IGNORED

Fishy experiments with Rb+ on the Jaguar...

Clint Thompson

I feel that Rb+ is underrated and while it's not flawless, don't think it really gets enough attention outside of the sub forums which get hidden away and buried at the top, which is kind of why I posted this here. With that said, if you know how to program to any extent then I recommend you install it and give it a spin, even if just for fun (or hate, depending on how you look at it haha). I couldn't program to save my life and somehow managed to come up with this.

Wanted to share a quick kind of tech demo, which will hopefully flourish into a full-fledged game given time, strength and ability... and dependent on some 3rd party hardware developments. Over the course of about 3 days with a few hours spent here and there each day, I've rendered all of the scenes and creatures you're seeing below and the Jaguar is displaying them all animated in full 16-bit color while playing music in the background and the ability to control the little Nemo wanna be dude shown inside.

What started out as a test render with floor light shadow and water ceiling animations displayed on the Jag slowly drifting back and forth:

post-985-0-37605600-1513139973_thumb.jpg

...has morphed into something with a little more promise and depth:

post-985-0-38423200-1513140047_thumb.jpg

The scene is useless without some life so here comes the controllable little dude:

post-985-0-09198600-1513140200_thumb.jpg

Toyed around with the scaling since he looked a little big... or maybe to just push him a little further into the backdrop:

post-985-0-22746600-1513140243_thumb.jpg

He was lonely, so I threw in a scary, vicious jellyfish:

post-985-0-68837500-1513140342_thumb.jpg

The Jaguar wasn't phased, so I threw in some more... at which point I finally started to feel a borderline breaking point but not before 4 animated fish, 2 animated jellyfish, 2 animated air bubble pockets, moving water ceiling and moving shadow lit flooring with music playing all while little Nemo dude was fully controllable without any slowdown:

post-985-0-72151500-1513140549_thumb.jpg

I've got a lot to learn yet but feel like there's a solid bit of foundation to turn this into a "little dudes get eaten by bigger dudes"-clone that progresses with a ton of different backdrop scenes, stage bosses or bonus levels, etc. Right now I can only get Mr. FishMan2000 to Moonwalk in water.. and since I don't think that's anything Michael Jackson would be proud of, that's my next thing to tackle. To have him actually flip when you press left or right. I think I know where I screwed up but am waiting for confirmation from someone higher up who actually knows what the term programming means.

A super short video of it running on the Jag from a few days ago:

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 16

I like it.

What resolution and depth is the background image and how do you import that into RB+ -> cos i've only been able to get low res/colour backgrounds to work properly and I was to scared to ask :)

Nice work though.

320x240 though it's actually only displaying 320x224 and is a 16-bit BMP image, exported from the renderer into GIMP, then copied from GIMP and pasted into XNVIEW as I use an image template that makes things easier for me in regards to files the Jaguar likes.

Just thought what might look nice. If fish/bubbles could go behind some of the plants, would possibly mean having 1/2 extra objects set later in the OP list, so things would go behind them.

Just thinking it may add an illusion of more depth.

Looking nice tho :)

Another thing too - if the fish were animated, they could "bend" a little. That would add a huge amount of realism to the look.

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's appreciated.

Another thing too - if the fish were animated, they could "bend" a little. That would add a huge amount of realism to the look.

They actually are animated (their fins move, lips kind of move, top fins move and tail wiggle) but it's probably really hard to tell since they're small and I recorded it using my phone camera of the TV screen. Also like to mention this is only a few hours a day and few days in so not a lot of time has went into really polishing out the edges of the graphics or animations as they're mostly just idea placeholders, a lot needs to be fixed, especially with the jellyfish. Animations need to increase, want to add a move from left-to-right and vice versa animation so when you turn left the little guy turns around. My main focus was the flipping of the fish but that's fixed now so I can expand upon that now.

