Photo

What isometric sh'mups are there on the A8?

3 replies to this topic

#1 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 8,765 posts

Posted Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:11 PM

Besides the ones I have listed below. Sh'mups is all I'm asking about, I'm not looking for all isometric games. I thought there were a few more, but I can't recall. On a side note, it's a shame no sh'mups like Commando were ever done in an isometric view, I think that would be incredible! (note to programmers planning a shooter, but want to do something "different.") Was there ever an isometric Commando/Ikari Warriors style game done on any 8/16-bit computer or console? How about on anything at any time?

Blue Max

Blue Max 2001

Panther

Zaxxon

Super Zaxxon

Edited by Gunstar, Tue Jan 2, 2018 3:18 PM.

#2 TMR OFFLINE  

TMR

River Patroller

• 3,385 posts
  • Beeping the horn on the data bus

Posted Tue Jan 2, 2018 5:23 PM

I thought there were a few more, but I can't recall.

i think the only one you're missing is Desert Falcon?

On a side note, it's a shame no sh'mups like Commando were ever done in an isometric view, I think that would be incredible! (note to programmers planning a shooter, but want to do something "different.")

i've played all of the games mentioned so far and things on other 8-bits like Leviathan, Zig Zag and HATE but don't really enjoy them much; since i'd have to spend upwards of nine months playtesting my own code if i were to write one that doesn't sound particularly appealing i'm afraid! (Neither does having to write bespoke map tools now i think about it...)

Was there ever an isometric Commando/Ikari Warriors style game done on any 8/16-bit computer or console? How about on anything at any time?

The only two that spring to mind are Zeppelin's Arnie on the C64 (the Amiga game of the same name is side view) and Arnie 2 (C64, Amiga and DOS i think?).

#3 Lord Thag OFFLINE  

Lord Thag

River Patroller

• 3,180 posts
  • We put our faith in Blast Hardcheese

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 12:49 AM

Pastfinder qualifies as isometric, or it's close.

#4 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• Topic Starter
  • 8,765 posts

Posted Fri Jan 5, 2018 10:13 AM

Pastfinder qualifies as isometric, or it's close.

I thought of it and yes, it's sort of close, but isometric can mean only isometric, Pastfinder has a perspective that's close in the sense of non-scaling pseudo 3D, like isometric, but it's just not isometric. So I didn't include it. It's just like 3/4 overhead view, like Commando.

Edited by Gunstar, Fri Jan 5, 2018 10:15 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users