IGNORED

What to do with my 5200..

Inky

A few years ago, Dauber and I made an exchange - I traded him my 600XL for his 5200 (I actually have his brother's 65XE, so I still have an 8-bit computer.) This is a 4 port with the switchbox. I know I have to get the controllers fixed. That's a given. I do have a Wico stick, but the buttons on the stock 5200 controllers just don't work. Is there just a 5200 keypad that can plug into the Wico Y adapter?.

I want an AV mod. I reached out to Bryan about this. I'd like to With an AV mod, how does the power adapter work?

I hadn't owned a 5200 since the local Zayre store was closing them out when I was 17. I REALLY want to get this one up to snuff.

As an aside I have another 5200 that doesn't work at all. Black screen that appears when it gets powered on.

Edited by Inky

For the controllers you can get new buttons and flex circuits from Best Electronics - or if you don't want to mess around with them yourself you can buy fully refurbished ones from him. http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/5200.htm

Here's his page on how to rebuild the controllers: http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/cx52_j.htm

I haven't done the AV mod yet, but there is an easy mod you can do to get rid of the switchbox and plug the power directly into the system, I just finished doing this to both my 4-ports: http://atariage.com/forums/topic/20871-atari-5200-4-port-power-modification-warning-big/

• Like 1

Best wants to sell you as much as possible but he also seems to want to make things as complicated as possible. If your buttons don't work, just buy a flex circuit for $2.25 and replace it - you'll be good to go. It takes 5 minutes. The hardest part is getting everything on the flex circuit folded over right so that it all fits together 100%. You kinda need 3 hands. But it's more tricky than it is difficult. That's where 4 minutes and 30 seconds of the 5 minutes comes from :)

If you are taking the controllers apart you might as well do it right and replace the flex circuit and all the rubber buttons with gold ones.

For $25 worth of parts you'll have a good long lasting controller.

I have two Best rebuilt controllers and one that i did myself, they all work great.

He will also give you credit for your old controllers when purchasing his rebuilt's but the cost of shipping them to him outweighted the cost of returning them, hence That is why I bought the parts to rebuild my own. I would do it again as it wasn't hard at all.

As for the video mod. I have the LHE board installed by Joe at electronicsemimentalies.com. you send him the Circuit board only (to save cost) and the little plastic panel on back where he mounts all the jacks. He installs composite and s-video.

My video has never been better and i highly recommend the mod!. I liked it so much that I ordered the circuit board (he sell it too) and installed it on my 7800.If your electronically savvy you can DIY and save, if not Joe does a great job.

Also from time to time he has completely modified units for sale...contact him if you want one of those.

• Like 1

I've spoken to Inky about it and advised him to get in touch with Bryan on getting a UAV for his AV mod for now and to get his power mod components through Console5.com. As for the controllers, there are several options and he that is up to him to decide on at this point. Excellent system overall with a great library to boot and I feel worth the investment to get things working properly.

you can make your own keypad if you have slight soldering skills and order a matrix keypad and a 15 pin female and some 8 conductor cable or just 8 wires and it probably would cost like $5 and it wont work with the overlays

if you have enough controllers you can take one and remove the rubber buttons and just use a paperclip to make the connections

there is the official wico keypad but to find one will cost you

here is what i would do if i were you is to get a 15 pin female end and solder a push button between pins 4 and 7 to just press start that is enough for me any games that need the keypad are way to involved for my casual play

i like nice simple games

berzerk

robotron

digdug

moonpatrol

star wars

star wars death star

kangaroo

jungle hunt

galaxian

space invaders

centipede

joust

missile command

kaboom

pengo

qix

riverraid

wizard of wor

mario brothers

popeye

vanguard (cant get enough of that rainbow zone music)

new info

if you cant solder there are these things

if you can source a push button locally with 2 wires attached

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-12V-24V-Universal-Car-Push-Button-Switch-with-2-pin10cm-Wire-Waterproof-Red/322910461391

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12v-10MM-Mini-SPST-Momentary-ON-OFF-Push-Button-Switch-w-Lead-Wire/262599386949

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DB15-D-SUB-VGA-15pin-Female-Adapter-Jack-Terminal-Breakout-PCB-Board-T1/252514376767?epid=1486949891

this wont fit in the 5200 console but will work with the wico y cable

heck i could throw one together for you for 85 cents but shipping anything thicker than a buisness card costs $2.75

Edited by bohoki

Take the POKEY's and other chips out, and ditch the rest, sell the joysticks. :P

But I love my 5200!

I was considering taking the POKEY out of the unit that doesn't work, but I don't think I'm going to do that. I think it can be salvaged.

• Like 1

The Atari 8-bit Dual POKEY mods work in the 5200. So once, say, Tempest Elite - or whatever it's called - is converted to the 5200, there's a title that could benefit from Dual POKEY madness.

