IGNORED

What have you actually PLAYED tracker for 2018 (Season 11)

We didn't do a lot this week. I checked the running log @ILikeTurtles keeps next to the machines, and there were two titles on it:

TI-99/4A

Jet Set Willy 15 minutes

River Rescue 5 minutes

And I didn't get any play time at all. . .so I couldn't add anything else to the list.

• Like 7

Times for the week are:

All Atari 2600:

Cosmic Ark for HSC first time I played this, very good game. 63 minutes.

Demon Attack for HSC, always s favorite of mine, 78 minutes.

Eggomania 17 minutes.

Fire Fighter for HSC bonus points, first time I ever played, also fun and interesting game, 8 minutes.

Seaweed Asssult for Homebrew HSC 18 minutes.

Solar Fox 125 minutes.

Fun week of gaming.

• Like 6

No modern gaming time at all around here this past week, but it was a great week for classic gaming! :)

kyylYFN.jpg

Atari 2600
Cosmic Ark (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 226 minutes
Demon Attack (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 97 minutes
Fire Fighter (Emulated on Nintendo Wii) - 12 minutes

Game Boy
Solar Striker - 22 minutes
Tetris - 14 minutes

PlayStation
Alien Resurrection - 223 minutes
Nightmare Creatures - 443 minutes

Sega Genesis
Golden Axe (Played on Genesis 6-Pak) - 148 minutes
Sonic the Hedgehog (Played on Genesis 6-Pak) - 131 minutes

Total Video Game Play Time This Week
1,316 minutes (21 hours 56 minutes) [1,316 minutes eligible]

Individual System Play Times This Week
PlayStation: 666 minutes
Atari 2600: 335 minutes
Sega Genesis: 279 minutes
Game Boy: 36 minutes

With my Wii out of commission until I can install a new disc drive in it (which I ordered for it last night, so the Wii should be up and running again by next weekend) I wasn't sure exactly what to play this week, so I went rooting through my wife's PlayStation collection until something caught my eye. The game I settled on was Nightmare Creatures, which I ended up doing a full play through of and beating this week. You can find full thoughts on the game here in the Games Beaten in 2018 thread, but suffice it to say I had an awesome time with it.

The big highlight of the past week though was getting my old backlit Game Boy back from the fellow AtariAger who bought it, and I can safely say that I will never let go of this system ever again. I don't think I've been this excited to get a game system since I was 7 years old and got a Sega Genesis for Christmas! I haven't spent a ton of time playing the Game Boy yet, but I did do a full play through of Solar Striker and a round of Tetris on it over the weekend. As far as my other gaming time for the week went, it was mostly focused on playing some Atari 2600 High Score Club games. I feel like I'm doing pretty well so far in this season of the HSC and I'm having a lot of fun competing too, which is the most important thing for sure.

The misses did a fair bit of gaming this past week too, first finishing up and beating Alien Resurrection on the PlayStation then (after watching me play for it a bit) started her own game of Nightmare Creatures as well. She hasn't beaten Nightmare Creatures yet, but she is about halfway through and having a great time with it. That was all the misses played up until Sunday morning, when I was feeling a little down so she suggested we play some games together to cheer me up; and sure enough it worked like a charm. We ended up playing through the original Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega Genesis, trading off the controller between zones, and managed to beat it with all 6 chaos emeralds collected to boot. As far as video game comfort food goes there's few games that never fail to cheer me up quite like the Sonic games on the Genesis. Sonic 1, 2, 3, Sonic & Knuckles, 3D Blast, and even Sonic Spinball and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine. They all give me the warm fuzzies every time I play them. :)

After we finished playing through Sonic the spousal unit decided to spend a few more hours with the Genesis, playing Golden Axe three times but never quite managing to finish it. I can't blame her though, it's a darn tough game and I've never been able to beat it either. She was able to make it to the final boss, Death Bringer, every time but always ended up getting all her lives and continues drained in short order thanks to the last boss's unblockable magic attacks and invincible skeletons. She still had a great time playing it though and said that even if she never beats it Golden Axe is still fun to play.

Looking ahead to next week I'm not too sure what I'll be playing. When the replacement disc drive for my Wii shows up in the mail I'd definitely like to get back to the Wii games that I was in the middle of playing last week when the disc drive died, but until then I might root through the misses' PlayStation library a little more to find something spooky to play. She does have almost every horror game on the system so there shouldn't be any shortage of options, and on that note I know she does plan to continue playing Nightmare Creatures next week and possibly get back to Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare after that.

I think that about wraps it up for this week! So until next time, and as always, best wishes and happy gaming to you and yours.

Edited by Jin
  • Like 6

ATARI 2600:

Demon Attack - 72 minutes

ATARI 7800:

Galaga - 3 minutes

Get Lost - 7 minutes

Ms. Pac-Man - 5 minutes

Pac-Man Collection - 25 minutes

Xevious - 20 minutes

EVIDENCE OF THE WEEK: Demon Attack gameplay footage, presented for 2600 NEW HSC Season 8, Week 3.

Edited by oyamafamily
  • Like 5

Here's the summary for Week 42, running from October 15 - 21. We logged 4017 minutes of eligible play, playing 59 games on a total of 14 systems.

