IGNORED

Is anything like the attached image possible as a playfield?

GradualGames

I have a game concept in mind (which I will NOT attempt as my first game, don't worry. Experienced coder here. Gonna do lots of small things first so I know my way around this system I UNDERSTAND THAT IT IS HARD.) which involves this image:

post-37010-0-44778000-1514432772.png

Obviously, this 320x200 resolution mode (it's from an old DOS program) is dramatically higher than what the 2600 can output. What I want to know is, is it at all possible to create anything remotely like this shape, in the playfield?

I understand from the SPG that the playfield basically only occupies half of the screen, and you can either duplicate or reflect it. So I'm guessing if this is at all possible, it may have to become perfectly symmetrical, or employ some trickery which I probably won't have any idea how to do til I've been working with the system for quite a while.

I'd just be interested in hearing experienced 2600 homebrewers' thoughts on whether creating a lower-res version of the above image in a 2600 game is feasible.

Edited by GradualGames

At one time I wanted to make BesselBlazer, basically BallBlazer on a variety of contoured play fields like such. Not the flat and boring checkerboard. I got as far as the concept art but never pursued anything further. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it brings back the memories for sure!

Edited by Keatah

At one time I wanted to make BesselBlazer, basically BallBlazer on a variety of contoured play fields like such. Not the flat and boring checkerboard. I got as far as the concept art but never pursued anything further. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it brings back the memories for sure!

You are describing fairly precisely BallBlazer Champions. It is not the improvement you imagine.

• Like 1

Some options include assymetric playfield, 48pixel, 96pixel and 128 pixel kernels.

You can do just about anything on the 2600, but it almost always comes at the cost of something else. If you provide more details about what you want to accomplish, we can probably recommend a group of techniques and/or display kernels which would give the best results.