IGNORED

Coffee Crisis a New Beat em' Up Homebrew for Genesis

Rick Dangerous

Been hesitant to get this only because initial gameplay reviews I've watched weren't so kind to this game. I'm all for supporting the homebrew scene on any system, but if a game isn't really that interesting or doesn't play very well, then I will usually skip on them.

• Like 1

I don't know how much stock I would put in critics these days... I played it for about an hour and a half tonight and it was great fun and oozes personality. And that was just one player. Had to give it a trial run because having some buddies over for a new years game night tomorrow.

Now any beat em' up inevitably gets compared to Streets of Rage. Is it as good as Streets of Rage; arguably any three of the series is possibly the best beat em' up of all time? No. But if you want to wait for homebrews that are the absolute best of their genre, ever, you will be waiting a long time. The Pier Solars and Project Y's only come around so often, and I think this game, while it has a few flaws (and how many games don't?) is still a SOLID effort and well worth a purchase.

Again...the beat em up genre is one of my favorites, but all the you tube vids I've seen reviewing this or just talking about it have been very hit and miss and I'm just totally on the fence about it honestly. Also there are actually two revs of this game. The first releases were really panned hard by those who originally bought it as it was missing features it was supposed to have..etc. So I'm not sure if the ones you can buy now are updated or not or if the updates to correct the issues have been completed yet by the devs.

• 3 weeks later...