Top 10:

1. Nightmare Creatures (PlayStation) - 443

2. Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600) - 431

3. Demon Attack (Atari 2600) - 265

4. Ultima: Akalabeth (Vectrex) - 230

5. Alien Resurrection (PlayStation) - 223

6. Rampage (Atari Lynx) - 200

7. Fighting Force 64 (N64) - 189

8. Golden Axe (Genesis) - 148

9. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 143

10. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 135

Pre-NES top 10:

1. Cosmic Ark (Atari 2600) - 431

2. Demon Attack (Atari 2600) - 265

3. Ultima: Akalabeth (Vectrex) - 230

4. Kaboom (Atari 2600) - 143

5. Hunchy II (Atari 2600) - 135

6. Solar Fox (Atari 2600) - 125

7. Missilebreak Outvaders (Vectrex) - 80

8. Scramble (Atari 8-bit) - 76

9. Galencia (C64) - 68

10. Battle Ships (C64) - 54

Top 10 systems:

1. Atari 2600 (1159)

2. PlayStation (666)

3. Vectrex (350)

4. Atari Lynx (318)

5. N64 (302)

6. NES/Famicom (300)

7. Genesis (279)

8. Atari 8-bit (202)

9. C64 (171)

10. TI-99/4A (100)

We're starting to see the expected influx of Halloween-themed titles, as Nightmare Creatures takes the crown over games about demons, aliens, giant monsters, mad bombers, dwarves, and hunchbacks.

• Like 6

Atari 2600

Demon Attack: 82 min

Ghost Manor: 17 min

Room of Doom: 9 min

Commodore 64

Battle Ships: 49 min

Not much change from last week's playtime. I was wondering how many minutes of Battleships and Kaiser have been logged so far. I suspect I'm the only one who logged these two games over the last couple of years...

• Like 5

Not too many. With this week's times, it's 228 min. for Battle Ships and 254 min. for Kaiser.

Thank you tgb. I remember single Kaiser sessions with two friends that took longer than that. Mostly, this was when we played "with war". Waging war in Kaiser involves a rather tedious strategy game-in-the-game with little benefit for the winner. Also, the third player was doomed to sit through it doing nothing. So we mostly agreed not to use this feature.

These days, I am just playing to become Kaiser as fast as possible. Usually, it takes me around 35 years.

• Like 3

Here are my times for this past week (October 22th through 28th)...

Arcade:

Burger Time - 17 min.

Super Burger Time - 22 min.

Atari 2600:

Chaotic Grill - 13 min.

Super Cobra - 4 min.

Visual PinMAME:

Baby Pac-Man - 12 min.

This week I played three installments of Burger Tiime - the original Arcade one, the port "Chaotic Grill" on the Atari 2600 which is still WIP, and the arcade sequel "Super Burger Time". Apart from that, I played a bit of Super Cobra for the Atari 2600, and Baby Pac-Man on Visual PinMAME (same configuration as before). I also continued to work on Baby Pac-Man for the Atari 7800 where I actually struggle with a believable formula for the flipper physics. Somebody requested that some pinball tricks should work on my version, but I doubt they even work on the real thing. I didn't get them to work on Visual PinMAME anyway.

"Oh, und ich hoffe, ich brauche nicht neunundzwanzig Jahre, um das verdammte Spiel fertigzustellen. ;-)"

Edited by Kurt_Woloch
  • Like 6

Atari 8-bit:

Scramble - 68 min.

Vanguard - 39 min.

Microbee 32:

Asteroids Plus - 7 min.

Hopper - 6 min.

Kilopede - 6 min.

Munch - 2 min.

Another week of HSC, plus that I tested a borrowed Microbee that I intended to make another cable harness for, but perhaps there is no demand for one. I thought this one had colours when connected to a regular TV but apparently it is only hires B&W. Munch is a math game disguised as Pac-Man, a little disappointing.

Karokoenig: I played Kaiser on the C64 a couple of years ago, but apparently it was before July 2013 since it doesn't show up in my notes and thus not in the tracker. Unfortunately I wasn't that impressed, so I never played it again in the past 5+ years. It was said to be the German equivalent of M.U.L.E. though I found it to be an improved version of Lemonade Stand with some wargame elements...

• Like 6

Only a couple games this week... both new ones...

Draconian - 90 min (This time is approximate... thought I had started my timer but when I quit playing it was saying all zeroes. Oh well. Loving the game. I've been concentrating on the first quadrant. Reading through the others, there's five quadrants to pick from with different maps of bases in each. The first quadrant are the Midway Arcade levels, second quadrant are the Namco Arcade Levels (which I'm more familiar with), the third is from the Draconian contributors, the fourth is from AtariAge members (!!!), and the fifth, yes, a fifth QUADrant, is randomly generated. Still amazed at what they can make this old machine do.)

Playstation
Legend of Dragoon
- 351 min (Mostly enjoying the game so far. Story seems okay, characters seem okay, music is okay... not really enjoying the whole timing aspect of battle. There are different moves you can do where you have to time button presses to continue the attack and essentially string together swings to get a more powerful attack. Thing is, I suck at it... some I am able to do, but some I never seem to pull off. And if you don't pull it off, the default attack damage is crap. Not a huge deal at the moment because the enemies don't seem to have very high HP, but I'm imagining later in the game, the timing attack things will be more and more necessary as the enemies get stronger. Thing is, for all the praise this game seems to get, it's not blowing me away. Did I go in with too high of expectations? Dunno.)

post-21069-0-98009500-1540773715_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Times for the week are:

All Atari 2600:

Demon Attack 70 minutes for HSC. Rolled the game.

Fire Fighter for the HSC 4 minutes. First time playing.

Room of Doom for HSC. 42 Minutues - first time playing.

Soler Fox 208 minutes, High score of 5,350,000

All fun games.

• Like 5

ATARI 2600:

Fire Fighter - 6 minutes (for HSC - Bonus points on Imagic Weeks)

Missile Command - 82 minutes (just to fire up my console periodically)

Room of Doom - 105 minutes (Points for HSC and Fastest Completion for Hi-Score Today)

ATARI 7800:

Get Lost! - 15 minutes (for HSC)

EVIDENCE OF THE WEEK: Room of Doom gameplay footage, presented for 2600 NEW HSC Season 8, Week 4 (Halloween Special)

• Like 5