IGNORED

new 1541 problem.

bradhig1

• 2 weeks later...

I put tape over the pad several times and it still won't read disks without me holding the metal frame down. The tabs holding the pad broke off when I removed some tape and now I have no choice but to tape it in place.

Dude, if you have tape making contact with the disk surface all you are going to achieve is phuqd up disks. (I am hoping that is not the case, but in case it is.) Run up to the craft store and get some tacky glue and glue that thing back into place. The tacky glue does not absorb into the felt pad the way something like super glue does.

i just got done messing with a drive that would not read

first i put a small amount of lithium grease on the track that the head rides on

then i noticed that if i put downward pressure on the assembly the drive would read

after more inspecting

i noticed that the part circled had several shims(installed from the factory)

and said what the hell ill bend it down a bit

bam drive works

so you might try pushing down on the part in th epic if that fixes your problem then just carefully bend it a smidge so the proper downward pressure is back (years of opening and closing the drive has to cause it to bend out a bit )

post-63035-0-85755300-1515031961.jpg

I tried the board from the current 1541 in my other 1541s and they both reported file not found. Board on other 1541 with swing mechanism is fine. Board on drive with pull down latch is bad and it too said file not found. So they both have mechanical problems. Done for tonight.

pressure pad is broken off and even taping it in place won't make it read. Anyone have a spare pressure pad? Why can't I have a working disk drive like everyone else. Why do I keep ending up with one pile of junk after other.

if your in olathe I should have a few tested working drives at my store in a few days (probably Tuesday ) I just serviced them but want to let them burn in over the weekend

www.daydreamskc.com

I just fed 100 disk into each one and only 3 did not read (and they are probably bad disk's)

Edited by discgolfer72

if your in olathe I should have a few tested working drives at my store in a few days (probably Tuesday ) I just serviced them but want to let them burn in over the weekend

www.daydreamskc.com

I just fed 100 disk into each one and only 3 did not read (and they are probably bad disk's)

I will think about it. I have another drive with pressure pad but I am afraid if I try to remove it the tabs will break.

I will think about it. I have another drive with pressure pad but I am afraid if I try to remove it the tabs will break.

cool we are retail so will be priced according. but also will work and be clean (unlike an ebay hope it works deal )

i do have a lot of 7 drives on the way all broken so if you just need a parts drive i will probably have a few to scavenge from after i repair what i can