IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2018 (Season 11)

Popping in this week later than usual...

Master System

Enduro Racer - 60 min (Played this one for quite a while. Found some spots where I could pretty much just ride to the finish line. Pretty fun game once you get the hang of it. I almost finished the 10th level... ran out of time in site of the finish line.)

I was surprised at how much I liked this game. It took me a while to figure out that you can push the "middle" button on the SMS controller to even out the bike in mid-air get the maximum out of the jumps. That almost made the game too easy.

I've heard that the original version from Japan is longer and more difficult, but I've never tried it.

Edit - it is referred to as the "D-button" or "neutral zone" in the manual: https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:Enduroracer_sms_us_manual.pdf&page=6

• Like 3

Here's the summary for Week 32, running from August 6 - 12. We logged 6536 minutes of eligible play, playing 63 games on a total of 13 systems.

Top 10:

1. Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (NES/Famicom) - 980

2. Ecco the Dolphin (Genesis) - 556

3. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 413

4. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES) - 398

5. Mario Kart 64 (N64) - 360

6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PlayStation) - 321

7. Killing Game Show, The (JPN) (Genesis) - 228

8. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 225

9. Legend of Zelda, The (NES/Famicom) - 219

10. Faxanadu (NES/Famicom) - 210

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 413

2. Missile Command (Atari 2600) - 225

3. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 189

4. Asterix (Atari 2600) - 80

5. Beamrider (Atari 2600) - 47

6. Dark Chambers (Atari 8-bit) - 40

7. Dark Chambers (Atari 2600) - 35

8. Alpiner (TI-99/4A) - 30

9. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 26

10. Pole Position (C64) - 25

Top 10 systems:

1. NES/Famicom (2863)

2. Atari 2600 (1071)

3. Genesis (784)

4. N64 (580)

5. SNES (459)

6. PlayStation (321)

7. 3DO (164)

8. Sega Master System (74)

9. TI-99/4A (70)

10. Atari 8-bit (55)

Another NES sequel claims the charts, with Zelda II taking the laurels in a busy week and leading its host system to a big win on the system charts.

The NES also contributes two new entrants to the 1000-minute club, as Kirby's Adventure and Mega Man 2 claim spots #336 and #337 with 1063 and 1086 minutes logged respectively.

• Like 8

I was surprised at how much I liked this game. It took me a while to figure out that you can push the "middle" button on the SMS controller to even out the bike in mid-air get the maximum out of the jumps. That almost made the game too easy.

I've heard that the original version from Japan is longer and more difficult, but I've never tried it.

Edit - it is referred to as the "D-button" or "neutral zone" in the manual: https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:Enduroracer_sms_us_manual.pdf&page=6

I did find that doing a wheelie just as I hit the ramps helped out immensely. Figured that out without the manual somehow. But now reading the manual, I might have to go back and try out the "neutral zone" thing.

• Like 3

I keep playing Zelda II, but I just can't get into the game- not sure what it is about it. maybe it's the side-scrolling piece? it for sure is harder than Zelda I ;)

You aren't the only one. I returned that game to the store when I was a kid because it was such a big disappointment.

I could probably appreciate it more for what it is now though . . .

• Like 2

I keep playing Zelda II, but I just can't get into the game- not sure what it is about it. maybe it's the side-scrolling piece? it for sure is harder than Zelda I ;)

I'm having the opposite problem. I beat Zelda II last week and put it back on the shelf, intent on playing something new this week, then when I couldn't decide what to play I ended up just playing Zelda II again. :lol:

• Like 4

Amiga OCS:

Amiga Columns - 4 min.

Jeopard - 204 min.

Atari 8-bit:

Alley Cat - 24 min.

Metagalactic Llamas - 65 min.

A new round of HSC with one of my favorite games, plus trying out the Amiga 1200 to play some older games. Jeopard is a RISK game with no hard limitations so it is up to the players to set any house rules. I tried to come up with the rule that each player is allowed 1 successful attack per round, plus another 1 successful attack for each player already eliminated. The game awards increasingly number of troops for each time one trades in cards, so after a while it is not uncommon to have 100++ troops to place. I found that the house rule of 1-2-3-4-5-6 attacks (for a game of 7 players) would make it last nearly forever, while a pattern of 1-2-3-5-7-10 attacks seems to mean there eventually can be an end to it.

• Like 5

Red Sea Crossing??? Is that game widely available now? I thought there were only very few copies of it and no ROM available...

