IGNORED

Camel99 Forth Information goes here

TheBF

I tried this in Classic99 from Editor/Assembler and it worked fine until I got a mouse or bit my own tail, then it just hung on the sound effect. Do I need a different runtime environment?

Lee just found the same bug with the 9901 timer again in the latest CLASSiC99.

It works perfectly in the earlier version that I was using, which you fixed for me a while back.

Anywhere in the code that I delay, I am using the 9901. I gave Lee an Experimental build that just polls the random number seed for a change as a 1/60 timer and it works with the latest CLASS99.

I am considering removing the 9901 code to make things easier in the emulator world. :-)

B

It works perfectly in the earlier version that I was using, which you fixed for me a while back.

Anywhere in the code that I delay, I am using the 9901. I gave Lee an Experimental build that just polls the random number seed for a change as a 1/60 timer and it works with the latest CLASS99.

I am considering removing the 9901 code to make things easier in the emulator world. :-)

B

CAMEL99X (latest build) appears to be working. It gets to the cyan screen and blinking cursor. Hitting ‘Enter’ returns ‘ok’. I have not had any time to go further. I will report back later. :)

...lee

Got to My first destination so I checked in.

That's good news for me.

FYI the cyan screen is set in DSK1.START file with VWTR command. Make if what you like.

It turns out that making a millisecond timer by reading >8379 saves 70+ bytes versus using the 9901 and ALC, so I think I will go with the small option and keep 9901 timer in a lib file.

• Like 1

B

I wouldn't remove it. It would be better if the emulators were correct. ;)

Can I see your 9901 code? (/Just/ the 9901 part please.) And it 100% definitely works on hardware?

Lees code and the cassette interface seem to conflict a bit... fixing one breaks the other. But when I fixed cassette I couldn't find Lee's issue to retest that. Your code might be the tiebreaker that fixes my understanding ;)

It does run on hardware, I'm in the process of working out why. I've figured out my Classic99 timer setup bug, and I'm satisfied I finally understand that. But Classic99 never sees an initialization of the timer (as Mizapf detected). I tried causing that to make the clock wrap around to 0x3fff every loop, and that works but the timing is not the same as hardware.

I wrote and ran the attached program on a console fresh from boot (I started it in Easy Bug). It displays two values - the first is the current value of the timer (same as TMR@ code above). The second is the largest timer value read. This program confirms that hardware starting from nothing counts continuously from 0x3FFF down to 0. Now whether it's counting because the reload register defaults to 0x3FFF or it's wrapping around from zero - that I can't tell with this test. But it does show that at powerup the 9901 does not get stuck at zero.

AORG >A000

LIMI 0
	clr r6
	li r7,>2000

LP
	CLR R12
	SBO 0			* enter timer mode
	stcr r5,15		* get timer plus mode
	srl r5,1		* ditch mode
	sbz 0			* timer off

c r5,r6			* save the highest value
	jl j1
	mov r5,r6
j1

clr r0
	movb r0,@>8c02
	movb r0,@>8c02	* VDP address 0 (increments for read)

mov r5,r0
	bl @dig			* print current

movb r7,@>8c00	* space

mov r6,r0
	bl @dig			* print highest

jmp lp

* print a hex value	from r0
dig
	mov r0,r1
	srl r1,12
	movb @hex(r1),@>8c00

mov r0,r1
	srl r1,8
	andi r1,>000f
	movb @hex(r1),@>8c00

mov r0,r1
	srl r1,4
	andi r1,>000f
	movb @hex(r1),@>8c00

mov r0,r1
	andi r1,>000f
	movb @hex(r1),@>8c00

B *R11

hex
    TEXT '0123456789ABCDEF'

END

(To get back on subject - I would propose that there's a bug in SNAKE that never sets the timer to the value you are expecting - if you ran after something else, for instance, after someone tried cassette operations, behaviour is quite different. (I tried this - it hangs even on hardware if you do an OLD CS1 first, then go load it.))

At the same time, you seem to have unveiled a bug in both our emulators. ;)

For my part, I was having trouble understanding exactly when the 9901 was supposed to be reset. I just went through all the 9901 documentation I have again, and summarized it for myself.

