Photo

TI Basic + sprite games

116 replies to this topic

#101 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,968 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 11:32 PM

Wow!   All this is extremely interesting, but not practical for the more normal BASIC programmer.  However, TI BASIC PLUS (TIB+) includes the full 32 sprite capability (thanks to Mark Wills) using CALL's to assembly language routines.  It can be implemented using E/A, Mini Memory, or a GRAM device or a disk controller with the Myarc disk controller DSR that includes TI BASIC support.  Currently the best solutions are an 80K MG GramKracker or HSGPL card, and hopefully, the FinalGROM99 will provide the ultimate solution.  These three versions will allow the user to write TI BASIC programs of up to 40K and more with GROM base switching.  Hopefully this is enough to "wet the appetites" of some of the would be BASIC programmers out there.

Bill, could you please start a thread here in the Development forum for TIB+ discussions?  I have been intrigued by this project for at least a decade now, and I am eager to hear your progress, how your hardware issues turned out, and if you have plans on implementing TIB+ somehow in conjunction with the FG99 cardridge.  It's good to see you contributing here, my friend.  I miss our conversations.

#102 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Chopper Commander

• 225 posts

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:34 PM

Hmm I put out a version of RXB that switched GROMs using a second banks of GROM for EA Cart including the Editor, GPL Assembler, EA Assembler and EA support for TI Basic.

>9800                                 Any other page of GROM up to >983C

RXB GROM 3 to 6             Editor/GPL Assember/Assembler/EA Support

REA GROM 7

When in REA Cart would switch GROM and load requested support routines into RAM.

Yes, this was also done with the original release of the Gram Kracker.  TI XB was loaded in GRAM 3 - 6, and TI EA was moved to GRAM 7.  They also included a lower case character set that could be loaded in GRAM 0 for the 80K version of GK.  Of course I load the Tursi modified version of your TI BASIC in GRAMs 1 & 2, so that the EA enhancements work for TI BASIC programs running in GRAMS 3 - 7.  Which means it will be possible to load 40K of  different TI BASIC programs in all available GROM pages.  Hopefully Ralph will be able to make this a reality in the next update to FG99.

#103 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Chopper Commander

• 225 posts

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:45 PM

Bill, could you please start a thread here in the Development forum for TIB+ discussions?  I have been intrigued by this project for at least a decade now, and I am eager to hear your progress, how your hardware issues turned out, and if you have plans on implementing TIB+ somehow in conjunction with the FG99 cardridge.  It's good to see you contributing here, my friend.  I miss our conversations.

Probably a very good idea, as there are some areas I need assistance, like I had earlier.  Ralph has already agreed to look into making GROMs 0 - 2, maybe only 1 & 2, available for programming.  I have not heard back from him on this issue since last October.  I still have a few issues to fix with my replacement TI support PC, before I can do this.  I'll post an announcement in this thread when I do it.

#104 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 3,367 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:18 PM

Yes, this was also done with the original release of the Gram Kracker.  TI XB was loaded in GRAM 3 - 6, and TI EA was moved to GRAM 7.  They also included a lower case character set that could be loaded in GRAM 0 for the 80K version of GK.  Of course I load the Tursi modified version of your TI BASIC in GRAMs 1 & 2, so that the EA enhancements work for TI BASIC programs running in GRAMS 3 - 7.  Which means it will be possible to load 40K of  different TI BASIC programs in all available GROM pages.  Hopefully Ralph will be able to make this a reality in the next update to FG99.

Hmm NO that is not what I said at all. 

The RXB/REA used on of the other GROM Base Address entirely,  you just described what RXB 2015 does with EA in GROM 7.

As stated RXB and REA in different GROM PAGEs >9800 to >983C would find each other using flags I set up when the RXB or

REA was selected. VDP address >3EF4 stored the GROM address of the alternate GROM used for either RXB or REA.

If you started in REA it would save the GROM LSB Address second bytes of >00 to >3C which would be the is the address to return.

Exampe: RXB >9800 -------------------- REA >983C --------------- VDP Address >3EF4 would contain >3C (location of REA)

RXB could would always reside at >9800 GROM BASE and REA could be loaded into any other GROM BASE wanted.

Edited by RXB, Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:21 PM.

#105 FDOS OFFLINE  

FDOS

Chopper Commander

• 225 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:14 AM

Hmm NO that is not what I said at all. 

The RXB/REA used on of the other GROM Base Address entirely,  you just described what RXB 2015 does with EA in GROM 7.

As stated RXB and REA in different GROM PAGEs >9800 to >983C would find each other using flags I set up when the RXB or

REA was selected. VDP address >3EF4 stored the GROM address of the alternate GROM used for either RXB or REA.

If you started in REA it would save the GROM LSB Address second bytes of >00 to >3C which would be the is the address to return.

Exampe: RXB >9800 -------------------- REA >983C --------------- VDP Address >3EF4 would contain >3C (location of REA)

RXB could would always reside at >9800 GROM BASE and REA could be loaded into any other GROM BASE wanted.

I have no issue with that. I just want as much space in GROM 3 - 7 (all GROM bases) for TIB+ programs not occupied by other modules (RXB+EA or TIXB+EA or others).  I just choose to create my own modules using TIB+.

