Photo

CX80 Trakball Rust

28 replies to this topic

#26 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 3,313 posts

Posted Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:24 PM

just make sure it's pure wax and not an oil or 'polish' as the polishes are abrasive.... this is not much different than waxing billiard balls (pool).... you want just enough...

pure carnauba is just fine

we used to swap out track billiard balls with other billiard balls all the time for added flair/ you can get all kinds of patterns including Atari logo etc...

Edited by _The Doctor__, Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:34 PM.

#27 Level42 OFFLINE  

Level42

Stargunner

• 1,810 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 3:56 AM

The Wico stuff is awesome quality, in fact I think they are direct arcade versions, or at least look very close.

The biggest problem with their joysticks though was the insanely long handles and large throw angle meaning it took simply too long to move around, the Suzo Competiton Pro was much better for home use, same quality but smaller handle and much less throw.

But that's another topic.

I worked on a CX80 yesterday.....only really had one problem: some wires had come loose between the main PCB and optos boards and while working on it the entire wire of the TB/JS switch came loose too.....bad solderings all around.....The whole thing just looks like a lot less quality....and it's also clumsy to work on with the overhead PCB and short wires between everything. Also note that the opto PCBs are not the same and even don't have the same wire order....weird ! Maybe I'm too much used to arcade trackballs....

One thing: you have to fully dissassemvle it to get out the rollers and bearings. The bearings have rubber caps on them (dirt protection) so it's impossible to clean/lube them without taking them out completely.

this unit had the left-right roller running pretty well and freely.....but up-down was terrible.

To see if the bearings could be "rescued" I used WD40 spray. Any spills on the roller and outside of the bearing I removed with a bit of Dasty sprayed on a some paper towel. This decreases nicely.

It it worked pretty well. I stil think the trackball sounds a bit grindy but it definitely was possible to play Missile Command very well with it.
The rollers kept moving for quite a long time when giving them a spin.

While I had them out I measured the rollers and bearings.....but I forgot to measure the width of the bearings....but surprisingly it looks like all sizes are metric.

I'm puzzled about the size of the roller diameter....though....9.5mm ???? Would that mean an inner bearing size of 10mm. ? I guess so...

Oh and I'll redo the bearings....I will soak them in alcohol to get out all dirt and then re-grease them as they are supposed to be.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3839.JPG

Edited by Level42, Fri Jan 5, 2018 4:04 AM.

#28 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

River Patroller

• 3,313 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 6:49 AM

Remember after the wd40 to 3 in 1 / light oil the bearing.... wd40 disappears and then the bearing eat themselves. :)

#29 Level42 OFFLINE  

Level42

Stargunner

• 1,810 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 9:48 AM

Yeah exactly, as I wrote, I'll redo them....properly :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users