The docs say "when any value other than 1 is written"... since we write single bit CRU, I interpreted that to mean any write of a '1' value (even though that seemed weird). But CS1 didn't work unless I reloaded the timer on exit from timer mode - which is what broke in both Forth implementations mentioned. It seems that the documentation means "when the timer reload register is non-zero after any write to it", as even zero writes need to reload the timer. Doing THAT (and changing the default from 0 to 0x3fff) made both cassette and snake work. (edit: but in the end, I went back to the default 0 values in the registers, and just rely on the wraparound to handle the count. We need to measure a real console to see what the default is, unless someone has a data sheet that explicitly says so).

(Edit: Weird speedup was just a debug artifact, went away when I removed the extra debug from Classic99).

Edited by Tursi

(To get back on subject - I would propose that there's a bug in SNAKE that never sets the timer to the value you are expecting - if you ran after something else, for instance, after someone tried cassette operations, behaviour is quite different. (I tried this - it hangs even on hardware if you do an OLD CS1 first, then go load it.))

At the same time, you seem to have unveiled a bug in both our emulators. ;)

For my part, I was having trouble understanding exactly when the 9901 was supposed to be reset. I just went through all the 9901 documentation I have again, and summarized it for myself.

The docs say "when any value other than 1 is written"... since we write single bit CRU, I interpreted that to mean any write of a '1' value (even though that seemed weird). But CS1 didn't work unless I reloaded the timer on exit from timer mode - which is what broke in both Forth implementations mentioned. It seems that the documentation means "when the timer reload register is non-zero after any write to it", as even zero writes need to reload the timer. Doing THAT (and changing the default from 0 to 0x3fff) made both cassette and snake work. (edit: but in the end, I went back to the default 0 values in the registers, and just rely on the wraparound to handle the count. We need to measure a real console to see what the default is, unless someone has a data sheet that explicitly says so).

(Edit: Weird speedup was just a debug artifact, went away when I removed the extra debug from Classic99).

I don't know if this helps, but here is the COLD word that starts Forth and it run TMR! once.

After that I just read the timer twice for a measurement and compare the difference. I only use it for short durations needless to say.

I has been very handy for measuring the time of little code routines to compare what is "really" the faster way to do something right from the Forth console.

The first use is in the word BEEP which hits the sound chip and then waits for 170 mS, using the TMR@ routine in the JIFFS routine.

: COLD       ( -- )
              80 83C2 C!   \ ISR disable flags: >80 All, >40 Motion, >20 Sound, >10 Quit key
              ORGDP @ DP !
              ORGLAST @ LATEST !
              26 TPAD !
              2000 H !                       \ reset the heap
              LATEST CURRENT !               \ use the existing wordlist
              TMR!                           \ set 9901 timer to count continuously
              2 KUNIT# C!                    \ keyboard #2 is the BASIC keyboard
              T['] <INTERPRET> 'INTERPRET !  \ set the interpreter vector
              HEX                            \ set the RADIX to hex
\ VDP start screen
              TEXT BEEP
              TS" CAMEL99G FAST" TYPE
              VDPTOP ^PAB !
              TS" DSK1.START" INCLUDED       \ load the start file
              CR ABORT ;                      \ re-start the interpreter

Edited by TheBF

I don't know if this helps, but here is the COLD word that starts Forth and it run TMR! once.

After that I just read the timer twice for a measurement and compare the difference. I only use it for short durations needless to say.

I has been very handy for measuring the time of little code routines to compare what is "really" the faster way to do something right from the Forth console.

[/code]

I haven't attempted to run Forth, only SNAKE. Snake never sets the timer value. :)

Classic99 is fixed now (though I can't publish a new build yet), it behaves the same as hardware. But I can lock up SNAKE on hardware by going to TI BASIC, typing "OLD CS1", wait for it to timeout. Reset with FCTN-=, go to Editor/Assembler, and run SNAKE, and it will hang when you get something.

(Edit: to explain, cassette sets the timer to roughly 15 - if your difference code expects a bigger delta than that, that's probably why it locks up. Anyway it's just good practice to always initialize any hardware you're using.)

It's not cassette so much that does it, that's just an easy way to make the timer change. Any other program that sets the timer low will do similar.

Anyway, it's not super important since the odds are low that anyone will do it. :)

Edited by Tursi

I owe everyone an apology.

You are of course correct. I was thinking about Lee's lock up problem which does initialize the 9901 timer.

I had also unleashed the snake on the world but as you discovered, when I used the Classic99 Build utility I neglected to have the program setup the timer before the game runs.

It jumps right into game code and does not run the COLD routine. Duh!

