IGNORED

HSC14 Round 22: ARCHON bonus War Room

therealbountybob

Something I noticed is that the POKEY version of the Archon theme and the SID version of the same theme, musically are quite different! Here is a recording by Tommy Dunbar himself, in which he combines the Archon and Adept themes. Note how in the Adept theme a few minutes into the clip, he intentionally goes off-key, something that was corrected in at least the SID and I believe also POKEY versions for the Adept game. Apparently someone thought he had made a mistake...

(and yes, soon I'm ready to play a game for the HSC as well)

Edit: Ok, I played one round as Dark and lasted until only my Sorcerer remained vs Light Wizard and one Knight, which unfortunately took my virginity. Thus I can only claim the first and easiest challenge, to have played the game, not winning so far.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

this is what I like about the HSC not just the playing [and beating McKong ;) ] but the discussion and info on the games, if you get the new Pro© mag you'll see I've covered several games from this season.

Archon is superb two player - I once had a niece playing vs her older brother, neither had seen the game before it was incredible to watch th learning curve and she came back and won it, it was a brutal match!

I've got revenge on those goodie goodies (no summon)

post-19705-0-62615600-1513863486.jpg

"Archon II: The Adept" is really good and much harder but spoiled for me by the comouter always choosing Apocalypse when you are just starting to do well - this puts the whole game into 1 battle and I always lose. Would be great to have the logic adjusted on this.

Archon iteslf is not too difficult once you are up to speed, I'm enjoying re-learning the game. I didn't expect deteacher to be so good but hopefully there will be a challenge that he can't manage! Anyone who can't get a win can still get 1pt point for playing each challenge

Next for me is to win with no spells!

Have fun

• Like 2

Perhaps Adept should have the house rule (hard to implement in a computer game, I know) that as the opponent, you get to deny a request for apocalypse 3 times before it is inevitable, and that the player casting the spell has to wait at least one own round before casting it again. It would buy you as the opponent another 6 rounds to finish the game by other means.

• Like 1

Challenges 1 and 2 completed playing as dark.

I'll read the instructions at some point as I'm sure I don't really know what I'm doing!

Just kick their butts!

A good start move is to teleport one of your pieces (on their coloured squares) onto one of their pieces on your coloured squares.

• Like 1

Light side wins by capturing 5 power points. (Challenge 2)

Since I didn't get to use any spells at all, I suppose it qualifies for challenges 4 and 5 as well, plus that I never got to move my unicorns which means it also fits challenge 7, all in a single game?

Edit: I saw now that challenges 4 and 5 are only for elimination games, not power point games so I'll revoke that claim.

post-5454-0-99114400-1513977973.jpg

Best part of it all: the game was over in 6.5 minutes! I captured the power points I easily could get. The computer used his Shapeshifter trying to take out my knight but failed, revived his Shapeshifter to attack the knight again, failed once more. I had two attempts at his Sorcerer, first with the Djinn and then with the Golem and hey presto, it all was over!

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Tables for Archon

names enboldened means challenge completed!

The Challenges

Play each one using both Light and Dark sides (so you get two sets of points for each challenge). NTSC players - let me know if you think the game is too hard to beat - on PAL(UK) it's challenging but not impossible!

1 play Archon! 1pt

L trbb, mckong, carlsson, deteacher, slx, redthunder

D trbb, mckong, carlsson, deteacher, slx, redthunder

2 win by capturing 5 power points 2pts

3 win by eliminating the opponent 3pts - bonus point for least lost pieces/best performance we'll have to agree on this!

L best: deteacher with only 1 piece lost/revived 1pt

L fastest: redthunder in 21:15 (pal) 1pt

4 no summon elemental allowed - win by elimination 1pt

5 no spells allowed - win by elimination 2pts

6 sacrifice your wizard/sauceror - move them into a battle at the first opportunitiy - no other moves, and let them be killed. No spells allowed. Opponent moves first.

6a - win by capturing 5 power points 1pt

6b - win by eliminating the opponent 2pts

7 no Unicorns/Basilisks, no spells allowed. Do not move them and when they are attacked sacrifice them both! Opponent moves first.

7a - win by capturing 5 power points 1pt

7b - win by eliminating the opponent 2pts

8 no Ogres/Trolls, no Djini/Dragon, no spells allowed. Do not move them and when they are attacked sacrifice them all! Opponent moves first.

8a - win by capturing 5 power points 1pt

8b - win by eliminating the opponent 2pts

9 NEW "The how about this then deteacher Challenge" No power point use. 1st move wizard/sauceror onto neutral square. Then move all pieces onto neutral or squares of the opposite colour - no attacking opponent until this is done. No spells allowed. You are not allowed onto squares of your own colour. Win by elimination. 2pts

L

D

10 Bonus play 2 player (not on your own!!), 2pts for each game - max 10pts

carlsson x1 , redthunder x3

• Like 2

Like Christmas challenge #9 has arrived, apart from Christmas not arriving this was a great analagy! OK Challenge #9 has been added especailly for deteacher ;)

9 NEW "The how about this then deteacher Challenge" No power point use. 1st move wizard/sauceror onto neutral square. Then move all pieces onto neutral or squares of the opposite colour - no attacking opponent until this is done. No spells allowed. 2pts

What this should ammount to is the computer having four power points (you are not allowed on them) and you have to prevent them getting to the last one - not sure what will happen at the end.

Try and play the challenges in order - Read the rules carefully!

Merry Christmas to all :)

• Like 1

Like Christmas challenge #9 has arrived, apart from Christmas not arriving this was a great analagy! OK Challenge #9 has been added especailly for deteacher ;)

9 NEW "The how about this then deteacher Challenge" No power point use. 1st move wizard/sauceror onto neutral square. Then move all pieces onto neutral or squares of the opposite colour - no attacking opponent until this is done. No spells allowed. 2pts

What this should ammount to is the computer having four power points (you are not allowed on them) and you have to prevent them getting to the last one - not sure what will happen at the end.

Still reckon a timed game to Elimination would work

AND a Merry 8bit Christmas to all

Still reckon a timed game to Elimination would work

AND a Merry 8bit Christmas to all

It's there as a bonus on #3 ;)

Completed Dark sacrificing Sauceror, suffering succotash - what could be more Christmassy than that? :D

post-19705-0-66177000-1514132709.jpg

[edit[

Also completed as Light

post-19705-0-75248500-1514157304.jpg

• Like 1

The computer used his Shapeshifter trying to take out my knight but failed, revived his Shapeshifter to attack the knight again, failed once more. I had two attempts at his Sorcerer, first with the Djinn and then with the Golem and hey presto, it all was over!

Computer usage of the Shapeshifter as well as Imprison spells is quite erratic.

Wow! I have a challenge named after me?!?!? I feel so honored...heading out to spend Xmas gift cards, but I'll give that one a go when I get home. :)

• Like 2

What the hell? Somehow I overlooked this HSC round with ARCHON !!!!

Always one of my favorite (perhaps THE favorite in terms of a fun challenge begging for repeat plays!) and my teen-aged sons both love it too. We get into some pretty heated family battles which always has us swearing like sailors, but that's just the passion coming out! In fact we've had a couple heated Archon sessions over the Christmas break already.

Ok, do I still have time to play toward the challenge? I gotta get my sons in on this too. :)

Awesome, wish I had seen this sooner!

• Like 2