Photo

Happy New Year... XM shipping this month

532 replies to this topic

#526 Lynxpro OFFLINE  

Lynxpro

River Patroller

• 3,522 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:43 AM

Thankfully there's no need. It would take a few minutes to create patched BallBlazer and Commando images that use POKEY@450.

Where is the 2nd POKEY on the XBoard mapped to?

#527 Shawn OFFLINE  

Shawn

The Kraken

• 18,202 posts

Posted Yesterday, 3:49 AM

To hell with the XBOARD. It's a joke and next to nobody even has one let alone uses it. If it's not compatible with the XM then tough titties. Use a different 7800 with the XM.

#528 Curt Vendel OFFLINE  

Curt Vendel

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,625 posts

Posted Yesterday, 4:37 AM

Shhhhhzzz...  You're giving away all our best secrets.

If you press U+R, D+L, A+B and hold reset at the test screen then it's automatically downloaded to the XM's internal Flash via WiFi. It works like a charm as long as you have a solid internet connection that isn't using any sort of password protection on your wireless network. If it doesn't work the first time just reset your router.

#529 Curt Vendel OFFLINE  

Curt Vendel

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 4,625 posts

Posted Yesterday, 4:41 AM

Will hopefully throw some video's up in the next day or so.    Been doing a lot of SRAM and HSC testing.    Getting an A0 walking issue for some reason and trying to nail that down, the WE and CS lines are sending out proper signals when probed, just resoldered the DIP socket to make sure no bad joints.   Some weirdness going on the with the HSC and intermittent crashing and failing on extensive loops of the HSC ROM/RAM tests...

So looking into it.

#530 Tidus79001 OFFLINE  

Tidus79001

Star Raider

• 178 posts
  • I will not comply

Posted Yesterday, 6:14 AM

It could use the Pokey and Yamaha simultaneously to recreate that awesome 8-bit arcade rendition of Bach's Toccata in D-Minor:
https://www.youtube....h?v=TNc7VdD-ink

For comparison, the classical organ recital:
https://www.youtube....h?v=ho9rZjlsyYY

Such an inspired tune, and it was brilliant that the programmers at Konami realized how awesome it would be to have this tune accompanying the gameplay in Gyruss. You can't go wrong with either version of the tune, but it is really the NES version that I want to hear the Atari 7800 improve upon with Pokey & TIA.

The NES version is an abomination. No doubt the 7800's MARIA could handle the sprites like the arcade original. Chances are a single YM2151 wouldn't match the arcade original's audio considering Konami packed multiple AY audio chips on the arcade board and used every last one of them to their fullest abilities...

I agree about the graphics. The graphics in the NES version of Gyruss are not as good as the arcaede, or even the Atari 5200 version of the game. What I do like about the NES version of the game is that there you have to traverse the entire solar system and get to the Sun, and that there is a story of compelling you to complete your mission (I always have preferred games with objectives, and stories to reward the player for completing the objectives as opposed to just racking up points). Also I love that there are stage bosses since this adds new challenge to the game, and break up the repetitivness. As for the music I like how they jazzed up the Tocatta and Fugue tune, and added some additional tunes to the game.

Edited by Tidus79001, Yesterday, 6:18 AM.

#531 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,579 posts

Posted Yesterday, 4:00 PM

Where is the 2nd POKEY on the XBoard mapped to?

$0460 thru $046F

#532 Zonie OFFLINE  

Zonie

River Patroller

• 2,057 posts

Posted Yesterday, 9:41 PM

Now we're cooking!

...With GAS!

It could use the Pokey and Yamaha simultaneously to recreate that awesome 8-bit arcade rendition of Bach's Toccata in D-Minor:

For comparison, the classical organ recital:

Ohhh we could only wish for...

#533 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,795 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:08 PM

The NES version is an abomination. No doubt the 7800's MARIA could handle the sprites like the arcade original. Chances are a single YM2151 wouldn't match the arcade original's audio considering Konami packed multiple AY audio chips on the arcade board and used every last one of them to their fullest abilities...

I wouldn't call the NES version an abomination. Sure it lacks a few sprite tiles and aydio channels, but overall makes a great playijng port. I do think a 7800 port would that could make use of both xm sound chips simultaneously would be ideal. Many nes games made faux chords by modulating square channels between notes every other frame. This is similar to sprite flickering as when done smartly it isn't disconcerting, despite having a distinct sonic signature. As long as the pitch on chords is above 120hz, it will work. Use triangle for basslines.

Splitting the pokey and xm by duty cycling multiple channels between notes would broaden the sonic abilities. You already have 8 channels at your disposal. That is if somultaneous usage of both chips is possible...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users