I gave you wrong information, but you found the truth of the matter anyway.

Very sorry to have sent you down that rabbit snake hole :woozy:

However the timer issue on booting Camel Forth that uses a hardware timer was a valid hunting expedition.

I may still revert to an "interrupt based/poll a memory location" timer for the sake of 70 bytes saved and simplicity.

That way if I or anyone else uses the hardware timer from a library they more likely to think about loading it first. :)

Thanks again Tursi and Mizapf for your diligence.

(I will re-built the snake program correcting the error of my ways. and edit the earlier post

I will also make an "autostart" function that will combine initializing everything and setting the boot address into one command.)

Murphy's law, sub-section 5:

"It's impossible to make anything idiot proof, because idiots are too ingenious" (I'm living proof) :-D

• Like 2

Who knew the BL instruction was so handy?

After discovering how to do direct threaded code with the help of the BL instruction I was looking at the old ITC code and I found a way to improve the CREATE DOES> structure of ITC Forth.
It saves space and cycles.

Using BL to jump to DODOES routine means that the R11 register automatically contains the new IP address that Forth needs to be at to continue running.
Previously I had used BRANCH which meant that I needed to move the IP address manually.

\ =======================================================================
\ D O E S   S U P P O R T
: (;CODE)
         R>                     \ pop the addr of the code word
        LATEST @ NFA>CFA        \ get the CFA of the latest word
         !  ;                   \ store the machine code address in the Code Field

: DOES>  ( -- )                 \ change action of latest def'n
        COMPILE (;CODE)
        06A0 , ['] DODOES ,    \ compiles machine code for:  BL @DODOES
       ; IMMEDIATE

\ Using BL means R11 automatically computes the new IP (IP+4)
 CODE: DODOES  ( -- a-addr)
              TOS PUSH,       \ save TOS reg on data stack
              W TOS MOV,      \ put defined word's PFA in TOS
              IP RPUSH,       \ push old IP onto return stack
              R11 IP MOV,
              NEXT,
              END-CODE
  • Like 3

The 9900 instruction set is soooo good

I am doing research on creating a native code compiler for Forth source code.

Here is the x86 code for Swift Forth (commercial Forth compiler) to implement the Forth '+!' operation. ( adds n to the contents of a memory location)

EBX is a cache for the top of stack value in this implementation.

EBP is the Forth DATA stack pointer.

( The x86 stack is used as the return stack in this implementation)

code +!
2EBF   0 [EBP] EAX MOV    \ get 2nd stack item into EAX
2EC2   EAX 0 [EBX] ADD    \ Add EAX to *EBX
2EC4   4 [EBP] EBX MOV    \ pop the next 32bit stack value into EBX 
2EC7   8 # EBP ADD        \ adjust the stack pointer
2ECA   RET

And here is how I implemented it in 9900 Forth Assembler. (TOS is alias for R4, the top of stack cache for this implementation)

CODE: +!     ( n addr --)
             *SP+ *TOS ADD, 
             *SP+  TOS MOV,     \ refill TOS register from stack 
              NEXT,           
              END-CODE      

Granted the x86 does things much faster :) but 9900 code is so expressive and concise.

Regarding TOS

I have undoubtedly missed something already handled in this thread, but

• What is the meaning of TOS when the stack is empty?
  • Presuming n and addr are the only items on the stack in the code for +! in your post above, what happens to SP and TOS in the “refill TOS register from stack” instruction? It would appear that SP is pointing under the stack and that TOS is meaningless.

...lee

This is the complexity of maintaining a TOS in a register.

We always need to pop the contents of the top item of the actual stack into the cache even if it's garbage.

if the SP register goes below the bottom it doesn't matter because we don't access that. We use the cache register.

You would have to follow the primitives in my system to believe it works ?

Using VDP Memory for Text Intensive programs

I was examining a way to make text games in Forth. Oregon Trail was my inspiration to be honest.
Forth takes 8K of the upper 24K leaving about 15.5K after adding a few utilities.

An interesting text game can use a lot of strings and I had 10K of empty VDP memory just sitting there.

Wouldn't it be great if my programming language had an easy way to print text from the VDP memory as easily as from CPU RAM.
Well... you can teach Forth how to do it.