ATARI 2600

Red Sea Crossing - 32 minutes

Anyway, here are my times for this past week (August 13th through 19th) on classic games...

Atari 7800:

Serpentine - 63 min. in 2 sessions

This week there was only time for two sessions of Serpentine spread over one day where I didn't go swimming because it was a bit cloudy. We have another heatwave right now, and it will probably last until Thursday or Friday, so still very little time for gaming here.

In the game itself, I did get past the dreaded Level 11 where I usually fail, I think I made it up to Level 16 or 18, but by then your speed advantage over the enemy snakes gets very thin.

• Like 5

Times for the week:

NES Tetris 91 minutes

Atari 2600:

For the Activision 2018 Patch Quest

Beam Rider 64 minutes - Patch earned

Enduro 49 minutes - Patch earned

Grand Prix 26 minutes - Patch earned

Ice Hockey 5 minutes - No Patch

Kaboom 15 minutes - No patch High score only 1465

Megamania 30 Minutes - Patch earned

Spider Fighter 32 minutes - No patch received, not close yet.

All seven of the above activision games are great fun to play, all classics, except Hockey.

Solar Fox 227 minutes

• Like 5

My time for the week:

Game Gear:
The Chessmaster - 681 min.
Basically just letting it run in the background while I do other things, but that's the nature of chess programs. (At least it has an audio cue to tell me when it's moved.)
Beat Levels 1, 6, 10, and 13 with the White pieces, all rather easily; now working on Infinite level with the Black pieces.
  • Like 6

It was another one of those "I have no idea what to play" kind of weeks, so I spent most of the week bouncing between games, but I did settle on a game eventually. :)

yoLbs6h.jpg

Ineligible
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Nintendo 3DS) - 195 minutes
Link's Crossbow Training (Nintendo Wii) - 111 minutes
Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (Nintendo Wii) - 854 minutes

NES
Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - 69 minutes
Hogan's Alley - 49 minutes
Super Mario Bros. - 95 minutes
Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - 89 minutes

PlayStation
Clock Tower - 185 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,647 minutes (27 hours 27 minutes) [487 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
Nintendo Wii: 965 minutes
NES: 302 minutes
Nintendo 3DS: 195 minutes
PlayStation: 185 minutes

I started off the week putting a little more time into the small assortment of NES games I own, first starting (and quickly losing interest in) a new game in Zelda II after completing my first play through last week. After that I started a new game in Castlevania III but got stuck and frustrated trying to take Alucard's path this time around, so I ended up putting that game back on the shelf and just played Hogan's Alley for a while. On Wednesday night I was feeling particularly cruddy medically speaking so the misses offered to play a game with me for a while to help brighten my spirits, so we ended up doing a 2-player game of Super Mario Bros. for an hour and a half or so. We made it to World 7 without warps before running out of lives, but at that point I really needed to lay down and get some rest so we elected not to continue when our lives ran out.

Next up I did my third play through of the exceedingly awesome Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on the 3DS, and for a little more modern gaming I also played and beat Link's Crossbow Training on the Wii with a platinum ranking on every level for the first time; which felt pretty darn satisfying to accomplish. Playing Link's Crossbow Training got me in the mood to dive into some more Wii games, so after bouncing around between games all week I finally settled on playing through Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition on Professional difficulty. In spite of having beat Resident Evil 4 at least half a dozen times in the past I had never played this game on Professional before, and holy cow has it ever been giving me challenge. It's definitely a difficulty setting suited only to those who have played through the game enough times to know it inside and out, and even then it's still going to be really tough.

At this point I'm about 3/4 of the way through Resident Evil 4 and I'm still having a great time with it, so unless I hit some major difficulty roadblock I think I'll be finishing the game next week. For the misses' gaming time this past week the only game she played, aside from the hour and a half of Super Mario Bros. that we played together, was Clock Tower on the PlayStation. Clock Tower was one of the handful of games that she got for her birthday a few weeks ago and she's been having a lot of fun with it thus far. It's a fairly short game (she's already 2/3 of the way through after 3 hours of play) but she has had nothing but good things to say about it's unique point-and-click adventure + survival horror genre mashup gameplay. I'm pretty sure she'll finish Clock Tower next week, and possibly play it some more after that since the game's branching paths and different character selection options should give it a great deal of replay value.

