volume settings? As far as I can tell the only benefit of a 'super special TRS-80 specific' cassette is the ability for the computer to control it directly? (Or heck, can I even play an audio file of the cassette off my computer or smart phone?)

Just making sure I know what to get and look out for~

#2 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 4,266 posts

Posted Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:22 PM

As the title says, I got a TRS-80 CoCo. It comes with a Pak game. (Chess), and it's been modded to use RCA Video/In out style jacks. (I believe this is called a composite mod? I am basically returning to the collectors scene of retro games after a VERY long hiatus.) for what I think is a good price of 35 dollars off ebay.

NOW, besides the cassette interface cable, do I need a super special cassette player to load tapes? Or can I just use any old cassette player after fiddling with volume settings? As far as I can tell the only benefit of a 'super special TRS-80 specific' cassette is the ability for the computer to control it directly? (Or heck, can I even play an audio file of the cassette off my computer or smart phone?)

Just making sure I know what to get and look out for~

Yes you can use any cassette recorder and I had good luck using my Windows tablet with a stereo to Mono adapter

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

#3 RockyRaccoon OFFLINE  

RockyRaccoon

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 106 posts
  • Classic Gaming Raccoon

Posted Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:49 PM

Thanks for the reply, acadeshopper! That's neat then! I can buy a generic cassette deck then or just use a spare old smartphone I have laying around then.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: #TRS-80, Casette, Newbie, CoCo

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users