Forth's text print word is called "dot-quote" and is nice and short like this: ." Print this text"

So here we create V." (VDP dot quote)

INCLUDE DSK1.VDPMEM   \ VDP memory manager lexicon

DECIMAL
\ compile stack string into VDP memory
: VS,     ( $adr len-- )  VHERE OVER CHAR+  VALLOT VPLACE ;

\ convert a VDP counted string to a stack string
: VCOUNT  ( vdp$adr -- vdpadr len ) DUP 1+ SWAP VC@ ;

\ Print a VDP stack string
: VTYPE   ( vdp_addr len -- ) BOUNDS ?DO   I VC@ EMIT   LOOP ;

\ Compile a VDP string, that types itself
: V."          ( -- )
        VHERE                \ get the next available VDP memory location
        [CHAR] " PARSE VS,   \ compile a string to VDP mem.
        POSTPONE LITERAL     \ compile VHERE as a literal number
        POSTPONE VCOUNT      \ get the length and first char address
        POSTPONE VTYPE ;     \ Type the string from VDP memory.
IMMEDIATE

And here is how you use V." in a program:

: MENU   PAGE
         CR V." *** Main Menu ****"
         CR
         CR V." 1. DO Nothing"
         CR V." 2. DO Something"
         CR V." 3. Change your mind"
         CR  ;

So while the code is still in CPU RAM, the text automagically goes into VDP ram as text with the first byte as the string length.

• Like 2

I spent a long time playing around with creating a text game lexicon for Forth to try and make a for of Oregon Trail by Majestyx.
It is way harder to make these games than I imagined but I did get some things started.

This code uses about 3200 bytes of VDP memory for strings and about 15.9K bytes of CPU RAM for the Forth code.

This includes 8k for Forth compiler and 900 bytes or so for the debugging tools. So the game is about 7K.

Using a vector table creator It was pretty simple to make random phrase generators. By using the :NONAME word in Forth I didn't have to take up space with word names either if I didn't want to. This could be condensed into a nicer syntax with a little more work.

I also liked using the %CHANCE ;CHANCE words to control the game flow. :)

25 %CHANCE:  SHITHAPPENS  ;CHANCE
    15 %CHANCE:  HAPPYDAYS    ;CHANCE

These make it very easy to modify in the game if it seems to easy or too hard.

It's not done yet and I have a lot more respect for everybody who does these things.

Even with Oregon Trail as an example it is challenging to make something good.

The spoiler will run if run INITS first and then type GAME, but it is not a game yet. Just a test platform.

Warning: CAMEL99, CAMEL99G binaries bomb on the latest CLASSIC99. I am using an old version for now.

\ ORGEGON TRAIL BY  majestyx on Atariage
\ RE-WRITE for  CAMEL99 Forth for demonstration of
\ making a game specific language
\ Brian Fox May 13, 2019

INCLUDE DSK1.TOOLS
INCLUDE DSK1.RANDOM
INCLUDE DSK1.INPUT
INCLUDE DSK1.FASTCASE
INCLUDE DSK1.CASE
INCLUDE DSK1.ENUM
INCLUDE DSK1.VDPMEM

\ ====================================================
\ VDP string support
\ compile stack string into VDP memory
: VS,     ( $adr len-- )  VHERE OVER CHAR+  VALLOT VPLACE ;

\ convert a VDP counted string to a stack string (in DSK1.VDPMEM)
\ : VCOUNT  ( vdp$adr -- vdpadr len ) DUP 1+ SWAP VC@ ;

\ Print a VDP stack string
: VTYPE   ( vdp_addr len -- ) BOUNDS ?DO   I VC@ EMIT   LOOP ;

\ Compile a VDP string, that types itself
: V."   ( <tex> )
        ?COMP                 \ for compiling only
        VHERE
        [CHAR] " PARSE VS,
        POSTPONE LITERAL
        POSTPONE VCOUNT
        POSTPONE VTYPE ; IMMEDIATE

: PRINT."  POSTPONE CR  POSTPONE V." ; IMMEDIATE

\ =========================================
\ G A M E  L A N G U A G E

DECIMAL
: CHOICES,  ( addr... addr[n] n -- ) 0 ?DO , LOOP ;  \ compile addresses

: 3RD     ( a b c -- a b c a ) 2 PICK ;  \ get a copy of 3rd item on the stack

\ text game language extensions
: BETWEEN ( n lo hi -- ?) 1+ WITHIN ;

