IGNORED

strange PS/2 to 1350 mouse adapter behavior

Swami

I have a couple adapters that are supposed to turn more modern mice into a commordore 1350/1351 mouse. The 1350 mode is a joystick mouse, so I can theoretically use it on any 2600/7800/A8 game that uses a joystick. One uses the PSone mouse, odd as that may be, and the other uses PS/2 (PC) mice, such as optical mice. What is strange is that they both abberantly fire the "fire 1" button on these machines whenever the mouse changes direction in an atari game, while the actual three 1350/1351 mice I have do not. Ironically, despite having five C64 mouse devices, I currently have no C64/128 to use as a standard for comparison.

Here's the pinout.

http://www.ntrautanen.fi/computers/hardware/misc/1351_pinout.htm

By the way, I don't think either adapter has right button fire supported on pin9, since it doesn't have much if any use on a C64 and it doesn't appear to work. Still a shame, since that means no mousing on 7800 scramble. I have one working 1351, another that just goes left/right, and an 80s Kraft trackball with ST/ amiga/1350 modes, but looking into the optical mouse adapters because I'm curious about higher resolution and faster speed. And, if wondering, I'm using mice because I was just curious about using mice. I continue to be disappointed by the various shortcomings of modern adapters sold to emulate old mice, joysticks, ect., although, when they do work right for something, it has been a fun alternative way of playing.

Edit: Testing on my PC controller program shows that when I press fire 1 (Left B, pin 6), up is also triggered (pin 1) and when I push the mouse up, Left B is on as long as I keep moving up. moving the mouse L/D, D, or R/D does not trigger fire, but L/U, U and R/U do. Also, when you press the left button, the UP direction flickers in test.

This is the one from Melbourne Console Repros:

http://melbourneconsolerepros.com/product_info.php?products_id=126

I also learned with another adapter that the 2600 and 7800 must have less max current on their VCC than the C64 (and my laptop PC with 2600dapter), according to the LED on the adapter.

The sellers appear clueless and will tell you things that are not true, like that this 2-player one also has 1350 joystick mode for the mouse, but it doesn't (and call it a 4-player in e-mail):

http://melbourneconsolerepros.com/product_info.php?products_id=136

and leave out other details, like that the first melbourne adapter does not support the right "1350" joystick mode button, even though it works on the original 1350 and 1351 mouse in joystick mode.