IGNORED

Av mod not working. Please help.

RUNNER

I've already av modded 5 2600 so far in the past 2 years or so. All of them worked perfectly and were easy to install.I'm trying to install last one I have on a 2600A -four switch- and I don't know what I'm doing wrong as I can't make it to work. I've followed the schematics step by step and solderings seem to be fine but it's nor working, neither image nor sound. Things have been made same as other times. Black wire is ground, blue is video, yellow is audio and red is voltage. Not to mention I tested the console before modding and worked fine on rf.Any ideas. I'm enclosing some pics for you to have some idea of what I've done. Thanks all.

post-20869-0-64198400-1514642209_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-25563700-1514642253_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-56304600-1514642319_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-67463900-1514642362_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-73193900-1514642407_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-71405800-1514642459_thumb.jpg

Games played perfectly yesterday before modding. Could it be audio/video shorting/interference? Problem is that I've rechecked all the solderings and none of them is touching the other so I don't know where to look.

It's possible that something got fried during the mod or a component was somehow damaged. This could be one of those cases where something unrelated decided to kick the bucket at the same time you were doing the mod. If that's the case, it could be anything. When you were modding it, there could have been a static discharge that messed up the TIA chip. Static can ruin electronics.

If you have another mod board, you could try swapping it, in case there's a problem there.

Did you mess up any of the RF components when you removed them? If not, I'd try reconnecting them and see if it works right. If it does, at least you know it's an issue with the mod and not the 2600.

• Like 1

Yes, I thought so. Something could have got fried. On the other hand I guess it could be the mod board itself so I'm letting the guy who sold me that know to see if he can send me another one. That was the only one I had left. As for the rf it's still there but pins and the small board on the left are gone so it'd need a lot of work to get it back to normal and my soldering skills are poor.

Also too one thing that helps in the winter time when working with electronics is to have a humidifier going in your work area. When the air is dry static electricity is worse and a humidifier helps prevent it some. Anti static wrist strap would work too I don't use those. I usually touch something grounded at my bench before I start to discharge myself of any static.

Edited by SignGuy81

Here is a couple things I noticed from the pictures. The 15k ohm resistor(brown, green, orange) has a cracked solder joint on the side closest to the edge of the board. EDIT: I just looked again I wasn't following that right it isn't the 15k ohm resistor it is the cap right beside it to the right if looking at the top side of board(it is a cap but looks like a resistor has a greenish tint some people will argue it is a resistor but it is a cap but anyway it has a cracked solder joint). You can see it in the pic of the back side of the board where there is a gap/crack around the lead of the cap. Also the solder joints where the mod wires are soldered to(where the RF board used to be) all appear to be cold solder joints. You need to either turn your iron up higher or leave it on longer. Also heat up the area to be soldered(pin, pad) then apply the solder to the area, not the iron(you may already be doing that right just wanted to add that just in case).

Edited by SignGuy81
  • Like 1

Here is a couple things I noticed from the pictures. The 15k ohm resistor(brown, green, orange) has a cracked solder joint on the side closest to the edge of the board. EDIT: I just looked again I wasn't following that right it isn't the 15k ohm resistor it is the cap right beside it to the right if looking at the top side of board(it is a cap but looks like a resistor has a greenish tint some people will argue it is a resistor but it is a cap but anyway it has a cracked solder joint). You can see it in the pic of the back side of the board where there is a gap/crack around the lead of the cap. Also the solder joints where the mod wires are soldered to(where the RF board used to be) all appear to be cold solder joints. You need to either turn your iron up higher or leave it on longer. Also heat up the area to be soldered(pin, pad) then apply the solder to the area, not the iron(you may already be doing that right just wanted to add that just in case).

I checked this but it's not a crack/gap, it's just a bad shade in the picture. I don't know if you can see it better in the pictures below. I also resoldered all the joints carefully previously heating them and applying solder straight on them as you said. Solderings appear to be much neater now but still same result, weird video with out of place things. Take a look at other games I tested. Sent a message to Michael -the guy who sold me this- nice guy, he's looking into it.

post-20869-0-49249500-1514799041_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-66399300-1514799057_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-49164900-1514799077_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-55201600-1514799094_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-07446200-1514799112_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-11462200-1514799128_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-98445700-1514799140_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-05672800-1514799155_thumb.jpg

post-20869-0-79937600-1514799168_thumb.jpg

The mod itself can't cause video corruption like that- it is only a passive amplifier. You may have dropped solder on some TIA pins or damaged it somehow.

Amazingly I've found a thick solder drop on a rear TIA pin which probably fell down from soldering tool while soldering from the upper rear of the board. Just removed it but problem remains. The drop wasn't shortening or bridging anything so question is could this just have damaged the TIA chip by heating it for a second??

I'm coming to the conclusion that either the TIA or the cartridge slot are fried. Why the cartridge slot? Cause I've just realised that when putting a cart in the slot and slightly moving it towards the sides to make it fit better the image changes. Also when tapping the TIA with a finger the patterns on the image -numbers, ships, etc vary. Question of course is how yo determine which of them both is wrong and most importantly why did this happen? I don't want to buy another unit -standalone console- and make the same mistake. My guess is the yellow audio wire was initially bridging the resistor next to it -bad soldering- or one of the resistors on the mod board was broken and caused the TIA to get fried. Any ideas?

I dunno I have personally taken a pair of tweezers shorting out all kinds of crap around the TIA trying to find the source of jailbars and blur that happens (more) on older 6 switcher systems, I have made it quite angry to the point of shutting off but no damage (yet)

have you cleaned the cart slot? I assume yes but checking

• Like 1

I dunno I have personally taken a pair of tweezers shorting out all kinds of crap around the TIA trying to find the source of jailbars and blur that happens (more) on older 6 switcher systems, I have made it quite angry to the point of shutting off but no damage (yet)

have you cleaned the cart slot? I assume yes but checking

I've cleaned the slot pins with a thin qtip and alcohol, yes and now for whatever the reasons the image is worse :-( now nothing turns up with most of the carts and on space invaders only a row of invaders at the bottom. Coincidence or a bad 24 pin slot? Btw how do u remove this? I tried and pushed back board tabs to get the plastic frame of the 24 pk slot but it won't come out. There's the black plastic frame around and the center black plastic where u insert the carts.