: %CHANCE: ( n -- ? )  S" 100 RND > IF" EVALUATE ; IMMEDIATE
: ;CHANCE  POSTPONE THEN ; IMMEDIATE

: ENDIF    POSTPONE THEN ; IMMEDIATE

\ read #input into a variable and test for limits
: VALID-INPUT ( variable  lo  hi  -- n )
          BEGIN
             3RD DUP #INPUT
             @ 3RD 3RD BETWEEN  \ fetch from variable, check limits
          UNTIL
          2DROP @ ;  \  drop limits, fetch variable value

HEX
: TOUPPER  ( c -- c') 5F AND ;

DECIMAL
: Y/N?    ( -- ?) PRINT." Y/N?"  KEY TOUPPER [CHAR] Y = ;  \ true if Y pressed

: .R      ( n width -- )  \ print n right justified
          >R DUP ABS 0 <# #S ROT SIGN #> R> OVER - SPACES  TYPE SPACE ;

: DEBIT     ( n variable -- )  SWAP NEGATE SWAP +! ;
: CREDIT    ( n variable -- ) +! ;

\ set screen color with black letters
HEX
: CYAN   ( -- ) 17 7 VWTR ;
: GREEN  ( -- ) 13 7 VWTR ;
: YELLOW ( -- ) 1B 7 VWTR ;

DECIMAL
: ROLL-DICE  ( -- n ) 12 RND 1+ ;  \ Random # 1..12

\ random delay with dot printing
: ...  ( n -- ) 9 RND CELL+  0 ?DO  [CHAR] . EMIT  250 MS   LOOP ;

\ ==============================================
\ ==============================================
\ O R E G O N   C O D E   S T A R T S   H E R E

DECIMAL
\ game data
 700 CONSTANT BUDGET
1847 CONSTANT YEAR

VARIABLE TEMP
VARIABLE ACCURACY
VARIABLE TOTAL

\ status variables for the traveller
VARIABLE HEALTH
VARIABLE OXEN  ( HEALTH)
VARIABLE OXEN#  ( normally 2)
VARIABLE FOOD
VARIABLE QUALITY
VARIABLE AMMO
VARIABLE CLOTHES
VARIABLE MISC
VARIABLE CASH
VARIABLE WOUNDED

VARIABLE ACTION
VARIABLE MILEAGE
VARIABLE DAY
VARIABLE MONTH

0 ENUM SUN
  ENUM MON
  ENUM TUE
  ENUM WED
  ENUM THU
  ENUM FRI
  ENUM SAT
DROP

1 ENUM JAN
  ENUM FEB
  ENUM MAR
  ENUM APR
  ENUM MAY
  ENUM JUN
  ENUM JUL
  ENUM AUG
  ENUM SEP
  ENUM OCT
  ENUM NOV
  ENUM DEC
DROP

: DEBIT-TOTAL   ( n -- ) TOTAL DEBIT ;
: CREDIT-TOTAL  ( n -- ) TOTAL CREDIT ;

\ days print themselves
: .MON     V." Monday" ;      : .TUE    V." Tuesday" ;
: .WED     V." Wednesday" ;   : .THU    V." Thursday" ;
: .FRI     V." Friday" ;      : .SAT    V." Saturday" ;
: .SUN     V." Sunday" ;

\ a table of execution addresses of days
CASE: DAYS  ( n -- )
            | .SUN | .MON | .TUE | .WED
            | .THU | .FRI | .SAT
;CASE

\ Months print themselves
: MTH1    V." January" ;      : MTH7    V." July" ;
: MTH2    V." February" ;     : MTH8    V." August" ;
: MTH3    V." March" ;        : MTH9    V." September" ;
: MTH4    V." April"  ;       : MTH10   V." October" ;
: MTH5    V." May" ;          : MTH11   V." November" ;
: MTH6    V." June" ;         : MTH12   V." December" ;

CASE: MONTHS ( n -- )
     | MTH1 | MTH2  | MTH3  | MTH4
     | MTH5 | MTH6  | MTH7  | MTH8
     | MTH9 | MTH10 | MTH11 | MTH12
;CASE

: ","   [CHAR] , EMIT ;
: "-"   [CHAR] - EMIT ;

: .DATE  ( -- )
       "-" DAY @ DAYS "-" SPACE
       MONTH @ MONTHS SPACE
       DAY @ . "," SPACE
       YEAR . ;

