IGNORED

Ben Heck’s Todd Roger’s Dragster 5.51 record Part2

CapitanClassic

For shits and grins, tell me what the process would be if a person wants to a new world record attempt on Lock N Chase for the Intellivision.

If it's going to be called an Officially Recognized World Record it needs to be held to the same standards of accountability as anything else called an Officially Recognized World Record. I'd question whether there even needs to be an Officially Recognized World Record for the Intellivision port of Lock n Chase. Maybe that's something the video game community needs to figure out.

I don't really care. I'm not that serious about score records. But if you're going to call something a World Record, it needs to be done for a judge like any other world record or at an official event like any sporting record.

Edited by KaeruYojimbo

For shits and grins, tell me what the process would be if a person wants to a new world record attempt on Lock N Chase for the Intellivision.

Gamer: "Hi - I'd like to attempt a new world record for Lock N Chase for Intellivision."

TG: "Great. Let me look up the nearest certified record authenticator for that. There's someone who does Intellivision world records the third Saturday of every other month. He lives in Bayonne, New Jersey. You should make an appointment ahead of time."

Gamer: "I'm in Southern California. I'd have to fly there, and stay overnight in a hotel. I can't do that."

TG: "We'll have an event at PRGE in Portland this October, too."

Gamer: "Can't I just send in a video?"

TG: "Sorry - for official world record attempts, they must be performed on TG-certified systems, in person, with a certified authenticator. Otherwise, you can always participate in non-sanctioned leaderboards on other websites."

Gamer: "I really want to set an official world record though. Isn't there an alternative?"

TG: "Yes - I can put you in contact with our authentication department, and you can arrange to fly someone out there with a system at your expense, so you can set the record in the comfort of your own home. You'll have to work with them to set up a time, flight schedules, and lodging for one night if the trip can't be done in a day."

Gamer: "Nevermind. I don't really want it that badly."

• Like 6

^^^ seriously. Part of why this "controversy" is so meh to me is that I never really cared about record-breaking scores anyway.

Yes, of course I'm terrible at games, but what difference does it make?

I have never even looked at Twin Galaxies at all.

• Like 4

I have never even looked at Twin Galaxies at all.

Me neither. and yet, life goes on. The only things I hear about it are

- this tale of fraud

- the crazy dude with the goodbye rant (which was promptly locked here, thanks for that)

- the bit in King of Kong "excuse me, there's a kill screen coming up..."

If it dried up and blew away, the world would keep on turning.

I don't believe Todd is honest with his Dragster records but I want to believe that messing around with Atari hardware can subtlety effect a game - giving a slight edge to speedrunners. The idea of "cheating" without software hacks, hardware mods or raw video editing is an interesting subject for me. For instance, let's say that unplugging a controller and quickly plugging it back in helped someone get a world record in Dragster. Would that be cheating? I'm more interested in the concept than whether it is actually possible.

That's the whole part of this story that's really interesting. I've taken an interest in NES speedruns lately. I don't do them, but they are fascinating to watch. On one YouTube video, a guy commented on how using glitches was frowned upon by TG, then one guy who was going for an SMB record said screw it and went with the glitches. Soon finding new glitches to exploit became a trend, and it got really technical.

A friend of mine has the Classic NES mini or whatever it's called, and we were playing Castlevania. The damage boosts where you let an enemy collide with you to get bumped up to a higher platform had been removed. :(

Anyhow, here's a vid (not mine) on some technical aspects of glitches in SMB as it pertains to speedruns:

https://youtu.be/i1AHCaokqhg

CastleVania had 2 revisions for the NES. The second one corrected a game killing freeze glitch that could happen while fighting the grim reaper. (I used to throw my controller across the room when that happened to me)

It's not unusual for Nintendo to make modifications to game programs.

I did the record thing for Splatterhouse a couple years ago, so I can field that one:

Generally speaking you want to record yourself with a camera (cell phone is what I used) with your name, the date, online handle if applicable, and the game. Show the console and the cart, load up the game, play it on through, make sure the score is visible, and upload it. I think aurcade handles adjudication internally, TG has a public vote on record submissions where the forum members are supposed to watch the video for any issues and approve it. I think you can also do a streaming setup (which arcade folks do) generally getting simultaneous video from a camera on the player and then another either on the game or direct feed from the system.

As a "character" I've also gotten a good LOL out of Billy Mitchell, and most of those doc/mock-umentaries on arcade scores are very entertaining. Steve Wiebe is a nice guy, and I've also met a few others. Chasing Ghosts is my favorite, again, for the characters. Yeah some of them cheated or whatever, who cares? Competitive gaming is not fun, never was to me. Often it's flat insanity. At the end of the day, I really could care less. Record-setters are not the heroes of gaming history, those are the ones who invented, developed, and dreamed games into existence.

They think they are

Which is usually what makes them easy to LOL at! Again, this was 35 years ago. Todd and other teens at the time submitted bogus records. They were great players, for sure, but they embellished. Whatever. David Crane had the best take. They paid for Todd to play for their vendors and whatnot because he was really good.

Record-setters are not the heroes of gaming history, those are the ones who invented, developed, and dreamed games into existence.

My biggest gripe with Man vs. Snake was that they got the creators of Nibbler to talk on camera and didn't actually ask them about making the game (or didn't use that footage if they had it). Making the game is the interesting part people, not some dude sitting there for 3 days straight wiggling a joystick.