IGNORED

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

Curt Vendel

I wonder if any of the stuff GCC was working on for their joystick keyboard is still around and/or able to be converted to work with the Pokey interfaced keyboard?

Yes there is but I don't know how much is public and what is not public. I'm aware of such software but I'll leave it up to those that actually own it to speak up. I don't know about any hardware though, just some software. It's not my place to say any more than that. Not being cryptic, just don't want to piss anyone off saying the wrong thing about stuff that isn't mine to discuss further than this. I appreciate when I'm made privy to such things and I want to keep it that way :)

• Like 1

Yes there is but I don't know how much is public and what is not public. I'm aware of such software but I'll leave it up to those that actually own it to speak up. I don't know about any hardware though, just some software. It's not my place to say any more than that. Not being cryptic, just don't want to piss anyone off saying the wrong thing about stuff that isn't mine to discuss further than this. I appreciate when I'm made privy to such things and I want to keep it that way :)

I found some info about this here: http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/7800keyboard.html

This likely means that Curt probably knows the state of affairs concerning this. According to the article, it does look like there was a 7800 Pro Basic written by GCC as well as a Video Writer app that were almost ready for release, but unfortunately that never happened. If whoever is sitting on this stuff could be convinced to release it into the public domain, this would be a very good start to creating something to take advantage of the XM's keyboard capability. Of course the keyboard handler would need to be converted from using the joystick interfaced proprietary keyboard hardware that GCC had developed over to the XM's Pokey based system.

It's great that you advertised that keyboard adapter but it's a little bit premature.

There's been some radio silence on the XM so I take the problems they encountered (the last batch of problems that is) is still not completely solved.

I wish it was different but that's not the case. If/when they solve them then that gizmo of yours would be something worth considering, until then it can wait.

• Like 1

It's great that you advertised that keyboard adapter but it's a little bit premature.

There's been some radio silence on the XM so I take the problems they encountered (the last batch of problems that is) is still not completely solved.

I wish it was different but that's not the case. If/when they solve them then that gizmo of yours would be something worth considering, until then it can wait.

Thanks for the update. I didn't realize the problems were that serious :( . Hopefully they'll get this resolved pretty soon.

My intentions of posting the TK-II-GS device here was simply predicated on having heard that the 7800XM is coming with an XEGS style keyboard interface, and I thought this would be a perfect fit for such. Then out of curiosity I turned the discussion in the direction of what might become available on the 7800 to support the XM's keyboard connection. I also want Curt to know that because of the Creative Commons license and my blessing to do so, he can make and distribute this with his 7800XM if he so chooses. All of the manufacturing files to do so have been released. Because quite frankly putting a beige XEGS keyboard next to the slick black and brushed metal XM would not be a pretty look.

Anyway if there is a better thread to post and discuss this in, by all means can you please point me to it. That would be much appreciated :) .

On the plus side, I learned a bit more about what GCC was planning to release back in the day. Just too bad that it didn't happen, because that keyboard looks sweet :thumbsup::) .

7800kb-leftside.jpg

Here's wishing for much success with the 7800XM :-D .

• Like 2

Thanks for the update. I didn't realize the problems were that serious :( . Hopefully they'll get this resolved pretty soon.

It is not an update, that is for Curt and the other folks actually involved in the project to give and not me, I just noticed that the last month has been silent after an almost by-the-week communication for the earlier weeks on the last stumbling blocks so either they are readying the big reveal or there's something that still needs attention. Given the history I'd lean for the second option but I do not have any info, maybe Curt can chime in once more and update if he has the time.

• Like 2

My intentions of posting the TK-II-GS device here was simply predicated on having heard that the 7800XM is coming with an XEGS style keyboard interface, and I thought this would be a perfect fit for such. Then out of curiosity I turned the discussion in the direction of what might become available on the 7800 to support the XM's keyboard connection. I also want Curt to know that because of the Creative Commons license and my blessing to do so, he can make and distribute this with his 7800XM if he so chooses. All of the manufacturing files to do so have been released. Because quite frankly putting a beige XEGS keyboard next to the slick black and brushed metal XM would not be a pretty look.

Anyway if there is a better thread to post and discuss this in, by all means can you please point me to it. That would be much appreciated :) .

On the plus side, I learned a bit more about what GCC was planning to release back in the day. Just too bad that it didn't happen, because that keyboard looks sweet :thumbsup::) .

7800kb-leftside.jpg

Here's wishing for much success with the 7800XM :-D .

The keyboard adapter is still very useful for people who may aquire an xegs without the keyboard. I really don't expect a lot of xm software to require a keyboard though. Perhaps as an easier way to input your name or initials for high score saving? :)
  • Like 1

Guys... I'm really late to this. But I think I want one. What exactly is this?

Good intentions, a lot of good will, bad health, quite some bad luck, a partying member, the temper tantrums of the 7800s, a pinch of unobtanium

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173454-7800-expansion-module-xm-hardware-game-details-782016/

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/227889-7800-xm-update/

It seems it may ultimately make it this year.

You could have it by buying a preorder from someone else, when all preorders are satisified then I believe there will be a certain number of units available via AA store.