: >$<    ( -- n ) [CHAR] $ HOLD ;
: >.<    ( -- n ) [CHAR] . HOLD ;
: '00'    [CHAR] 0 DUP HOLD HOLD ;

: DOLLARS ( n -- )
         DUP ABS 0  <# '00' >.< #S >$< ROT SIGN #> TYPE SPACE ;

: .BALANCE   PRINT." YOU HAVE "  TOTAL @ DOLLARS V." left";

: GET_ACCURACY ( -- )
          PRINT."  How well can you shoot?"
          PRINT."  (1) BEST"
          PRINT."  (2) GOOD"
          PRINT."  (3) FAIR"
          PRINT."  (4) Not sure..."
          PRINT."  (5) BAD"
          PRINT."  (1..5) : "
          ACCURACY  1 5 VALID-INPUT 25 * ACCURACY !  ;

: TEAM    ( -- )
          CR
          PRINT." How much do you want to spend"
          PRINT." on your team of oxen? ($200-$300)"
          OXEN 200 300 VALID-INPUT ;

: GETFOOD  ( -- ) PRINT."  ON FOOD "            FOOD  0 TOTAL @ VALID-INPUT ;
: GETAMMO  ( -- ) PRINT."  ON AMMUNITION "      AMMO  0 TOTAL @ VALID-INPUT ;
: CLOTHING ( -- ) PRINT."  ON CLOTHING "     CLOTHES  0 TOTAL @ VALID-INPUT ;
: GETMISC  ( -- ) PRINT."  ON MISC. SUPPLIES "  MISC  0 TOTAL @ VALID-INPUT ;

: .SUPPLIES CR
         PRINT."  -- Supplies Report--
         PRINT."  FOOD          :   "  FOOD    @ DOLLARS
         PRINT."  BULLETS       :   "  AMMO    @ DOLLARS
         PRINT."  CLOTHING      :   "  CLOTHES @ DOLLARS
         PRINT."  MISC. SUPPLIES:   "  MISC    @ DOLLARS
         PRINT."  CASH          :   "  CASH    @ DOLLARS
         PRINT."  Health is     :   "  HEALTH ?
         CR
;

: BUYSTUFF
          PRINT."  Let's get you set you for the trip:"
          TEAM     DEBIT-TOTAL .BALANCE
          GETFOOD  DEBIT-TOTAL .BALANCE
          GETAMMO  DEBIT-TOTAL .BALANCE
          CLOTHING DEBIT-TOTAL .BALANCE
          GETMISC  DEBIT-TOTAL .BALANCE
          TOTAL @ CASH !
;

: SETUP   PRINT."  Your budget for the trip is: " BUDGET DOLLARS
          BUDGET TOTAL !
          GET_ACCURACY
          BUYSTUFF
          .SUPPLIES
          100 HEALTH !
          WOUNDED OFF
;

\ =====================================================
\ End of game message
: SORRY  CR
         PRINT."  We are sorry. You didn't make it"
         PRINT."  to the great territory of Oregon."
         PRINT."  We will notify yer kinfolk."
         CR
         PRINT."  - Sincerely"
         CR
         PRINT."           The Oregon"
         PRINT."      -Chamber of Commerce-"
         HEALTH OFF
         CR QUIT ;

: CONGRATS
         PAGE
         PRINT." ************************"
         PRINT." President James K. Polk"
         PRINT." sends you his heartiest"
         PRINT." congratulations,"
         CR
         PRINT." He wishes you a prosperous life"
         PRINT." at your new home."
         CR
         PRINT." Press a key to end" KEY DROP
         CYAN  QUIT ;

: ?DEAD
         HEALTH @ 1 <
         IF  ...
            PRINT." You died."  1000 MS
            CR .DATE
            CR
            SORRY
        ENDIF ;

: SEE-DOCTOR
         CR  ...
         PRINT." The doc wants " 40 RND 10 +  DUP DOLLARS
         PRINT." to patch you up."
         DUP CASH @ >
         IF
            PRINT." You cain't afford it partner!"
            20 RND 5 + HEALTH DEBIT
            DROP
         ELSE
            ( rnd) CASH DEBIT
            PRINT." You got enough money."
            PRINT." He's good with the needle & thread"
               10 HEALTH CREDIT
         ENDIF
         ?DEAD
;

