IGNORED

HSC14 Round 22: ARCHON bonus War Room

therealbountybob

Accomplished a few using the dark side so far.

I had forgotten how annoying it is to fight against the Phoenix.

And also how effective the computer is using the Knights in melee combat!

1 play Archon! 1pt

2 win by capturing 5 power points 2pts

post-38281-0-76459700-1514486516_thumb.jpg

3 win by eliminating the opponent 3pts

post-38281-0-21641900-1514486549_thumb.jpg

Not my prettiest game, was actually a nail-biter.

last challenge:

- play BBK's "Clash of Kings" with another player: http://a8.fandal.cz/detail.php?files_id=3230

Now you will know how great Archon really is !

When done here's a programmer's challenge:

1) Hack in some colours to the figures on the board, so you have two clearly distinguishable parties. As it is, both parties figures are in white colour on the game board. When in battle mode, one party moves the red, the other party moves the green figure - maybe these colours can be used on the board (e.g. with DLI's ) also ?

2) make the King NOT stand at the front (as it is, right in the middle), since when he 's eliminated the game is over. Move the King to the last line instead (in the middle).

3) As it is, all figures can only move 1 step on the board, change that, so that some figures can move 1 step, some can move 2 steps (should be done equally for both parties)...

4) Create a computer component with a) weak A.I. (easy game), b) medium A.I. (medium game) and c) good A.I. (hard game)

And if you are looking for a bigger programmer's challenge:

- change Archon 2 in such a way that it is possible to win against the computer... not too easy and not too hard, but possible!

EDIT: for all cheaters, here's a cheat for Archon:

(gives you more white figures, even figures you have not lost!)

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 2

Personally I would think it is easier to develop an Archon-esque game from scratch than hacking and patching an existing game, in particular if it lacks many desired elements. In particular for other systems where Archon is lacking, I think this approach would be preferred as you could tailor your game as you like without trying to obtain a possibly expensive and hard to get Archon license and stick exactly to the original spec. I know there is some home made 3D printed board game based on Archon which got Jon Freeman's blessing as long as it was not commercialized, and have previously read that certain homebrew publishers have obtained rights to develop and publish versions of Archon, though so far it doesn't seem to have been implemented.

Hey CC "Clash of Kings" looks an interesting game will check it out :thumbsup:

Thanks for that video too - I thought there was a cheat; so it's just where you stand for the revive - I tried it on the power point but they changed back to knights/goblins when I put them on the board! :thumbsup:

I've completed #8 as Light which was fairly easy now that I've been playing so much

8 no Ogres/Trolls, no Djini/Dragon, no spells allowed. Do not move them and when they are attacked sacrifice them all! Opponent moves first.

but failed as Dark!

If we do this gain should exclude the shapeshifter as I usually play light I found myself using it to decimate the light side's best pieces :-D

The round ends on Tuesday, January 2nd so you'll have a few more days to participate.

Yes season ends 10pm UK time (5pm EST) ;-)

• Like 1

ok, knocked a couple out with the light side last night...

I am just making it a habit now to only play withOUT any spells.

So both of these were without using any spell conjuring, for what it's worth.

Played as light side and won without any spells, only lost one of my guys (a darn knight!)...

post-38281-0-25771900-1514567440_thumb.jpg

Played as light side and won without any spells, unfortunately my wizard was the last man standing! (gulp)

post-38281-0-90480100-1514567380_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

i tried out clash of kings, i had never seen that before. Interesting "poor man's archon". Not bad.

No angles.

Sometimes I wish Archon didn't have any angles when i am playing against the computer. Angles are SO HARD to get just right using the joystick, but of course that's no problem for the Computer enemies!

Try something like a Starplex if you got one. Unlike the previous round when we played Crystal Castles, this time I think a joystick consisting of five separate buttons has its benefits in steering if you're used to it.

I played a couple more games, but failed to complete any more of the challenges.

Actually I came up with one more way to loose the game:

post-5454-0-28550600-1514587293.jpg

Unfortunately that is me losing as dark side, finding my remaining sorceress imprisoned on a non-power point square. I suppose that is as close as losing by elimination one can get.

Edited by carlsson
  • Like 1

Ok, I briefly tried the two bonus games:

War Room - Nice little shooter, though if you run out of ammo and don't get to reload before the opponent, you are mostly toast. If there is some strategy to it, it is completely different from the Archon battles so a bit unfair to compare. Plus points for having a computer opponent, though I didn't find if it has multiple difficulty levels or not. At least I failed to win a single round, so no bonus points in the HSC.

