IGNORED

Amiga 2000, Gotek and no more gap!

eightbit

I decided to 3D print a replacement gotek case for the Amiga 2000 and paint it to match as closely as possible using off the shelf spraypaint. Worked out quite well! While I was in there I swapped the ROM from 3.1 to 2.05 in order to have "Green Alien Amiga" edition of ClassicWB look...well...green how it is supposed to.

Only odd thing I have seen is that the Amiga is now reporting 12MB of ram as opposed to 8MB. I only have an 8MB card in there along with an IDE4Zorro card for CF HD booting. Sysinfo sees the 8MB card, but now sees 4MB of "card.resource". Any ideas because I am baffled?

post-21417-0-01156300-1514657777_thumb.jpg

post-21417-0-96001000-1514657782_thumb.jpg

Did you edit your startup-sequence or user-startup files to reflect the change down to 2.x? May need to comment out anything referring to the PCMCIA port if it's there. Cardpatch is one that comes to mind. That card.resource error has to do with the A600/A1200 PCMCIA port. And 4 megs showing up like that reminds me of the >4MB RAM bug when using certain accelerators or RAM expansions in an A1200.

Or, could be that Zorro/IDE/CF card board of yours uses some of the same resources... not familiar with it at all. Sounds like maybe Kickstart 3.1 is required though...?

No, the IDE4Zorro only requires 2.05 rom:

https://www.amedia-computer.com/en/accueil/273-ide4-zorro-2-board-for-amiga-2000.html

And this image was originally created on a 2.05 ROM system, so nothing in the startup sequence is there that needs to be changed. I will however double check the PCMCIA port stuff. Thanks for the tip.

Just very weird....everything works fine...just my Amiga has more ram than I have installed in it now!

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

Well I think I have confirmed that the IDE4Zorro has some kind of bug with the 2.05 rom. With the card out the memory is detected properly. With the card in and 3.1 ROM the memory is detected properly.

But I want to use 2.05 ROM :) Well, needless to say the IDE4Zorro won't work for my own particular odd situation so it is for sale in the marketplace. I will just go back to the good ol' SCSI2SD for this project.

Well I think I have confirmed that the IDE4Zorro has some kind of bug with the 2.05 rom. With the card out the memory is detected properly. With the card in and 3.1 ROM the memory is detected properly.

But I want to use 2.05 ROM :) Well, needless to say the IDE4Zorro won't work for my own particular odd situation so it is for sale in the marketplace. I will just go back to the good ol' SCSI2SD for this project.

Have you tried contacting Viktor at his website http://irixlabs.com? I had problems with my attempt to use an IDE4 board and although I never could get it working, he went through a lot of trouble trying to help me out.

Edited by Wayneb123

Have you tried contacting Viktor at his website http://irixlabs.com? I had problems with my attempt to use an IDE4 board and although I never could get it working, he went through a lot of trouble trying to help me out.

Yes, I spoke with him and he said he thought it was a bug with my MegaChip....but that is simply not the case. Or, maybe it is when using a MegaChip in conjunction with his board. I sold it anyway, so I won't be fiddling with it any longer. The SCSI2SD was giving me the same performance anyway.

• Like 1

That's interesting seeing the SCSI2SD is cheaper, I went with a SCSI2SD also and it has been working well.

Yeah, It wasn't fast at all. And it does not help that the developer does not have much hardware to test different configurations. He's a really nice guy but I have to wonder if he has more than one Amiga 2000? I already know he does not have a MegaChip.

In any case, while it is a great device for someone who has nothing and wants to get a HDD experience, I personally like using the original SCSI GVP card (Impact II+) along with the SCSI2SD device. It was easy to set up, was reasonably snappy and really reliable. I should have never gotten rid of it in the first place...but I have another one coming ;)

Edited by eightbit

I see that the Buddha IDE adapter is being made again from Individual computers, it is up for preorder now at 54.99, one thing that I really did not like about the IDE4 was the card edge was not beveled like most add in cards, it was really hard on the card slot.

Yeah, but on the bright side once in it was not going anywhere :) I saw the preorder for the Buddha go up. Ehh, I'll pass. It would be useful for a CD-ROM if I wanted to go that route, but nah. I really like the SCSI card. Thank God the SCSI2SD device can still be had for cheap....most SCSI things are pretty expensive.

I have the IDE4 on the way myself. But as for the slot damage, this would be a problem if you keep pulling it out and inserting it again and again. If you install it once and leave it there... It'll will be enough for my present need with two 4Gb CF card, one on each channel. I don't think I'll go the spinning rust way after all.

One question that I have is if somebody has ever tried a CF to SD card adapter on their CF card equipped controller?

https://www.amazon.ca/Goliton%C2%AE-Card-Adapter-Wireless-Camera/dp/B01932IVT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515157646&sr=8-1&keywords=cf+card+adapter+to+sd+card

One question that I have is if somebody has ever tried a CF to SD card adapter on their CF card equipped controller?

https://www.amazon.ca/Goliton®-Card-Adapter-Wireless-Camera/dp/B01932IVT2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515157646&sr=8-1&keywords=cf+card+adapter+to+sd+card

Yes, via a 2.5" IDE to CF adapter with my Vampire and an ACA500. Name brand microSD cards like Sandisk and Kingston up to 32gb (highest I have tested) work perfectly fine!

Check eBay though, those CF to SD adapters can be had for about $10 shipped...

Yes, via a 2.5" IDE to CF adapter with my Vampire and an ACA500. Name brand microSD cards like Sandisk and Kingston up to 32gb (highest I have tested) work perfectly fine!

Check eBay though, those CF to SD adapters can be had for about $10 shipped...

Cool, I'll look into getting one. I have a stack of unused 4gb sd card (sandisk) that I bought a couple of years ago for some reason that I don't remember. They'll finaly be useful for something.

I have the IDE4 on the way myself. But as for the slot damage, this would be a problem if you keep pulling it out and inserting it again and again. If you install it once and leave it there... It'll will be enough for my present need with two 4Gb CF card, one on each channel. I don't think I'll go the spinning rust way after all.

Unfortunately, I did have to pull the card out and put and it back in a lot of times, I also tried it in every slot trying to get it to work. Viktor had me run lots of tests trying to get it to work on my Amiga but it never worked for me. It is entirely possible that the board was perfectly fine and the problem was in my Amiga, I dont have any other Zorro 2 slot cards to test with.

I bought the SCSI2SD because that works in my NeXTStation computer, it was easy to setup in my Amiga and with my latest USB card reader, I can read the partitions in WinUAE for transfering large files. I have two USB readers that dont work with my SCSI2SD Micro SD card in WinUAE, it was frustrating trying to find out why I couldnt read the card when all along the problem was the USB card reader.