• RXB likes this

#106 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• 1,102 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:28 PM

An excellent topic .... one which has confounded me, and broke the "rules" of TI BASIC.

Also, one which is in entirely the wrong section of Atariage.  It should be in "development" not "computers" :)

#107 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,696 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:16 PM

Eh, it started out as a question about other programs which could do it besides Morphy then ballooned into what you see now.  I have not been bothered to move it because of how it started and how it is not really developing anything but teeters on the edge as a programming thread, but more of a demonstration of something impossible.

Rather than clutter up the thread with yeas and nays, if enough of the right people like your post I will move it and leave a link in this forum.

#108 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• 1,102 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:13 AM

I do apologise.  I was drunk as a skunk on Rum when I commented.  Subject still impresses the heck out of me though.  Who would have thought these things possible in TI Basic.  I certainly don't think anything like this was attempted back in the day at least not with the UK Software scene.  

#109 OLD CS1 OFFLINE  

OLD CS1

Technomancer

• 5,696 posts
  • Technology Samurai

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:21 PM

I could have made use of this back when I was programming all my games in TI BASIC.  Really, just a single sprite with no motion would have made me quite happy, and having a few available would have been bonkers.  When did Morphy come out?  Was it long enough ago that someone could have done an analysis of it, or was any of that information floating around?  Boggles...

#110 digdugnate OFFLINE  

digdugnate

Stargunner

• 1,911 posts

Posted Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:49 PM

I could have made use of this back when I was programming all my games in TI BASIC.  Really, just a single sprite with no motion would have made me quite happy, and having a few available would have been bonkers.  When did Morphy come out?  Was it long enough ago that someone could have done an analysis of it, or was any of that information floating around?  Boggles...

1984 i think?

#111 OX. OFFLINE  

OX.

Dragonstomper

• 505 posts

Posted Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:32 PM

The method for generate Sprites in TI BASIC was discovered in late 1984 from Tesioware (Riccardo Tesio and Corrado Tesio two italian brothers). Something like modify the VDP registers in TI-BASIC.

all was published and explained on the italian magazine: MC Microcomputer n34

pages 152 and 152

attachicon.gif1sprite.JPG   attachicon.gif2sprite.JPG

trying to translate from italian some parts of the published text, it says:

"...As you can see, the TI BASIC interpreter can be enchanted and sprites can also be obtained on the unexpanded TI-99/4A. For the avoidance of misunderstandings, we inform you that the sprites thus obtained will not have the same versatility as those supplied using the extended basic which provides a very complete set of instructions for sprites management like movement, magnification, overlap, etc.

However, these sprites obtained with the TI-BASIC only and a cassette recorder have some remarkable properties: 
- they are not affected by other characters that scroll underneath without deleting them;
- can be placed anywhere on the screen within a coordinate system with 192x256 positions;
- They allow to realize a "pixel to pixel" movement (using the special program) avoiding the annoying effect of flicker that is instead obtained by moving a figure inside the 24x32 grid of print positions.

It is possible for example (just taking advantage of the fact that sprites and normal characters overlap without erasing each other) to be able to draw scenarios and backgrounds for your games without these being erased during the action.

[....]

as you can see the speed is not excessive, but the merits of these sprites such as transparency, absence of flicker, independent colors, possibility of speed adjustment, opens new horizons to improve the programs in TI BASIC. [...]

"

in the issues n35 of the MC Microcomputer, there was the listing of Morphy:

which used precisely this explained technique:

Hope that this help to understand better icon_smile.gif

Iv'e been wondering recently if someone would be so kind as to do a compiled version of Morphy, it's just too slow as a TI Basic program and I think a compiled version would actually be playable.

#112 ti99iuc ONLINE  

ti99iuc

Stargunner

• 1,538 posts

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2018 3:43 AM

Yes it could be nice, i just tried to play with classic99 and maxCPU, it was funny but maybe too much fast... :P

#113 Vorticon OFFLINE  

Vorticon

River Patroller

• 3,389 posts

Posted Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:20 AM

You can find Morphy on the tigameshelf.net site under the TI Basic section along with detailed loading instructions.

#114 OX. OFFLINE  

OX.

Dragonstomper

• 505 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:11 PM

Iv'e been wondering recently if someone would be so kind as to do a compiled version of Morphy, it's just too slow as a TI Basic program and I think a compiled version would actually be playable.

Anyone?

#115 Retrospect OFFLINE  

Retrospect

Stargunner

• 1,102 posts

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:40 PM

Anyone?

Hi Ox.  I can't promise I'll do the compiling , as other projects are taking up all my spare time, but I am curious, is Morphy a MiniMemory game, and if so, does it have any commands specific to that module that we would have to work around with the compiler?

#116 jrhodes OFFLINE  

jrhodes

Chopper Commander

• 162 posts
  • RUN "CS1"

Posted Wed Oct 24, 2018 9:24 PM

... is Morphy a MiniMemory game, and if so, does it have any commands specific to that module that we would have to work around with the compiler?

Morphy has a version loadable from TI Basic, and there is also a mini-mem version that i have never tried.

#117 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• 9,968 posts

Posted Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:10 PM

By the way, the program which was referenced earlier was a combination of sometimes99er's brick scrolling program and my own SPRITE animation of a warrior character from my Beryl Reichardt universe. Cool that he has been given new life! :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users