\ ====================================================
\ random sickness selector
:NONAME  V." Pneumonia"      30 HEALTH DEBIT ;
:NONAME  V." Typhoid fever"  23 HEALTH DEBIT ;
:NONAME  V." Swine Flu"      10 HEALTH DEBIT ;
:NONAME  V." Consumption"    20 HEALTH DEBIT ;
:NONAME  V." Scurvy"         15 HEALTH DEBIT ;
:NONAME  V." Infection"      20 HEALTH DEBIT ;
:NONAME  V." smallpox"       40 HEALTH DEBIT ;

CASE: DISEASES  6 CHOICES,  ;CASE

: SICKNESS     6 RND DISEASES ;

\ =====================================================
\ BAD luck
: STARVED
         PRINT."  You ran out of food and"
         PRINT."  starved to death"
         HEALTH OFF
         SORRY ;

: SNAKEBITE
         PRINT." You die of snakebite since"
         PRINT." you have no medicine"
         HEALTH OFF
         SORRY ;

: MASSACRE
          PRINT." You were attacked and"
          PRINT." massacred by criminals"
          HEALTH OFF
          SORRY ;

: TOOLONG
          PRINT."  You have been on the trail to long --"
          PRINT."  your family died in the first blizzard"
          PRINT."  of winter"
          HEALTH OFF
          SORRY ;

: NOMEDICINE
          CR
          PRINT."  You ran out of medical supplies"
          PRINT."  and died of "  ...
          WOUNDED @
          IF   V."  your injuries"
          ELSE SICKNESS
          ENDIF HEALTH OFF SORRY ;

: BANDITS
           PRINT."  Bandits Attacked!" HONK CR
           30 %CHANCE:
              PRINT."  You ran out of bullets--"
              PRINT."  They got lots of yer cash"
              50 RND CASH DEBIT
              AMMO OFF
           ;CHANCE

20 %CHANCE:
                PRINT." and... they took one of your oxen"
                1 OXEN# DEBIT
           ;CHANCE

10 %CHANCE:  WOUNDED ON ;CHANCE
;

: VERYSICK
          PRINT." Partner you is looking sickly."
          PRINT." The DOC says you got the " SICKNESS
          PRINT." STOP FOR MEDICAL ATTENTION"
          SEE-DOCTOR
          CR
          50 %CHANCE:
               PRINT." Hey you pulled through!"
               10 HEALTH CREDIT
          ELSE
              PRINT." I got some bad news partner" ...
              HEALTH OFF
          ;CHANCE
          ?DEAD
 ;

\ =========================================
 :NONAME  V." wheel" ;
 :NONAME  V." axle" ;
 :NONAME  V." yoke" ;
 :NONAME  V." whipple-tree" ;
 :NONAME  V." seat" ;
 CASE: PARTS  5 CHOICES,   ;CASE

: PART   5 RND PARTS  ;

: BUSTED-WAGON
          PRINT." Yer wagon gots a busted " PART
          PRINT." It's gonna take some time to fix 'er up!"
          PRINT." That'll cost ya "  5 RND 1+ DUP DOLLARS  CASH DEBIT
          8 MISC DEBIT
 ;

CASE: TRAGEDY
       | SNAKEBITE  | MASSACRE  | TOOLONG
       | NOMEDICINE | BANDITS    | VERYSICK  | BUSTED-WAGON
;CASE

: SHITHAPPENS
        CR ...
        PRINT." Tragegy has struck!"
        CR
        7 RND TRAGEDY ;

: ?BROKE  CASH @ 0=
          IF  PRINT." Partner, yer flat broke!"  ENDIF ;

:NONAME V." leg"    7 HEALTH DEBIT  ;
:NONAME V." arm"    5 HEALTH DEBIT  ;
:NONAME V." belly"  10 HEALTH DEBIT ;

:NONAME V." backside :-)
        PRINT." (sorry, not funny)"  8 HEALTH DEBIT ;

:NONAME V." head..."  HEALTH OFF ?DEAD SORRY ;
CASE: ANATOMY   4 CHOICES,   ;CASE

: BODYPART    4 RND ANATOMY ;

: ?SEE-DOCTOR
     CR
     PRINT." Wanna have a doc look at you?"
     Y/N?
     IF
       SEE-DOCTOR
       60 %CHANCE:
            PRINT." He patched you up!"
            10 RND HEALTH CREDIT
            WOUNDED OFF
       ELSE PRINT." He fixed it but yer still hurtin'"
            WOUNDED OFF
           10 HEALTH DEBIT
      ;CHANCE
     ENDIF ;

