Running a PAL system in the US?

PAL NTSC video signal converter power supply CRT monitor

1 reply to this topic

#1 JeremiahK OFFLINE  

JeremiahK

Chopper Commander

• 187 posts

Posted Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:34 PM

Since I have begun dabbling in programming for the Atari 2600, I have become interested in running a PAL system for testing purposes.  I have one wood-grain 4-switch NTSC VCS, and there are multiple PAL VCS's for sale on eBay at reasonable prices.

My main question is about displaying the signal.  I obviously don't have a PAL CRT, and the only way to get one would be to pay a fortune to ship one from across the pond.  Not to mention that I would need to power it with the proper voltage at 50Hz.  I have heard that the Commodore 64 1080/1084 monitors will accept PAL signals, though (I think), but getting a PAL CRT is pretty much out of the question for now.

I was thinking of instead getting a signal converter so I could display the picture on a NTSC CRT, something like in this video.  It seems too good to be true, but could something as inexpensive as this converter be all I need?

One other question.  I noticed that my power supply converts from 110V 60Hz to 9v DC.  If I plug a PAL system into a US wall outlet, will it work properly?  Or will I need a different power supply?  I would assume that both NTSC and PAL systems run at 9V, but I may be wrong.

Edited by JeremiahK, Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:42 PM.

#2 JeremiahK OFFLINE  

JeremiahK

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 187 posts

Posted Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:33 AM

I have moved this thread to the 2600 forum, as it is more of a 2600 hardware question than a general hardware question.  If a moderator wants to delete this thread, that would be fine with me.

http://atariage.com/...stem-in-the-us/

Edited by JeremiahK, Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:34 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PAL, NTSC, video signal, converter, power supply, CRT, monitor

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users