IGNORED

About the Atari 1050 Disk Drive Power Supply,Mine is dead.

Spanner

I had not used it in a while and went to use it 2 days ago and nothing...very odd,it can break cos its not been used in a while,wow...I have had it for over 20 years.

I need to get a replacement and I don't know where from,Its a 9V AC power Supply,I was thinking,I have a Acorn Electron that is powered by 19V AC,I couldn't find the Power Supply for it so I found out you can use a 19v DC instead,and it works fine...so what I am asking can you do the same with the disk drive,use a 9V DC instead..cos its must turn the 9v AC into DC inside the drive.

What you think..??

Here is a photo of it,so everybody know what it looks like for history... :D and no I will not be putting it in the bin.Still keep it... :D

It reminds me of the transformer that came with a model railway,like Hornby.. :)

I havn't had much luck with my Atari,this is dead and my SIO2PC/10502PC Dual USB has stopped working too,maybe they are connected in someway,I don't know,maybe had a short in the socket on the drive and blown the PSU and SIO2PC Dual..????

post-40380-0-43526700-1514650047_thumb.jpg

post-40380-0-21702200-1514650086_thumb.jpg

Edited by Spanner

Hello Spanner,

You cannot use a DC power supply.

The 1050 needs 12V DC as well. This is done by a voltage doubler, also containing a capacitor.

That part will not work with DC.

Maybe the transformer can be repaired.

It has a fuse inside, consisting of two pieces of wire, soldered together with some low temp solder.

Replace this one. Or resolder it, using only flux and a clean soldering iron-tip.

BR/

Guus

• Like 1

For the 1050 : Best Electronics : Part # CO14795 also works on 850 810

CO17945 is the 120V supply, looks like his was 240V outside of North America.

There was another thread recently a guy in Australia looking for a compatible 9VAC output. I'd call up some local Electronics shops and see if they have something. It needs to have at least a 3 amp output which is less common.

Keep the barrel connector end of the existing cord, just in case you need to replace the connector on whatever replacement you find with the old one.

Edited by Nezgar

Amazon usually carries some 9V AC PSUs for music equipment which have the correct plug for Ataris. There's a "Rockpower" unit rated at 2.1amps which according to hardware guru tf_hh posting on the ABBUC forum is strong enough for a 1050 which he measured to use 1.4A on spin-up with the stepper moving. Not sure if they're available with UK plugs, at worst you'll have to add a converter plug for a couple of Euros.

I'd try to look inside before ordering. AC PSUs are pretty hard to break.

Here's a link to the German post: Re: 1050 läuft und läuft...

the barrel plug always needs to be in the drives before plugging in to wall, the common failure is a fuse blowing when plugged to wall before plugged to drive... poof

just drill out the four corner holes bend any tabs and pull apart then you replace fuse put case back together and either rivet or screw closed.. all will be well

• Like 1

tf_hh also published instructions on how to convert 1050's to 12V/2A DC input (like PSUs for external 3,5" HD enclosures) in ABBUC magazin 108. I don't know if these are available in Englisch, however. Apparently the mod results in the drive running cooler.

(It looks rather simple. A couple of parts are removed and replaced by a few bridges.)

Edited by slx
  • Like 2

tf_hh also published instructions on how to convert 1050's to 12V/2A DC input (like PSUs for external 3,5" HD enclosures) in ABBUC magazin 108. I don't know if these are available in Englisch, however. Apparently the mod results in the drive running cooler.

(It looks rather simple. A couple of parts are removed and replaced by a few bridges.)

Any copy of this online?

• 3 weeks later...

thermals a sandwiched or chip like, current rated fuses typically glass or ceramic tubes sometimes with heat shrink around them... I can't see your pictures because I am text only at the moment... not your fault, it's mine..

Edited by _The Doctor__

There should be a temperature rating on the fuse.... just do a search for thermal fuses and make sure it of sufficient voltage/current rating.... these were for fire safety. They do go bad... easy and cheap to fix. 5A 250V maybe 115 degrees not sure but it should be there somewhere

Edited by _The Doctor__

Yep just tested it and my drive is working.. :) so just need that fuse,thanks eveyone. Well now at leased you have photos of the inside of one of these power supplies now.. :D

Its weird how that fuse went,cos thats to the plug mains so did it get a short from the mains or something or was it time for it to say bye bye... ??

Oh what is this fuse called.. Thermal Cutoff Fuse ...??

Can I use the tube version like the fuse on the other side of the PSU cos thats a Thermal Fuse too,well they come like that too...?

Found some here, https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_odkw=113+C+at+5A&_osacat=181829&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X113+C+at+5A+250V.TRS0&_nkw=113+C+at+5A+250V&_sacat=181829

Need help getting the right please..:D

Edited by Spanner

What would happen if I put a thin bit of wire there as a fuse or bypass the fuse,can the transformer catch fire...???

I have bypassed it to test it and my 1050 disk drive come on and works but only had it on for about 10 seconds.Dose the disk drive draw a lot of power then for the transformer to get hot,When it was working ok the transformer was only warm ish only.

My Atari PSU for my 130XE feels warmer.

Edited by Spanner

Here is a closeup of the thermal fuse..

post-40380-0-75330800-1516124295.jpg

Its made by UMI I think,anyone know where to get one from in the UK..??

I am looking on eBay and all I can find is tube fuses and 113c 10A 250V,does it matter if its 10Amp not 5Amp...??

Edited by Spanner