Games Beaten In 2018!

254 replies to this topic

#251 TravisHuckins OFFLINE  

TravisHuckins

Chopper Commander

• 101 posts

Posted Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:41 PM

20181111_192633.jpg

Just beat ALTTP... took longer than it should have because the battery died when I was playing 2 years ago and I had finally replaced it earlier this year.

Edited by TravisHuckins, Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:41 PM.

#252 mbd30 OFFLINE  

mbd30

River Patroller

• 3,148 posts

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:19 AM

Double Dragon 1 has a nice, brisk pace to it and flows really well in my eyes. The platforming is far less irritating and I think it's more enjoyable as a simple "pick up and play" kind of game. Double Dragon 2 has an... interesting difficulty, to say the least. You can master it without a lot of trouble, but there are some supremely irritating parts, most notably the platforming (which there is a lot of).

I watched your one life clear for DD1. I no deathed it for the first time a few months ago.

I might try your wall strat next time. What I do is wait for a top block to pop out and then a pause and then another top block to pop out, and then make a run for it. This works pretty consistently, but it can take a long time to wait for the right pattern. Someone on Youtube actually did map out all of the wall patterns. For the longest time it seemed entirely random. I think the game designers just expected everyone to lose a life or two there as a cheap way to increase the challenge.

For the DD2 contest I managed a low score of 22,440 without a death. I almost beat the final boss without taking a hit. What I do is keep jump kicking him. If you can time it right, you can keep jump kicking him as he's getting back up. But you have to watch out for that spin attack.

Sag0tOu.jpg

#253 Austin OFFLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 12,787 posts

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:17 PM

I might try your wall strat next time. What I do is wait for a top block to pop out and then a pause and then another top block to pop out, and then make a run for it. This works pretty consistently, but it can take a long time to wait for the right pattern. Someone on Youtube actually did map out all of the wall patterns. For the longest time it seemed entirely random. I think the game designers just expected everyone to lose a life or two there as a cheap way to increase the challenge.

Yeah, it's tricky and isn't guaranteed to work. I think the idea is to jump from the solid black line and land on the next two blocks over. Getting it right will make it so the second column of blocks won't trigger. I had use save states on my flash cart to practice it and it was supremely inconsistent (I got quite lucky when it came to the real deal in the LP, honestly).

#254 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

Quadrunner

• 5,501 posts

Posted Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:39 PM

Here's the DD1 video I think mbd30 means:

There's also this:

BTW is this run still the Double Dragon world record? It seems like there's a lot that can be improved upon:

EDIT: Ah, I see lower times listed here:

https://www.speedrun.com/doubledragon

#255 Silverfleet OFFLINE  

Silverfleet

Dragonstomper

• 558 posts

Posted Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:08 AM

Over the long weekend, I spent some quality time with my Switch, and ran through two games:

Castlevan... err... Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

MwF6OJ9l.jpg

This one was fun. Definitely easier than most Castlevania games, and it borrows so much from Dracula's Curse and contemporary games like Shovel Knight. Can't wait for the full Bloodstained game to come out, if it ever does. I still need to run through it again for the 2nd play-through to unlock everything. 

The Legend of Zelda (NES, via the Switch)

DFoMgPnl.jpg

o5oIOfZl.jpg

I haven't played through the original Zelda game in years. It really never gets old; such a great game. I forgot that Ganon gets reduced to a bloody pile of chunks after you defeat him!  :lol: And speaking of games with second quests... I've never played through the second quest before. That's on my list now! 

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users