IGNORED

ATX Case that looks like an Apple II on Indiegogo

JamesD

Well, I think it's pretty neat; my only wish is that since it's not really an *exact* copy of an original Apple II anyway, I'd have rather had a IIe Platinum style full keyboard with a number pad. But I can't say it's the difference between me buying one and not. (I probably won't either way, just because of the price.)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Wouldn't you be able to get an Orange, Pineapple or any other other Apple II clone for far less than $200, in particular if it is a broken unit with intact shell? Of course it means you need to adjust it internally to fit a modern PC keyboard but it shouldn't be all that much rocket science if the board fits physically.

• Like 1

Wouldn't you be able to get an Orange, Pineapple or any other other Apple II clone for far less than $200, in particular if it is a broken unit with intact shell? Of course it means you need to adjust it internally to fit a modern PC keyboard but it shouldn't be all that much rocket science if the board fits physically.

The clones are rarer than the Apples. I'm not sure if that would be much cheaper or not.

Hm, I thought the world was littered with clones but I suppose not. The reason why I recommended one is that I thought the value of a genuine Apple computer still would be higher, irregardless of supply and demand, than that of a clone system but if it is hard to obtain, it is a moot point.

Anyway, I'm not in the market for one of those cases. I already built my PC inside a Commodore dual floppy drive which was an empty, free case for me and no bulky, useless keyboard in the way.

Buy an Apple //e with numeric keypad for $99 on eBay (no relation to auction; only providing link for price comparison). Gut the case, sell the innards and disk drive to reclaim some of the purchase cost, then clean up the case and house your motherboard in that. You'll be around $150 up on the deal over the cost of the 3D-printed one by the time you do that.

It's neat, but not $250 neat.

• Like 1

I saw this posted earlier today elsewhere. It's a pretty cool idea. But they lost me once they got the price tag that they put on it. It's too expensive for a novelty. If I want on that bad, I'd just try to 3d print it rather than spend a couple of hundred dollars on a computer case.

• 2 months later...

Just surveying around but....

Imma thinking of designing/making Monitor box to slap on top. It'll use a lcd and maybe have something other stuff inside(ie harddrives)

since I mostly only got macintoshes laying around (I know nothing about apple II's), Was wondering What vintage apple monitor design should I base my monitor box on? ie a specific model

(advice and other tips would be nice!)

thanks~

Just surveying around but....

Imma thinking of designing/making Monitor box to slap on top. It'll use a lcd and maybe have something other stuff inside(ie harddrives)

since I mostly only got macintoshes laying around (I know nothing about apple II's), Was wondering What vintage apple monitor design should I base my monitor box on? ie a specific model

(advice and other tips would be nice!)

thanks~

CyhZMRa.jpg

(Largely because nobody ever picks the Monitor ///.)

why do people promote this ignorant twat ... actually watch his video's its just like 15 year old noob's day one in 8 bit computers

He's just symptomatic (and stereotypical) of what's crap about YouTube: the subject of his videos is simply a flimsy excuse for him to be on camera.

Every time I see a teaser still on YouTube of someone making a ridiculously-exaggerated (and -staged) facial expression, I pass on general principles. It's generally a sure sign that they're a tool.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

Are you guys sure you're talking about the 8-bit guy? I don't get the ignorant 15 year old vibe at all. And it's the Linus Tech Tips guy who has the exaggerated staged face thumbnail.

Seriously... I feel like people are so eager to fly off the handle about anything on YouTube sometimes that they don't even pay attention to what they're commenting on. 8-bit Guy actually makes his own homebrew games *and* writes music on the C64, so to say it's like his first day on 8 bit computers is just kind of weird. I doubt very many people here know 1% of what he does about 8 bit computers.

Linus from Linus Tech Tips does make the clickbaity thumbnails but he has actually addressed that in a video. Short answer is he does it because they work. He's been totally up front about that; the videos with thumbnails like that get more views. I actually like Linus; he's obviously making videos mostly for a slightly younger crowd, but he's doing it from a position of knowledge, and he's completely honest and transparent about everything he does.

He gave this case a mixed review if you watch the video linked above.

Edited by spacecadet

I saw 8-bit guy at the Dallas Makerspace Retro Computing meet-up, so, I even admit, that my initial assessment of the guy (who I commented veraciously about his incorrect statements on why the black bars on the VCS happen), was grossly incorrect, and have apologised to him.

-Thom