IGNORED

Nice case for sio2sd

manterola

I just want to comment on this very nice xl and xe matching cases for Sio2SD

I guess they are super cool.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173046805306

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F173055270522

I am not affiliated to the seller, BTW. It is just that I feel a little bad of not having a matching Sio2SD for my machines ;-)

• Like 4

I just want to comment on this very nice xl and xe matching cases for Sio2SD

I guess they are super cool.

I am not affiliated to the seller, BTW. It is just that I feel a little bad of not having a matching Sio2SD for my machines icon_winking.gif

They're excellent! I was going to buy one here and now, but I decided to take one last look at my SIO2SD board to see if it matched. Sadly, I have a different arrangement, including a 3x2 button arrangement in the lower-left. <sigh>

They're excellent! I was going to buy one here and now, but I decided to take one last look at my SIO2SD board to see if it matched. Sadly, I have a different arrangement, including a 3x2 button arrangement in the lower-left. <sigh>

Message the seller. I know for a fact he has an XE style that fits the 2+3 button board (I sent him mine and he created a one off for me to buy)

Excellent quality and cost

Edited by orpheuswaking
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I like those!

I went with a more reuse recycle route.

The modem board has 2 or 3 transistors used for those simple 1 or 2 transistor plus a few resistors Composite mods.

Gosh I hope I don't need an Atari dial-up modem.

That is an excellent use for an XM301. :) Eve if you need a dial-up modem, I'm certain you're going to want something that can transfer data faster than most people can type! :) I'd seen this before, and it looks really cool. I like both solutions though. I do have two XM301s sitting in my office though that will otherwise be nothing but decorations, so this is a tempting option when I finally decide to go get an SIO2SD.

Did you buy one? I'd be interested in seeing if he's made any changes to the design

Their response was that they weren't happy with the case for my model, and they were going to move them to their new configuration, and they'll likely have it done "next week". I haven't checked back, so thanks for the reminder. I replied and asked for an update.

UPDATE: Reply received. He's printing one off tonight for my 2+3 button configuration, will be ready in 3-4 hours.

Edited by jmccorm

2+3 button layout finished, and purchased. I'll update when received/installed.

Per the seller..

> If, when you get it, you find the buttons don't feel perfect, let me know.

> I may have to adjust them up or down by a few fractions of a mm.

> I'll pay for that, should it happen.

What a nice guy!

• Like 2

Per the seller..

What a nice guy!

Ha - I guess I'll have to ask him about the new configuration

> Ha - I guess I'll have to ask him about the new configuration

Hey! I know I called him a nice guy, but I didn't commit him to retroactive product enhancements!

Seriously, though, I designed and printed my own 3D case. It is too easy to get the buttons wrong. I'm more than happy to NOT do DIY on my own printer and to pay someone else for their expertise.

• Like 1

SIO2SD for a 2+3 button configuration has been received.

General Observations: The SIO2SD case is composed of two major pieces. The first piece is a flat piece of plastic which the SIO2SD PCB is placed upon. The second piece of plastic forms the rest of the case. The top piece mounts on top of the flat base and is held together with 4 screws from below. The control panel has five buttons. The lower three buttons are integrated into the case in a fairly clever way. The top two buttons are wider at the bottom than the top (to prevent them from sliding out of the case). Just before you assemble it, you have to push the buttons into the case from the inside. The tolerance between the case and the buttons is just right, and so there is little worry about those two buttons falling out when you're putting everything together.

This variant of the SIO2SD PCB has the SIO cable connector located in the front, but the case has the SIO cable hole in the rear. When routing the SIO cable inside of the case, it manages to fit just below the LCD, so this turned out not to be a problem, but you have to use a tiny bit of case when you close the case and put it together. The window for the LCD looks good, but he may want to consider extending it further down so that it is easier to see the full display when you're not viewing it head-on. Once it was all together, there red I/O light was not visible. Not a major loss, but worth noting. Unfortunately, there was a far more significant problem.

The Problem: The SIO2SD started acting funny. It would constantly scroll through the list of available disks or the available drives. And it D1 would spontaneously be set as offline. It looks like the bottom three buttons may be held down because the buttons are too long. I'll be taking the seller up on their offer for some free revisions to fine-tune things. The top two buttons would click act the activated and worked great.

So this should be easily fixed. I'll be sending an even more detailed report than this to the seller. I've got a tiny inspection camera that I'll be able to route inside the case and take good pictures of the button alignment and tolerance [EDIT: adding some random pictures for you to see]. With his permission, I'd like to try shaving down the bottom three buttons to confirm the fix before he puts the effort into printing an shipping a replacement.

IMAGES OF AREAS OF INTEREST:

post-18231-0-70830500-1516161419.jpgpost-18231-0-25516500-1516161420.jpgpost-18231-0-76579600-1516161420.jpgpost-18231-0-28451100-1516161421.jpgpost-18231-0-84698300-1516161421.jpgpost-18231-0-83957100-1516161422.jpgpost-18231-0-31829200-1516161423.jpgpost-18231-0-77447300-1516161423.jpgpost-18231-0-35687000-1516161422.jpg

Thanks,

jmccorm

Edited by jmccorm

The original unit he made for me had the buttons free floating so I didn't have those issues. The only drawback to this is if you open the case they fall out. but how often would you do that?

That said I am happy I have a source to go for if I ever need a case made, he's good to work with and very reasonable price wise

• Like 1

UPDATE for the special 2+3 button configuration: After I broke the buttons loose from its connection to the case (making them free-floating but also sliding horizontally), we used a different method and I measured from the top of the case to the top of the buttons using digital calipers. With this information, he'll manufacture and send me a revised case. If that doesn't do the trick, he'll pay to ship my SIO2SD card to him so that he can directly measure and test it. All good with me, as I had the expectation going into it this that this would be a prototype. I'll update again with how the next print turns out.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Who is currently selling the nicest XL-style SIO2SD case?

Well, I am not selling - but I am recycling defective 1010 and use their cases, two of them were used for SIO2SD, two others for IDE+/IDE-2 and I think I still have 2-3 cases left...

post-3782-0-54864400-1529189480.jpg

post-3782-0-64868800-1529189493.jpg

And yes, I used half of the 1010 pcb, so the two SIO ports on the back are fully usable for SIO2SD... but the 1010 keys have no longer a function and are glued together and the tape counter has been left there to fill the otherwise empty hole...

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Well, I am not selling - but I am recycling defective 1010 and use their cases, two of them were used for SIO2SD, two others for IDE+/IDE-2 and I think I still have 2-3 cases left...

attachicon.gif1010front.jpg

attachicon.gif1010back.jpg

And yes, I used half of the 1010 pcb, so the two SIO ports on the back are fully usable for SIO2SD... but the 1010 keys have no longer a function and are glued together and the tape counter has been left there to fill the otherwise empty hole...

Both of those look really sharp! Nice work.