Anyway, I think that about covers everything for this week! Until next week, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours. :)

Edited by Jin
  • Like 5

Atari 2600

Seaquest- 2 hours

Space invaders- 1 hour

Sega Genesis

Rocket knight adventures- 4 hours

Sonic 2- 6 hours

Sonic 3- 15 minutes

Sega Saturn

Nights into Dreams- 83 minutes

Dark Saviour - 126 minutes

TI-99/4a

Donkey Kong - 30 minutes

Rotor Raiders - 45 minutes

TI- Invaders- 2 hours

Dig dug - 35 minutes

MunchMan- 50 minutes

Popeye- 90 minutes

• Like 7

My times...

2600 (via the Portable Flashback)

Bowling - 80 min (Yeah... 80 min on Bowling. lol What is surprising is that my scores in the game are pretty close to the kind of scores I get in real life. I'm not much of a bowler, so these are usually in the upper 100s. There was one outlying game, though where I got 255. It's a simple game. Line up your bowler, hit the button, move the joystick to make the ball turn. But it is difficult to do with consistency. I was sometimes annoyed that the pins didn't bounce the way I thought they should, but I still had fun.)

TurboGrafx-CD (via Wii VC)

Gate of Thunder - 9 min (Didn't know if TG-CD was a separate category from regular TG games... A fun shooter. Generally regarded, I believe, as one of the best for the system, CD or Hucard. I do wish the audio mix was a little different so you could turn up the jams a little more. I changed the room that the Wii was in from the living room to my game room, so I'll probably play more VC and Wii stuff soon. Was mainly just messing around which is why there is only 9 minutes here.)

NeoGeo (via Wii VC of course... I can't afford one of these!)

Metal Slug - 9 min (Again, messing around with the Wii. This game needs no explanation. I just wish I was better at it. But that takes practice. And I'm lazy.)

Playstation (via PS for PSP)

Castlevania SotN - 116 min (Got most of the first castle explored. Got the glasses and defeated the orb above Richter. Got far enough into the inverted castle to save and that's about it so far. I'll play more this next week. Such a great game.)

post-21069-0-34988400-1534768382.jpg

Edited by Eltigro
  • Like 6

Smurf Rescue - CV 10 min.

Lady Bug - CV 6 min. on difficulty 4

Burgertime - CV - 7 min.

DK Jr - CV 5 min

Frogger - CV 5 min.

Frogger - Mame 8 min.

Crush Roller - Mame 8 min.

Hey a new guy! (at least I don't think I've seen you track time before)

Welcome to the illness cimerians. There is also a "modern" tracker for tracking time on systems released in the year 2000 and after.

• Like 4

Hey a new guy! (at least I don't think I've seen you track time before)

Welcome to the illness cimerians. There is also a "modern" tracker for tracking time on systems released in the year 2000 and after.

Thanks man, am trying to get back into it, the right hand is still giving me a little bit of trouble which is affecting my scores, I thought why not post some times here? Looks pretty cool.

I'll check out the modern tracker.

• Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 33, running from August 13 - 19. We logged 4605 minutes of eligible play, playing 59 games on a total of 16 systems.

Top 10:

1. The Chessmaster (Game Gear) - 681

2. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 428

3. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis) - 360

4. Rocket Knight Adventures (Genesis) - 240

5. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 227

6. Jeopard (Amiga) - 204

7. Clock Tower (PlayStation) - 185

8. Spy Hunter (NES/Famicom) - 144

9. Dark Savior (Sega Saturn) - 126

10. Seaquest (Atari 2600) - 120

10. TI Invaders (TI-99/4A) - 120

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 428

2. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 227

3. Seaquest (Atari 2600) - 120

3. TI Invaders (TI-99/4A) - 120

5. Popeye (TI-99/4A) - 90

6. Bowling (Atari 2600) - 80

7. Spy Hunter (C64) - 76

8. Metagalactic Llamas (Atari 8-bit) - 65

9. Beamrider (Atari 2600) - 64

10. Serpentine (Atari 7800) - 63

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1192)

2. Game Gear (681)

3. Genesis (615)

4. NES/Famicom (537)

5. TI-99/4A (370)

6. PlayStation (301)

7. C64 (212)

8. Sega Saturn (209)

9. Amiga (208)

10. Atari 8-bit (89)

Kaboom takes the pre-NES laurels and leads the Atari 2600 to the peak of the system charts, but it's The Chessmaster that comes out of nowhere to top the individual Top 10.

And -- spoiler alert -- I already know that it's going to make a strong showing in Week 34 as well...

• Like 6