The Clash of Kings - Oh, now I understand this is strictly a two player game using different joystick ports. If I want to play with myself, I have other means.

• Like 2

Out of interest had a quick look at Clash of Kings (needs 2 players), takes a while to walk the pieces into each other, only tried 3 piece types but the battles were the same - was expecting some variation of weapons etc. No diagonals.

Red Thunder gets a couple of bonus points for the Archwork - see what I did there :-D

Archon - anyone struggling on the diagonals try playing with a firmer stick !

Will be hitting the battlefields later on :)

• Like 3

Out of interest had a quick look at Clash of Kings (needs 2 players), takes a while to walk the pieces into each other, only tried 3 piece types but the battles were the same - was expecting some variation of weapons etc. No diagonals.

Red Thunder gets a couple of bonus points for the Archwork - see what I did there :-D

Archon - anyone struggling on the diagonals try playing with a firmer stick !

Will be hitting the battlefields later on :)

Archwork

On another note I was pondering trying a Archon type game in Game maker or something. Or Cocos2D but it take me about twenty years :)

But the name could be ARCHWORK.

I've done a couple more, they are quite rough being a concept based on the original icons. All done with Reed and Indian ink.

And...

Remember the game Claim Jumper that had an Archon style shooting area.

See later guys.

Edited by RedThunder
  • Like 1

Managed a win on War Room!

There is a method to the madness!! I can usually win now, but of course that is after playing the game a TON !! :-D

Still, it takes a lot of effort and focus to beat Rob's CPU AI routine. :-o

Basically two things are really key:

1) Get good at picking up bullet clips as soon as they appear. If you let the inertia glide you past them the CPU will beat you to the clips every time.

2) Pay attention to where the CPU player is heading, he is under the same influence of inertia as your player is, so you can anticipate where he is going to go and the soonest he will be able to turn around. So you can shoot ahead of him and then run away. The CPU player, on the other hand, does not really do a lot of "shooting ahead of where you are" so if you stay moving perpendicular to the CPU players movement he has a hard time hitting you.

You can also learn to bait the CPU into the slime (not easy though), or intentionally wait to pick up bullet clips until the CPU has already set a course toward one of them, and then swipe up the bullet clip leaving the CPU helpless with no bullets and still gliding under the power of inertia. That's when you nail him several times.

• Like 1

For those of you who would consider touching a Commode, I found an obscure game called Space Warriors that has quite a few Archon-esque elements, minus the power points. I only checked it out briefly, but at least it supports a CPU opponent.

http://www.gamebase64.com/game.php?h=0&id=17470

I also found a BASIC game called Cosmic Chess in which the pieces have lasers and shields, plus of course Laser Chess from COMPUTE! that also should exist on the Atari 8-bit though it is MIA on Atarimania. Both those seem more like variants of chess than anything else.

• Like 1

I've just been messing around, might not be what I thought but I did find this: if you choose revive (lose a piece first) and then click on the bottom space instead of the lost piece you get a random(?) piece but when it gets planted on the board it is only a knight. So not much use really :D

Not true !

When using the revive function, you have to click on the bottom space (which is empty) and choose the "nothing" there, then place this nothing (or maybe some garbage that appears) on the board - directly besides your Wizard or Sorceress. Now, depending on which line your Wizard or Sorceress is standing, you get different figures:

line 0 - Archon (title text, just so you know this is line zero)

line 1:

line 2:

line 3:

line 4:

line 5:

line 6: white unicorn!

line 7:

line 8:

line 9:

(Tip: Move your Wizard or Sorceress to a certain line before you choose the revive function, to get a wanted figure! If you are unsure, run several tests with options set to 2-players and control both sides. Then write down the figure you get when the Wizard is standing in line 1, line 2, etc. and if you like, do the same with the Sorceress and hopefully she gets the same figures when standing in line 1, line 2, etc., since that is what happened when I used this cheat...)

You can see in the video I uploaded at youtube, that I got 2 white unicorns by placing the Wizard and later the Sorceress in line 6, so I had 4 white unicorns on the board. I have a list somewhere with the figures one gets for all nine lines, afair, there is one line where you get nothing and three (or more?) lines where you only get knights, but other white figures are also possible ! (And now, please don't say that Archon is racist, since one can only get white figures with this cheat.)

EDIT: Wrote this already at AA forum, you can find my original post here (including the figures you get for all nine lines): http://atariage.com/forums/topic/209411-archon-who-can-do-this/?do=findComment&comment=2705203

Edited by CharlieChaplin
  • Like 3