IGNORED

LAKKA OS (GREAT ATARI 2600 EMULATION)

jmp4me444

Hello all,

Not sure if this is just old news, but the LAKKA OS seems, to me, to be the best way to view/manipulate Atari roms. Meaning, the roms aspect ratio can be changed to almost anything you want. Being able to play any Atari 2600 Rom, in a 16:9 aspect ratio in full true HD, gives you the best modern viewing experience for these games. I play the roms, thru the Lakka OS, which is installed on a modern Intel PC as the sole dedicated operating system. Although the latest Atari Flashback 8 HD does a good job as well, the aspect ratio of the games is not great as they don't fill the screen. With this emulator, you can even view box art while flipping thru your list of games. If you like to experiment you can install the OS on a Rasberry Pi, or eqivalent, and fit it inside the original case of an Atari 2600. For more information see the site below.

http://www.lakka.tv/

Enjoy!

As DirtyHairy said, you can adjust aspect ratio in Stella to fill the screen if you want. I strongly disagree that's "best modern viewing experience" though...
I want to see the games in their native aspect ratio, playing them distorted and stretched to fill the screen is just atrocious in my opinion.

I sometimes play the 2600 (real hardware) on a 16/9 crt, but I always set it to 4/3 aspect ratio (with vertical bands at the sides) when I do that.

Edited by alex_79
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

yea I looked at lakka, it is just a xmb style fronted for retro arch, and it has really terrible performance for what its doing, being a front end

on a pi3 it was slogging around so bad it would take several seconds to register a keypress changing the menu and running at like 0.something fps, I also tried it on my intel atom system which is what is powering my mini arcade and it was responsive but still very sluggish for a simple XMB work-alike (and yea I know its a slow machine, but it plays soul caliber FFS)

Edited by Osgeld