IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

Nice catch Brian!!!

I was wondering if anyone was going to say something ;-)

Perry yeah you like my 47k resistor? LOL

Didnt have one in the parts bin and 68k was too high... so I made one ;-)

IF it works who gives a shit right? 3 is better than 1..er..the same as one in this case.... ;)

Maybe it's 48K, but I'm just going by memory. I don't look at the color chart often. :P

I said do the math as a call to the old Jaguar promotions. The color code isn't my friend either :dunce:

• Like 1

Well.... more progress.

Pulled the XM BIOS out, went back and tried all of the games that didn't work, plus a few others that I hadn't tried.

Games now working:

BallBlazer

Hat Trick

MotoPsycho

F14 Tomcat

F18

Pac Man plus

Pac Man Collection

Super Pac man

Space Invaders

Berzerk Voice Enhanced

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Vanguard

Spy Hunter

So this is a good sign, plus the fact I cross checked all of the pin assignments from the PLCC, Schematic and ran a trace on the board traces...

Did find 3 pin assignments one the PLCC socket layout that were mismatched, but the board and schematic are both correct, so possible PLD pin out issue which is an easy fix...

also noticed a possible issue with the BIOS CE# and OE# lines and this may be why pulling the BIOS allowed a lot of games that didn't run to now run.

Perry, Mark and I exchanged a lot back and forth tonight so we'll keep at it tomorrow and hopefully the progress will just continue until we have the BIOS up and running and then its time to populate the HSC and SRAM and run the internal tests from the BIOS to see how things are working.... then POKEY & Audio tie in (When I tested Ball Blazer, of course if had no audio since the audio pass thru circuits aren't populated yet.)

Then the Keyboard and finally.... the dreaded Yamaha Insanity Zone! :-)

• Like 4

Well.... more progress.

Pulled the XM BIOS out, went back and tried all of the games that didn't work, plus a few others that I hadn't tried.

Games now working:

Spy Hunter

Did you mean Fatal Run? If not, and you actually mean Spy Hunter for the 7800 you been holding out on us and just really fuckin' slipped up.

Where is the RomZ yo? :cool:

Nice "47k" resistor. ;)

10k + 10k + 27k <---Yes I can read color codes without looking up the tables! :grin:

If it works, it works. You can also get a slightly higher wattage rating by chaining series/parallel networks... ;-)

I once almost used a 4.7k and a 1k resistor in parallel (I needed an 820 ohm and RadioShack didn't have any, though technically 4.7k || 1k = 824.56 ohms but was close enough) to fix the color saturation on my 4-switch Atari. Would have worked like a charm, until one of the AtariAge forum members who saw that I was in need mailed me a free 820 ohm resistor, folded in a sheet of paper in a white envelope. ;-)

Thought that there mightve been a reversal of the Data lines running through the Bus divider next to the PLD, but turns out the pin labeling was reversed and the actual data lines pass through fine. Found a small issue on the PLD reset circuit and corrected it tonight and Mark, Perry and I have been furiously exchanging emails on every area trying to figure out the mystery as to why the Cartridges are all loading fine but the BIOS goes through the checksum check and then crashes... so just wanted to keep everyone in the loop...

• Like 6

Thought that there mightve been a reversal of the Data lines running through the Bus divider next to the PLD, but turns out the pin labeling was reversed and the actual data lines pass through fine. Found a small issue on the PLD reset circuit and corrected it tonight and Mark, Perry and I have been furiously exchanging emails on every area trying to figure out the mystery as to why the Cartridges are all loading fine but the BIOS goes through the checksum check and then crashes... so just wanted to keep everyone in the loop...

I see a few of your messages mention "Mark". Are you referring to Mark Ball AKA GroovyBee? Just curious.

While still looking to find why the BIOS isn't loading I've done some more compatibility testing to see if the issues from the Rev 2 have been solved in the Rev 3 XM's...

Mountain King (CBS RamPlus) is now working

Berzerk Voice Enhanced is now working

Going to test SARA chip games like Defender II/Stargate and Jr Pac Man as those never worked on the Rev 2. Will also be doing some other testing of games this weekend as well while continuing to look for the reason why the BIOS isn't booting after the CRC check screen.

• Like 9

Nightmare? No, but definitely a heavy duty challenge for certain.

Its actually fun and each time things get another step closer.

You are a bigger man than I am, this MOFU was a nightmare to get right and working on all systems. Bunch of people haven't even seen this yet (I think), it is revision B of the VersaBoard. More better, even has SIO exposed now. LOL

IMG_2058.JPG

• Like 7

Back on topic, Curt, have you taken a blank board and installed nothing but the passthrough part on it? Just as a sanity check.

Do you mean to check the cart passthrough works? He's been testing 7800 and 2600 carts on it and they do work. It actually has to have the PLD installed for that functionality to work because the A12, A14 and A15 lines don't pass directly from the console to the cart. They are routed thru the PLD so that it has the capability of disabling the cart while the BIOS runs. With no cartridge and just the XM installed, the console is getting to the rainbow fuji graphic, which means it is passing it's internal RAM and CPU tests, correctly identifies the BIOS chip as a cart and proceeds with the signature test. It then exits the signature test and crashes. This is the point were we don't know what is going on. The only circuits installed at this point are what is required to run the BIOS. Curt has been probing the signals and they look ok as far as we can tell. Mark is looking at it also and preparing some tests.

• Like 2

You are a bigger man than I am, this MOFU was a nightmare to get right and working on all systems. Bunch of people haven't even seen this yet (I think), it is revision B of the VersaBoard. More better, even has SIO exposed now. LOL

Love that big 40-pin DIP location at top ... "CO12249B" ... Music to our ears and games.

Now if only there was a POKEY-clone available cheap. :(

• Like 1