IGNORED

Tips for the Jaguar

matthew954

So this year, I started using eBay. I've been eyeing up various Jaguar auctions including one going for $51 plus tax. (admittedly there is still 4 days left for the auction). But it includes everything except a game. But my question is, are there any issues I should look for in a Jag? I haven't really found any threads here with any tips and tricks for new or prospective Jag owners. Though I may have missed one.

Over the last two years I've jumped headlong into Atari collecting starting with the 2600Jr, then a 7800Pro, and now a 5200Super. I'm looking to complete my Atari home console collection with a Jag. I wanted one as a kid, and was never able to have one.

- It will likely come with a RF adapter so definitely try to upgrade to a composite connection.

- Don't be surprised if you get red screens when firing up some carts. The system can be finicky in that way. Just pull the cart out, try it again until it works.

- Three-button controllers come in black and grey keypad button models. The one with black keys tends to have a stiffer d-pad. Try both to see which one you like more (I generally prefer the one with grey keys).

- Carts save audio settings. If you get a cart that's not playing music, sounds, or both, then start a game, hit the pause button, then fiddle with the A, B or C buttons to bring up the Music and Sound Effects volume controls.

- If your carts are not saving progress (say, Tempest 2000 or DOOM), you will need to perform a save wipe on them. Various games have the shortcut command to do this listed in the game manual (just about all manuals are on the main AtariAge site in case you ever need to refer to them).

I'm trying to think of other "tips" but I am drawing a blank right now.

Not a tip, but that $51 auction will likely end much higher. So be prepared to pay up, they don't usually sell cheap.

• Like 2

Yeah that $51 auction will go much higher, I would say check EBay religiously (if your job allows) and wait for a good BIN. Better deals can be had with lots, but that's not really specific to the Jaguar. Jag prices have really skyrocketed in the last few years so it's hard to get a great deal, but with patience you can find a reasonable deal. Also keep an eye on the market here. I'd also get while the getting is still relatively good on NOS controllers. I think the supply is still plentiful but who knows.

... but above all do not inhale too close to it .... you'll be literally running on fumes and those have been known to cause all sorts of behavioral aberrations including hallucinations, ESP (extra sensory perceptions), megalomaniac attacks, frame-counting estimation syndrome, time-travel back-in-the-days programmers mind-reading syndrome ... there's more but you get the gist.

Enjoy it for what it is and don't look for untapped power, it'd be like looking for one's long lost virginity .... it's just not there.

• Like 9

IMHO the JagCD is not all that and a bag of chips....

I used to own one, and sold it to pay for a Skunkboard. There is a project on the horizon for a board that will serve for both of these functions - go take a look at the SainT board thread.

IMHO if you are new to Jaguar, I'd recommend that you get the base console with a couple of controllers, cables, and then just worry about picking up a handful of the more common carts that are unique games for the Jag: Iron Soldier, Super Burnout, Val d'Isere Skiing, CyberMorph, maybe Tempest 2000 if you can find it cheap, etc. If you're looking for good prices, I would recommend the GoatStore. I have bought from them in the past successfully, and I noticed just a couple of days that they have decent prices on some of the common carts. https://www.goatstore.com/Products/Atari/Jaguar/Atari_Jaguar_Region_Free_Games/

• Like 3

I actually thought of that today. How hard are they to repair, if needed? I try not to use the AVGN review for more than entertainment purposes rather than a legit review.

It really does depend on the fault. I have fixed a few and have a few in triage at the moment I will hopefully fix in the future. Some of them are as trivial as a snapped wire to the motor(s) or the disc carrier being pushed too far down the motor spindle, others require replacement laser pickups, and I have 2 that have had me doing voltage checks on test points and still not 100% sure of the issue.

Laser pickups and snapped wires are pretty simple fixes. Really does depend on the fault.

• Like 1

Pro Tip:Wait until a time machine is invented, then go back and buy as many as you can from Tigerdirect for $60 along with the CD unit for $90. http://www.vintagecomputing.com/index.php/archives/1012/retro-scan-of-the-week-atari-jaguar-in-tigerdirect

On a more serious note, all I can say is watch eBay, Amazon, and the Atariage Marketplace (and any other obscure websites you know of that sell retro games) and be prepared to pay. I'm in Minnesota and out of all the thrift stores, used retro game shops and pawn shops i've ever visited in Minnesota or Wisconsin over the past 10+ years, I can only recall seeing Jaguar stuff one time at a pawn shop in St Cloud, MN several years ago, and all I saw was 2 Jaguar carts, one was Cybermorph and I can't remember what the other was.

Best Electronics still has new ones for $499 currently, and i'm sure the price will continue to go up. Few years back they were only $250 and before that they were even cheaper and before that, even cheaper, and so on. http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/jaguar.htm

atari_jaguar_tigerdirect_large.jpg

Edited by Pink
  • Like 1

... but above all do not inhale too close to it .... you'll be literally running on fumes and those have been known to cause all sorts of behavioral aberrations including hallucinations, ESP (extra sensory perceptions), megalomaniac attacks, frame-counting estimation syndrome, time-travel back-in-the-days programmers mind-reading syndrome ... there's more but you get the gist.

Too true. I think we've all had jag fume poisoning at least once or twice in the past before we learned...