Altirra 3.00 released

altirra emulation

180 replies to this topic

#176 Docwiz OFFLINE  

Docwiz

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:24 PM

I love that we have access to all of this older software on our modern computers.  I love that I can still use my Atari Joystick or Paddles on games.  It brings back lots of memories.    Emulation for me is the killer app of modern systems. 

I have to admit that I still miss those days when I was the only one around my block that could actually use a computer and the hackers of today's world wasn't an issue.   It was more of an innocent time than the world that we have today. 

Then again today's Atari has built their own Cryptocurrency and I find that fascinating.  Also, today I enjoy my 200 megabit Internet connection compared to struggling at 300 baud trying to connect to a bulletin board that would send email ONLY to people on on that one bulletin board system. (Before Fidonet). :)

#177 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 19,573 posts

Posted Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:22 AM

I love that we have access to all of this older software on our modern computers.  I love that I can still use my Atari Joystick or Paddles on games.  It brings back lots of memories.    Emulation for me is the killer app of modern systems. 

Killer app indeed.. Modern-day contemporary emulation is almost like magic. And it fulfills a childhood dream of being able to play all my videogames on one system.

And it's also cool, too, that I can connect two emulators together via a simulated 300 baud serial cable. One emulator runs the terminal, the other the BBS. It's been invaluable for going through my old BBS software and user logs and stuff. For testing the software and being sure all the modules are intact. A prelude to archiving it all. That on the Apple II though.

Edited by Keatah, Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:25 AM.

#178 phaeron OFFLINE  

phaeron

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,381 posts

Posted Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:34 PM

And possibly pushing Phaeron not to use too obscure Windows/DirectX/Whatever... APIs in Altirra :)

Did someone say something about obscure APIs? :-D

http://www.virtualdu...3.10-test12.zip
http://www.virtualdu...-test12-src.zip

Adds support for using the XAudio2 and WASAPI audio APIs. These allow for reduced delay and better reliability over the previously supported WaveOut and DirectSound APIs, down in the 30ms range. There is now also an Auto option which selects WASAPI if available and otherwise falls back to WaveOut; this is now the new default. Would appreciate testing of the WASAPI option specifically on systems that have weird sound setups, particularly >48KHz, >16-bit, or 5.1+ channels. First two I can test but not the latter.

WASAPI is available on Windows Vista or later. The XAudio2 option will attempt to use XAudio 2.8 on Windows 8/10 and try to fall back to XAudio 2.7 otherwise; XP/Vista/7 require the DirectX redistributable (uncheck the Bing Bar during install!).

#179 Docwiz OFFLINE  

Docwiz

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:48 PM

Did someone say something about obscure APIs? :-D

http://www.virtualdu...3.10-test12.zip
http://www.virtualdu...-test12-src.zip

Adds support for using the XAudio2 and WASAPI audio APIs. These allow for reduced delay and better reliability over the previously supported WaveOut and DirectSound APIs, down in the 30ms range. There is now also an Auto option which selects WASAPI if available and otherwise falls back to WaveOut; this is now the new default. Would appreciate testing of the WASAPI option specifically on systems that have weird sound setups, particularly >48KHz, >16-bit, or 5.1+ channels. First two I can test but not the latter.

WASAPI is available on Windows Vista or later. The XAudio2 option will attempt to use XAudio 2.8 on Windows 8/10 and try to fall back to XAudio 2.7 otherwise; XP/Vista/7 require the DirectX redistributable (uncheck the Bing Bar during install!).

I have a feature request for sometime when you have some extra time to devote.  It's your emulator after all, but wouldn't it be awesome to not only print out ATASCII on a modern day Windows printer, but be able to print out in printer emulation as well?

For example... Printing non graphical print in Atari Printer 1027 mode, so that it looks like it's been printed by an Atari 1027 Printer.  Also what about dot matrix emulation and using "The Print Shop" again and printing in 24-pin Dot Matrix mode again, even on my 2018 Windows Laser Printer.  

There is some old Atari basic code that I would like to print in Atascii on my printer directly so I can convert that old code into modern PHP/MySQL and it would be nice if I could print it as a text file as Atascii and also print it directly as Atascii on my Windows modern printer from today.

Anyway, what do you think about Printer emulation?  You don't have to emulate them all, just the most common Atari and Dot matrix ones.   

#180 Keatah OFFLINE  

Keatah

Missile Commander

• 19,573 posts

Posted Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:48 PM

I, too, would like to see printer emulation. Either output to BMP PNG or TXT PDF. There is an Apple II emulator that does so, and then you can print it out on a modern PC.

What do you think?

#181 baktra OFFLINE  

baktra

Moonsweeper

• 429 posts

Posted Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:33 AM

A 1029 emulation with PDF output would be very, very nice.

But, I would rather like to see the 1029 emulation as a standalone project. A portable C library using for example pango and cairo for rendering that could be plugged-in to more emulators. Something like the the A8CAS project for cassette emulation.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: altirra, emulation

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users