Moonsweeper

• 334 posts

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:45 PM

I got these today, they are very special Intellivision cartridges

Atari 2600 Intellivision Enduro 2.JPG

Atari 2600 Intellivision Keystone Kapers 2.JPG

Atari 2600 Intellivision Tennis 2.JPG

Atari 2600 Intellivision Zaxxon 2.JPG

I know, I know, before you call and yell at me, yes they are Atari 2600 cartridges but I got them because of the Intellivision Presents.

#2 m-crew ONLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 3,880 posts

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:05 PM

Why the intellivision labels?

#3 Humblejack OFFLINE  

Humblejack

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 334 posts

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:09 PM

Why the intellivision labels?

I really don't know.  My guess is back in the 80's Brazil was the pirate capital of the world and Intellivision sold better than Atari.  Just a guess mind you. I am sure one of the really smart AA members will chime in and explain all.

#4 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 11,552 posts
  • But Atari Rules!

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:10 PM

Sweet pirate carts! 😎

#5 m-crew ONLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 3,880 posts

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:21 PM

I really don't know.  My guess is back in the 80's Brazil was the pirate capital of the world and Intellivision sold better than Atari.  Just a guess mind you. I am sure one of the really smart AA members will chime in and explain all.

curious as well, I was thinking something like that or a Misprint at printing labels..

#6 m-crew ONLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 3,880 posts

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:22 PM

They couldn't see the difference between them and intellivision... lol maybe they needed the intellivoice to now hear the difference.. lol

#7 1980gamer OFFLINE  

1980gamer

Dragonstomper

• 781 posts

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:44 PM

I think I have activision Boxing with the Intellivision label.

Never saw Non activision carts.   Zaxxon is a good find!

#8 GenetixJ OFFLINE  

GenetixJ

Moonsweeper

• 387 posts
  • 8-bit pharmacy

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:49 PM

That's pretty cool HJ

#9 intvsteve ONLINE  

intvsteve

River Patroller

• 2,814 posts

Posted Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:05 PM

Always wanted to get a couple of these for the novelty. It seems every single one of them has traveled the seas in the bilge water of a container ship, though. :P

Except for that Zaxxon. That looks darn nice.

#10 Intellivision Brasil OFFLINE  

Intellivision Brasil

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 6:03 PM

In 1983, a former jeweler and businessman named Joseph Maghrabi registered the names "Intellivision" and "Atari Eletrônica" on INPI (acronym for National Institute of Industrial Property in Brazil).

His company (Canal 3) manufactured and sold a lot of cartridges for Atari 2600 under the name "Intelliivsiion".

At that time, the Brazilian laws allowed (and protected) that kind of "thing"...

#11 Humblejack OFFLINE  

Humblejack

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 334 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 6:11 PM

In 1983, a former jeweler and businessman named Joseph Maghrabi registered the names "Intellivision" and "Atari Eletrônica" on INPI (acronym for National Institute of Industrial Property in Brazil).

His company (Canal 3) manufactured and sold a lot of cartridges for Atari 2600 under the name "Intelliivsiion".

At that time, the Brazilian laws allowed (and protected) that kind of "thing"...

Most enlightening and thank you. I know Brazil has a long history of Intellivision, and still does.  I have a few "friends" there and it is always interesting the views and insights they have about Intellivision. Thanks again for sharing.

#12 cmart604 OFFLINE  

cmart604

Intellivision Hoarder

• 11,552 posts
  • But Atari Rules!

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 6:34 PM

Excellent information, thanks!

#13 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 2,286 posts

Posted Sat Jan 6, 2018 6:38 AM

And those cartridges were made without the permission of Activision or Sega/Coleco?

Since he had trademarks for both Intellivision and Atari, he used Intellivision because it helped sell cartridges better than the Atari name?

#14 m-crew ONLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 3,880 posts

Posted Sat Jan 6, 2018 7:28 AM

And those cartridges were made without the permission of Activision or Sega/Coleco?

Since he had trademarks for both Intellivision and Atari, he used Intellivision because it helped sell cartridges better than the Atari name?

I was wondering the same thing ?

#15 mr_me OFFLINE  

mr_me

River Patroller

• 2,286 posts

Posted Sat Jan 6, 2018 7:59 AM

And I thought I saw screenshots somewhere with the Activision logo hacked out and replaced with Intellivision or Canal 3.

#16 Intellivision Brasil OFFLINE  

Intellivision Brasil

Combat Commando

• 7 posts

Posted Sat Jan 6, 2018 1:44 PM

Yes, without permission of Activision, Atari, Sega, Imagic and all the games companies.
There's no special reason for using "Intellivision" logo (I think he just liked the name...).
At that time, brazilian law said that brazilian companies had to had a greater percentual of national components in the final product.
There was no option, it was the rule.
So, the companies simply imported a 2600, for example, and "re-manufactured" it changing some components, selling it like a "national" console.
No copyrights, no guilt, just profits.
Atari thought about suing some companies (including Maghrabi's Canal 3), but the pirate cartridges helped to pushed up the sales of original cartridges (according to Polyvox marketing director, the brazilian partner of Atari).
The story is tooooo long, and it's told in the documentary "1983: the year of the video games in Brazil" (only in portuguese, but there's a planning to add english subtitles in the future).
Nolan Bushnell is also in the documentary.
You can see it in:

And, BTW... sorry for my poor english! lol

Edited by Intellivision Brasil, Sat Jan 6, 2018 1:44 PM.

#17 m-crew ONLINE  

m-crew

River Patroller

• 3,880 posts

Posted Sat Jan 6, 2018 2:03 PM

Thanks for sharing that with us, BTW you English is just fine....

Cheers

#18 First Spear OFFLINE  

First Spear

Stargunner

• 1,140 posts

Posted Mon Jan 8, 2018 6:58 AM

That sounds like something bing excellent for an Intellivisionaries interview.

Most enlightening and thank you. I know Brazil has a long history of Intellivision, and still does.  I have a few "friends" there and it is always interesting the views and insights they have about Intellivision. Thanks again for sharing.

#19 Descolado OFFLINE  

Descolado

Space Invader

• 26 posts

Posted Mon Jan 8, 2018 10:16 AM

I remember that time. Hard time to Brazil, a real miracle Intellivision appears in my country.

Edited by Descolado, Mon Jan 8, 2018 10:17 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users