If you want to go the RGB route instead of [peasant] composite, the VBXE and the new SOPHIA plug-in board for the Atari 8-bits also work in the 5200. There's videos on YouTube with them installed in the 8-bits but with notations that they have successfully installed them into 5200s. :)

That's a bummer about Electronic Sentimentalities.

As for controllers, check out the thread here in 5200 land for the Jaguar-to-5200 Adapter. The Jaguar JagPads are perfect for any 5200 title that doesn't require analog. There's also a production run about to start to make more Jaguar ProControllers. And as for those analog titles, definitely get a CX53 Trak-Ball Controller!

Edited by Lynxpro

The 5200 that only shows blank screen, if the LED comes on you have a few options. One: one of 2 5v regulator is dead. Check with meter on volt setting between G and O pin (Google for pinout, I think silkscreen has one wrong) and there should be 4.75 to 5.25v If they are low or 0, check for hot chip. Remove hot chip, recheck for 5v on regulator and if present, replace suspect dead chip with known good chip. If the regulator is still low and you don't have any more hot chip, you may have a dead volt regulator. 7805 is pretty common and cheap.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm going to get a best kit for one of my controllers and rebuild it. What all would I need to order? <insert generic complaint about site here>

go to this page

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/5200.htm

Gold Plated Rev. 9 Felix Circuits are $14.95 each. CO18124-G

second generation Gold Numeric Keypad are $7 each. CO18126-G 2nd

Gold Auxiliary Keypad are $5 each. CO18128-G

Gold Fire buttons with Tactical feed back feature. CO20501-GT $7 per fire button

There is also a ebay listing for a complete kit currently

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ATARI-5200-JOYSTICK-CONTROLLER-GOLD-REBUILD-REPAIR-KIT-CX-52/391953779038?hash=item5b4244095e:g:2HkAAOSwLVZVoVlR

pretty easy to do, I rebuilt mine some time back and they are still working perfectly.

Well it still costs over $40 for the parts separately, and that auction includes free shipping...so really...kind of a wash in regards to price.

I just stick with my HVAC tape and replace that out every few years. Good enough for me...

Yep, it's about $46 but I love my controller. I tried repairing using foil, etc. but it did not work well for me at all. The rebuilt kits works flawlessly and I'm starting to like the 5200 controller.

Which things did it come with? Flex Circuit, buttons with gold plating? I replaced the flex circuits years ago, and did the foil. With mixed results. To the point where the system is barely playable. I have 4 controllers that I repaired, but didn't use gold. Aluminum is not that much less of a conductor than gold, but I think it's just the Best ones have more of it, and harder/thicker.

I bought a 5200 and a bunch of cartridges a about a year ago, the joystick worked okay for about a month, now it's not playable. Now it just sits in the desk not being used. It would cost me as much, if not more for a joystick fix than I spent on the machine itself. I kind of regret buying it now.

gallery_35324_1931_95527.jpg

gallery_35324_1931_29132.jpg

gallery_35324_1027_65863.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet 5200 setup nonetheless, Omega. I'm afraid my own 5200 sdtup finally defeated me, the controllers keep having problems to the point I got tired of it all. I do have a Masterplay Interface with Sega Genesis pad, but I always loved the unique analog control of Missile Command, Centipede, Star Raiders, Defender, etc. Plus any game using 2 buttons or the Keypad should use the stock sticks. Without the analog , i might as well play the games on emulator or on A8.

• Like 1

Anyone buying a 5200 should just assume the controllers won't work or will fail and factor in at least one rebuild kit.

You are then good to go. I ended up overpaying for mine as well and after getting over it and ordering the kit I've been a 5200 playing fool.

I have an RGB modded 2600 but it sits there while my 5200 via RF is getting a workout! S-video is forthcoming.

Someone asked what comes in a complete kit.

1. Flex Circuit

2. Gold Fire button (2)

3. Gold Number Pad

4. Gold Start-Pause-Rest Pad

And it is not a difficult DIY project. There's also a YouTube video.

Absolutely worth the effort.

• Like 1

I've worked on them before, not difficult but not super easy. I actually still have the tool that takes the knobs off safely, ha ha. I'll see, might have to bite the bullet rather than scrap it and move to an 800.

If you're referring to the 5200 controller, it comes apart fairly easy. Remove the screw on the back and carefully pry apart. Just need a little TLC so as not to mar the controller with anything you use to pry it apart.

Anyone buying a 5200 should just assume the controllers won't work or will fail and factor in at least one rebuild kit.

You are then good to go. I ended up overpaying for mine as well and after getting over it and ordering the kit I've been a 5200 playing fool.

Someone asked what comes in a complete kit.

1. Flex Circuit

2. Gold Fire button (2)

3. Gold Number Pad

4. Gold Start-Pause-Rest Pad

And it is not a difficult DIY project. There's also a YouTube video.

Absolutely worth the effort.

I have pulled the controller apart before, and the hardest part is putting the stick back on the pots. Everything else is easy