experimental

7 replies to this topic

#1 bjbest60 OFFLINE  

bjbest60

Space Invader

• 46 posts

Posted Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 AM

Hello, all!

I'm excited to release the beta of my next game, High Score Screen Burn Slow Burn.  It's an experimental game where you play it by not playing it!

I like trying to make games on the VCS that feature designs that are more contemporary or experimental--Space Cactus Canyon had procedurally generated playfields, for example.  I also like weird, small Internet games that just do things normal games don't do, such as maybe not being a game at all.  So, onward to the details!

Objective:  Get the high score!

Players:  One or fewer

Controls:  Maybe

How to play:

Start the game.  Watch for a minute or two.  Walk away.  Come back in half an hour and check in.  Walk away.  Come back the following day, week, month. Check in.  Do you have the high score yet?

Secret tip:

If you'd like to be slightly more active in your play, be sure your sound is on.  It might occasionally rouse you to alertness!

So, let me know what you think, if you find bugs, etc.  As the title and "how to play" suggest, this game is indeed a slow burn--give it time.  And, of course, be sure to post your high scores!  Extra special fake bonus points if you're playing on a real TV.

Starting slow.
A lot of emptiness.
A bit of terrain.
Every new score is a high score.

Attached Files

Edited by bjbest60, Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:10 PM.

#2 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• 1,445 posts

Posted Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:06 AM

I got 13, then had to move on to other things. I did find myself saying "just one more room" to myself several times before I quit though.

#3 Arenafoot OFFLINE  

Arenafoot

Dragonstomper

• 895 posts
  • videogamestores.net/

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:37 PM

i got a 31

Attached Thumbnails

• Capture3.JPG

#4 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• 1,445 posts

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:19 PM

Just broke 100! Are there any plans to add more? Maybe different types of events or use the console switches? Or have I just not stumbled across those yet?

Edit: Got up to 235 before I finally shut it off.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20171216_121601.jpg
  • 20171216_140328.jpg

Edited by KaeruYojimbo, Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:34 PM.

#5 bjbest60 OFFLINE  

bjbest60

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:27 PM

235!  Not bad.

Well, the big exciting change at 100 is the change in the player's color.  The points are also doubled once you hit 100 (and tripled plus another color change when you hit 1,000, etc.). 

There's nothing fundamentally different about the game, though.  It lasts for as long as you want it to.  But I'm very open to suggestions.  I thought about using the switches for something that felt meaningful, but I couldn't really come up with anything.  Maybe if you held down the select switch, the player would move faster (and then return to normal once you released the switch)?  I don't know if that would add anything.  Or maybe some combination of switches increases the drop rate of the items you collect?  That feels Easter egg-y and I don't know if it changes the experience in any significant way.  I don't have much room left in the ROM, but I'm definitely interested in ideas about things that could make the game more engaging.

#6 KaeruYojimbo OFFLINE  

KaeruYojimbo

Stargunner

• 1,445 posts

Posted Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:11 AM

Without much ROM left I'm not sure what your options are, but a few little things to mix up the encounters could add a lot of interest. Little things like sometimes having the item move the opposite direction the player moves the joystick or the item only being visible when it isn't moving. Not huge changes, just enough to occasionally make the player think "Whoa, hey, what's going on here?"

#7 bjbest60 OFFLINE  

bjbest60

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:31 PM

Those are both great ideas.  I figure I could also add one or two more pickups once the score hits 100 or 1,000.  I haven't really tried ensuring the code is as compact as it could be, so I imagine I'd be able to find a bit of room.  I'll play with it a bit.  Thanks!

#8 bjbest60 OFFLINE  

bjbest60

Space Invader

• Topic Starter
  • 46 posts

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:16 PM

I've added v2 of the beta to the top post.  There are two main changes:

1.)  Once you hit 100 points, a new pickup gets added into the rotation, worth 11 points (not counting the multiplier) if taken.

2.)  After some soul-searching, I doubled the drop rate to move the game along a bit.  (Though it's still a slow burn.)

I wanted to implement more ideas, but I also wanted to keep the game at 4k and I currently have 3 bytes left.  It could definitely be expanded to 8k, but I'm not sure if there's anything that'd make the game sufficiently new / different to justify it.

So, try the game out if you haven't!  Get the high score!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: experimental

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users