I do like the idea of adding a more of a bend to them or wiggle when they actually move but I'm probably already setting myself up for overkill considering space and the amount of things going on screen at once anyways. The plan would be to have a wider variety of fish.. maybe around 12 or so and then another variety of different creatures like sharks, stingrays, sea horse, the already included Jellyfish, etc. Not all on a single level of course but progression and variety.

Just thought what might look nice. If fish/bubbles could go behind some of the plants, would possibly mean having 1/2 extra objects set later in the OP list, so things would go behind them.

Just thinking it may add an illusion of more depth.

Looking nice tho :)

Agreed... the idea of some yellowfins in schools in the background swimming was an idea just for added looks but will see how much space is left with everything else already in place. It was easier to render the entire scene all at once but performance permitting, would like to make each coral/seaweed/grass/rock,etc. independent with randomized flooring placement, which I've been experimenting with.

• Like 3

Seeing the process unfold is sometimes fun to check out so here's a quick and dirty randomization of the fish objects after the flip function was resolved (due to my error of course). You naturally will not see this happening during gameplay/startup as it will randomly select a place to put the fish but kind of neat to see how quickly the Jaguar pushes them all around at random. Will also need to add randomized scaling of the fish with values being set/stored or remembered so it interacts accordingly with the primary player's fish. Also, there needs to be a far wider randomized variable and more control on that so it doesn't go out of field for those noticing but still, just for show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-03RMzz2RhM

Next, to setup individual floor objects for randomization as well. A few still like stones and rocks and a few animated.

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 3

*Raises hand*!!

Can we haz Liopleurodons? Mosasaurs?

That could be a possibility too, though I don't know anything about them other than being extinct and dinosaur like? I guess another enemy maybe for a different level.

Breaking for a few days is always a good thing, allows the mind some free time to come back with a fresh look on how to tackle things. A few more hours in wrapping my head around how to create multiples of the same object while having them placed in random locations, random speeds, sizes... and making sure the Jag can all handle x amount of fish objects on screen, which it does nicely - all while playing music of course and controlling one of the fish. If all everyone wants is a screensaver, I guess I could always just add some soothing ambient loop tunes in the back, set it and forget it.

SO MANY FISH!

• Like 3

If all everyone wants is a screensaver, I guess I could always just add some soothing ambient loop tunes in the back, set it and forget it.

I am all for a Shark! Shark! style game on the Jaguar. = ) And obviously since there's an idea for a game, we gotta figure out the packaging. I say get a clear Jag shell, encase the board in something air tight and fill the cart with blue oil and water so you can get one of those motion cube things. Sounds like absolutely nothing could go wrong.

• Like 2

I am all for a Shark! Shark! style game on the Jaguar. = ) And obviously since there's an idea for a game, we gotta figure out the packaging. I say get a clear Jag shell, encase the board in something air tight and fill the cart with blue oil and water so you can get one of those motion cube things. Sounds like absolutely nothing could go wrong.

And then you can put a Santa hat on one of the fishes and fix a few more bugs (but not all) and try to fleece everyone again make a festive version.

• Like 1

Suggestion: Make your background a bit wider and move it left so the fish don't escape into the border :)

Done. And done.

For all your 64-bit fish aquarium needs, look no further.... and never mind the delay, it's not the Jaguar's fault, I'm just lazy. Give it about 12 seconds and you'll be greeted with warmth and happiness. Press B and have a spaz. Other buttons don't really do anything I don't think. I left the move Nemo around controls in, if that's even what you can call it.

Thanks guys, it's been real. Over and out.

...or to be continued...

P.S. - it crashed in VJ so you'll need real hardware.

Aqua64.rom

Edited by Clint Thompson
  • Like 1

And then you can put a Santa hat on one of the fishes and fix a few more bugs (but not all) and try to fleece everyone again make a festive version.

Actually Clint has already shared that version of the ROM with me and I played it but it's not that great. As you can see from the screenshot below it seems to just be a reskin with a few tweaks. Still cool. :)

post-45896-0-77415300-1513483828.png