IGNORED

Best Atari 2600 guide for experienced 6502 programmer?

GradualGames

Hi all,

I've been coding for the NES since about 2008, so I've got quite a bit of 6502 under my belt. As such I do not need a very detailed tutorial. But I would be curious to find a very basic guide to the 2600 hardware and maybe a template program. Does anyone use ca65?

I FINALLY acquired my mother in law's 2600 (she tends to like to hold on to things), I'm in the process of fixing it up and I have a harmony cart in the mail.

Edited by GradualGames
  • Like 2

Hi all,

I've been coding for the NES since about 2008, so I've got quite a bit of 6502 under my belt. As such I do not need a very detailed tutorial. But I would be curious to find a very basic guide to the 2600 hardware and maybe a template program. Does anyone use ca65?

I FINALLY acquired my mother in law's 2600 (she tends to like to hold on to things), I'm in the process of fixing it up and I have a harmony cart in the mail.

I think you might like the ASDK (Abstract Assembly Development Kit) included with Flashback BASIC, it lets you program in Assembly using a Nintendo PPU style soft blitter chip.

Examples are on the Flashback BASIC site linked in my signature.

I'm finding the Atari 2600 101 tutorial: http://atariage.com/2600/programming/2600_101/to be a good enough starting point, thanks folks!

Looks as though dasm is pretty much the standard assembler. I actually don't think the fancy bells and whistles of ca65 would even benefit me much with the Atari 2600. This system makes me feel downright spoiled as an NES developer. Like, I look at the Atari 2600 then I move to NES and I'm like:

giphy.gif

• 2 weeks later...