IGNORED

Arcade Book

DaddaRuleKonge

Hello. After a long siesta I started on a new PDF/book (other PDFs: https://daddarulekonge.itch.io/)on Arcade machines. I normally use a standard template on my PDFs, but wanted to make something more eye pleasing. But I have a hard time deciding how to set it up. I have a hard time making space on the pages, but it would make it more pleasing on the eyes. If anyone would give some pointers on what they find most pleasing I would really appreciate it :) The two first pictures are on my first design, the next two are on a more space friendly design. Also, does the background colors make any sense?

post-46184-0-55169600-1514036545_thumb.png

post-46184-0-90698100-1514036584_thumb.png

post-46184-0-15879700-1514036589_thumb.png

post-46184-0-79629700-1514036594_thumb.png

• Like 2

Very nice! However, the link does not work.

The blue background is great, a subtle color so the arcade cabinets stand out. I like the white box text as a header followed by yellow box text for description. The second design better for not being as cramped. Suggest expanding each cabinet description to at least a full paragraph or two. Maybe one cabinet per page to allow the additional text as well as in game screenshot and marque of each game?

• Like 1

Very nice! However, the link does not work. The blue background is great, a subtle color so the arcade cabinets stand out. I like the white box text as a header followed by yellow box text for description. The second design better for not being as cramped. Suggest expanding each cabinet description to at least a full paragraph or two. Maybe one cabinet per page to allow the additional text as well as in game screenshot and marque of each game?

Thank you for the suggestions. I will take it into consideration, though I have a hard time finding information and screenshots/video's on these early arcade games.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will take it into consideration, though I have a hard time finding information and screenshots/video's on these early arcade games.

Mame screen captures? There are also existing Marque and Screenshot sets for Mame online.

You can edit your OP with the new link if its not expired yet. Ask the OP for help if the OP is expired already.

Edited by CRTGAMER

Mame screen captures? There are also existing Marque and Screenshot sets for Mame online.

You can edit your OP with the new link if its not expired yet. Ask the OP for help if the OP is expired already.

Unfortunately Discrete logic can not be emulated (as far as I know). It can only be remade to look like the original arcade version. The first five years of arcade machines does mostly include discrete logic boards. I will include Marque if the arcade feature it :)

Bill Kurtz did a similar book called the Encyclopedia Of Arcade Video Games. But what you have so far seems to go more in-depth and I would be interested in buying the finished product if you release a hard copy. Do you plan on doing any interviews with any of the programmers from BITD?

I do plan to release it in print through lulu. The book will not be as in-dept or as professionally as the "Encyclopedia Of Arcade Video Games" book (though, I have not seen the BIll Kurtz book. This is just a guess). I will not do any interview myself. Everything in this PDF/book; pictures, text, will be taken from other places on the internet. So I am sorry to say, it's just a collection of copy/paste from the net... Just like every other PDFs I made.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The second design is better (looks less cramped -- as mentioned).

Note: If you use MAME screen captures for vector games, be sure to crank the resolution really high (otherwise you'll end up with weird jaggies like in the book Supercade).

Tip: The higher the resolution, the more you need to increase the vector beam width and the gamma level.

• 2 weeks later...

Great job! I just bought 3 of your books. you've got so much info in the first one that I haven't even had a chance to look at the others :)

I own an Asteroids (vector board), Marble Madness (System 1 board), A Vectrex (Vectrex Encyclopedia Book), and a bunch of Nintendo Game & Watches (Collecting Game&Watch Systems). Cool to find your books covering all of these.

-Tavis

• 2 months later...