Altirra 3.00 released

altirra emulation

484 replies to this topic

#476 Wilheim OFFLINE  

Wilheim

Chopper Commander

• 162 posts

Posted Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:29 AM

Hi! I was testing Altirra with an Eidolon cartridge image, and it crashes when I load a save state of it. Attached is the save state as well as the cartridge image I use. Is it possible to take a look? Thanks!

Regards!

Attached Files

#477 JAC! OFFLINE  

JAC!

Stargunner

• 1,672 posts
  • Always looking for GFX and MSX for my demos

Posted Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:25 PM

http://www.virtualdu...3.10-test30.zip

http://www.virtualdu...-test30-src.zip

• The emulator now attempts to detect if a binary program being directly loaded overlaps enabled internal BASIC, and if so will prompt to disable it. This is detected if internal BASIC is enabled and the program has a segment loading over $A000-BFFF before the first init segment.

Auto detection sound very good, but I think the logic should rather be like "if the XEX is loaded to any location in $A000-$BFFF" disable BASIC if the bit in PORTB is not yet set correctly.
Many programs use direct loading to $d301 (01 d3 01 d3 ff) instead of INI code/segments to toggle that.

#478 vitoco OFFLINE  

vitoco

Moonsweeper

• 286 posts

Posted Yesterday, 2:05 PM

• Dos 1.0: As Dos 2.x (1st char. NOT a number, "_" and "@" NOT allowed at all)

Not sure about DOS 2.0, but I've always used filenames starting with a number in DOS 2.5. For simplicity, some utilities I wrote on the Atari use one character file names using digits like "3.DAT" just for easy file selection during development. I can drag these files from Altirra's disk browser to an Explorer window, but I cannot drop them back to Altirra, having to rename them to a "valid" filename before the drag into the ATR and then rename them back using DOS's FMS or TurboBasic XL's RENAME statement.

I've just checked pages 19-22 of the Atari DOS 2.5 - 1050 Disk Drive Owner's Manual and the only restriction is that the filename may have up to 8 letters or numbers, without any mention that the first one must be a letter. That's why I never got a 165-Filename error with these single number filenames.

#479 Fox-1 / mnx OFFLINE  

Fox-1 / mnx

Stargunner

• 1,537 posts
  • What is your Alternate Reality?

Posted Yesterday, 3:25 PM

Not sure about DOS 2.0, but I've always used filenames starting with a number in DOS 2.5.

That seems to be right.  I think the issue turns up when trying to rename files when using wildcard characters in the filename.

#480 flashjazzcat ONLINE  

flashjazzcat

Quadrunner

• 13,480 posts

Posted Yesterday, 3:33 PM

Finally tried the XEL-CF3 swap button emulation: works like a charm. Thanks Avery.

#481 phaeron OFFLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,479 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:52 PM

When I drag a file into a disk image using Disk Explorer to a SpartaDOS disk, the current time stamp is applied, not the time from the file that I dragged in. And likewise if I drag a file out of a disk image, the resulting file on the windows side also receives the current time, not the original time of the file in the disk image.

it would be nice have the timestamps preserved for filesystems that support them... The only way I have been able to maintain them so far is using RespeQt/SDX PC-LINK.

Yeah, I do that, already have all the pieces for it.

Hi! I was testing Altirra with an Eidolon cartridge image, and it crashes when I load a save state of it. Attached is the save state as well as the cartridge image I use. Is it possible to take a look? Thanks!

Regards!

I can't reproduce, but it is probably related to a device. Devices don't support save states, period, so things will break when you use them with stuff in the device tree. A rewrite of the save state system is needed to implement this.

Auto detection sound very good, but I think the logic should rather be like "if the XEX is loaded to any location in $A000-$BFFF" disable BASIC if the bit in PORTB is not yet set correctly.
Many programs use direct loading to $d301 (01 d3 01 d3 ff) instead of INI code/segments to toggle that.

Ew, direct loading on top of hardware.

I can't check the actual PORTB state since this runs pre-reset and I don't want to try auto-disabling BASIC on the fly during the load, but I can also check for hardware range overlaps and stop the scan at any such segment.

Not sure about DOS 2.0, but I've always used filenames starting with a number in DOS 2.5. For simplicity, some utilities I wrote on the Atari use one character file names using digits like "3.DAT" just for easy file selection during development. I can drag these files from Altirra's disk browser to an Explorer window, but I cannot drop them back to Altirra, having to rename them to a "valid" filename before the drag into the ATR and then rename them back using DOS's FMS or TurboBasic XL's RENAME statement.

I've just checked pages 19-22 of the Atari DOS 2.5 - 1050 Disk Drive Owner's Manual and the only restriction is that the filename may have up to 8 letters or numbers, without any mention that the first one must be a letter. That's why I never got a 165-Filename error with these single number filenames.

It seems that this changed between DOS 2.0 and 2.5. 2.0 throws errors if you use a leading number, while 2.5 allows it. I'm going to adjust the validator so it defaults to relaxed rules if it sees either an ED disk or an existing non-strict file.

#482 Wilheim OFFLINE  

Wilheim

Chopper Commander

• 162 posts

Posted Today, 3:35 AM

I can't reproduce, but it is probably related to a device. Devices don't support save states, period, so things will break when you use them with stuff in the device tree. A rewrite of the save state system is needed to implement this.

I took a look to the device, and nothing is attached. What I did is attach the cartridge image and, after playing a while with the game, create a save state. When I try to load it again with the cartridge, it crashes.

Apparently, it seems that the loading state assumes that the cartridge inserted is turned on and starting at bank 0. Maybe, I don't know for sure.

#483 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,606 posts

Posted Today, 6:12 AM

Any reason not to use the disk and not a rather odd ish cart type for a game that is primarily disk based ?

Edited by Mclaneinc, Today, 6:12 AM.

#484 Wilheim OFFLINE  

Wilheim

Chopper Commander

• 162 posts

Posted Today, 10:52 AM

I'm testing the cartridge image I made on Altirra, so I want to finish it in order to assure the image is OK.

#485 Mclaneinc OFFLINE  

Mclaneinc

Quadrunner

• 5,606 posts

Posted Today, 12:24 PM

Fair enough, that of is down to your coding skills, I can't remember if its a single load or how the saving works nor if any of this stuff conflicts so you may well have a good working conversion to cart that until Avery thinks about any possible save rewrites may never work from  a save state on Altirra.

Have fun with the project

Good luck...and hope it all goes well..

Paul..

Edited by Mclaneinc, Today, 12:25 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: altirra, emulation

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users