So considering all that went on in the last 7.5/8 years maybe you are not late at all.

EDIT: crap I missed the actual project page link

http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/expansion/

at the very end of the page it says:

"April 18th Update:

Say hi to the new REV 3.4 XM Motherboard. This is the production ready board that incorporates a major redesign of the entire system literally from the ground up. When compared to the earlier Rev 1.5 and Rev 2.0 boards, this design is an entirely different animal."

NOTE: to be fair I am not sure which year the April 18th update refers to, I am not trying to pull a quick joke, it's just not obvious.

Although I have nothing personally at stake, I too am curious as to how things are going with this project. I know it's not as fun to share things when stuff is in limbo or having problems, but the one thing I discovered to be immensely useful when I was developing the 1088XEL, was to put out the bad with the good. This saved me from innumerable hours of troubleshooting and scratching my head, due to the great feedback and suggestions I received. On one particular occasion, it literally saved the day, and probably even the project when it was pointed out that I had the PIA address lines inverted. Or more correctly Atari had them inverted and mislabeled from the industry standard. If it wasn't for phaeron pointing this out I might not have ever realized what was going on.

• Like 1

The keyboard adapter is still very useful for people who may aquire an xegs without the keyboard. I really don't expect a lot of xm software to require a keyboard though. Perhaps as an easier way to input your name or initials for high score saving? :)

Hmmm... dialing a BBS with a 7800... (drools...) :P

This has all been exciting news. Well done Curt and everyone!

I tried several times and places to find out. I can't find a listing of what this thing does.

It's not really that hard. Do this ...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=atariage+7800XM

... and then click on the second link, which will bring you to this ...

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/173454-7800-expansion-module-xm-hardware-game-details-782016/

• Like 1

The April 18 update does seem to be new (2018) because I remember it being said that due to previous contributors leaving this project we would have to go back to the 2.0 version.

Then something good happened where by they would be able to use all the technology they had planned for the 3.0+ version.

So this announcement of a revision 3.4 XM is very good news indeed.

At the beginning of the project it was stated that the XEGS keyboard would immediately be able to be used to enter high score names, both for original release cartridges that supported it and for new home brew cards that will support it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The software specifically looks at the joystick ports and does the handshake negotiations to communicate to/from the PIC controller (very VERY early 13bit design). I've spoken with the engineer who did the keyboard, he gave me what little notes he had which I posted up many years ago.

I have 7800 BASIC, 7800 Writer and 7800 Typo attack which all use the keyboard, no source code unfortunately. The boards are MONSTERS, I have dumped the ROMs (and each board has its own onboard RAM as well) and perhaps someone could disassemble the code and see if the hooks could be changed, but I don't know how ugly that would be. Could be worth a shot though.

I found some info about this here: http://www.atarimuseum.com/videogames/consoles/7800/7800keyboard.html

This likely means that Curt probably knows the state of affairs concerning this. According to the article, it does look like there was a 7800 Pro Basic written by GCC as well as a Video Writer app that were almost ready for release, but unfortunately that never happened. If whoever is sitting on this stuff could be convinced to release it into the public domain, this would be a very good start to creating something to take advantage of the XM's keyboard capability. Of course the keyboard handler would need to be converted from using the joystick interfaced proprietary keyboard hardware that GCC had developed over to the XM's Pokey based system.

• Like 3

That was actually why I came on now. Yeah, we've been stalled for quite some time, roadblocked on this BIOS situation and Mark has become very busy so he doesn't have time to assist right now, Perry and I are going to pursue things further and see what we can find.

The software specifically looks at the joystick ports and does the handshake negotiations to communicate to/from the PIC controller (very VERY early 13bit design). I've spoken with the engineer who did the keyboard, he gave me what little notes he had which I posted up many years ago.

I have 7800 BASIC, 7800 Writer and 7800 Typo attack which all use the keyboard, no source code unfortunately. The boards are MONSTERS, I have dumped the ROMs (and each board has its own onboard RAM as well) and perhaps someone could disassemble the code and see if the hooks could be changed, but I don't know how ugly that would be. Could be worth a shot though.

Do you have them on your website? I'd love to see them. :)

Really? Cool, let me know when that feature is being added because it was never stated... ;-) What was stated is the XM has a Keyboard port added to it that is XEGS keyboard compatible (and the BIOS has a test program to test the keyboard key inputs) and if coders right new software to support the keyboard they could allow their programs to use it. The high score BIOS uses joystick input to select a letter or character and then you press the fire button to enter it. There would be no way of plugging in an XEGS keyboard into the XM and magically the BIOS would then use the keyboard for high score input. Sorry but unless someone re-writes the High Score BIOS for keyboard usage it won't work that like :-/

The April 18 update does seem to be new (2018) because I remember it being said that due to previous contributors leaving this project we would have to go back to the 2.0 version.

Then something good happened where by they would be able to use all the technology they had planned for the 3.0+ version.

So this announcement of a revision 3.4 XM is very good news indeed.

At the beginning of the project it was stated that the XEGS keyboard would immediately be able to be used to enter high score names, both for original release cartridges that supported it and for new home brew cards that will support it.