: GOTSHOT
          PRINT." OUCH! You got shot in the " BODYPART
          5 RND MISC DEBIT
          20 RND 2+ AMMO DEBIT

45 %CHANCE:
             PRINT." and they took one of your oxen."
             1 OXEN DEBIT
          ;CHANCE

?SEE-DOCTOR
          ?DEAD
;

: ?GOTSHOT
         WOUNDED @ IF  GOTSHOT  ENDIF ;

: WANNAEAT  ( -- n)
          CR
          PRINT." How do you wanna eat?"
          PRINT."   (1) POORLY"
          PRINT."   (2) OK"
          PRINT."   (3) WELL? "
          QUALITY 1 3 VALID-INPUT
;

: RUNNING   PRINT." You are running away"
            67 RND 1+ MILEAGE CREDIT
            10 RND HEALTH DEBIT
            20 OXEN DEBIT
            2 RND DAY CREDIT
            1 RND MONTH CREDIT

25 %CHANCE: WOUNDED ON ;CHANCE
;

: ATTACK    PRINT."  You are attacking " ...
            55 %CHANCE:
               WOUNDED ON
            ELSE
               PRINT." You scared them off!"
               PRINT." and found their money and food"
               CR
               60 RND 10 FOOD CREDIT
              120 RND 30 CASH CREDIT
               15 RND HEALTH CREDIT
           ;CHANCE
;

: CONTINUE  CR
            PRINT."  Continuing " ...
            20 RND 1+ MILEAGE CREDIT
            2 RND HEALTH DEBIT
            10 OXEN DEBIT
            1 RND DAY CREDIT
            40 %CHANCE: WOUNDED ON ;CHANCE
;

: DEFEND    PRINT." We circled the wagons" ...
            PRINT." and let 'em have it!" ...
            20 RND 2+ AMMO DEBIT
            AMMO @ 0< IF  MASSACRE  ENDIF

65 %CHANCE:
               CR
               PRINT." You are a pretty good shot!"
               PRINT." They took off and left us alone"
               CR
            ELSE
               CR
               PRINT." We took some hits but survived"
               20 RND AMMO DEBIT
               10 HEALTH DEBIT
               30 %CHANCE: WOUNDED ON  ;CHANCE
            ;CHANCE
;

CASE: REACTION  ( n -- )
       | RUNNING | ATTACK  | CONTINUE  | DEFEND
;CASE

: HOSTILE-DECIDE ( -- )
         PRINT." They look hostile!"
         PRINT." Whaddya reckon we should do?"
         PRINT."   (1) RUN"
         PRINT."   (2) ATTACK"
         PRINT."   (3) CONTINUE"
         PRINT."   (4) DEFEND"
         ACTION 1 4 VALID-INPUT DROP
         CR ...
         ACTION @ 1- REACTION
         ?GOTSHOT
;

\ ======================================
\ random names for food
:NONAME V." eatin'" ;
:NONAME V." food" ;
:NONAME V." viddles" ;
:NONAME V." grub" ;
CASE: FOODS  4 CHOICES,  ;CASE
: FOODSTUFF  4 RND FOODS ;

\ ======================================
\ game animals
:NONAME V." deer"     100 FOOD CREDIT
        PRINT." We got food for days!"
        CR ;

:NONAME V." possum"    10 FOOD CREDIT
        PRINT." Ain't much food but better than nothin'"
        CR ;

:NONAME V." squirrel"  5 FOOD CREDIT
        PRINT." We is gonna be hungry"
        CR ;

:NONAME V." duck"      15 FOOD CREDIT
        PRINT." A little greasy, but fillin'"
        CR ;

:NONAME V." turkey"    25 FOOD CREDIT
        PRINT." Now that's some good viddles"
        CR ;

CASE: VARMINTS 5 CHOICES, ;CASE
: ANIMAL    5 RND VARMINTS ;

: HUNT
        PRINT." You are hunting" ...
        PRINT." Be vaarrwee quiet " ...
        PRINT." BANG!"
        55 %CHANCE:
           PRINT." You shot a " ANIMAL
           3 AMMO DEBIT
        ELSE
           PRINT." You missed."
           PRINT." Yer gonna be hungry tonight." ...
           10 FOOD DEBIT
            5 HEALTH DEBIT
       ;CHANCE
;

20 CASH !
: .CASH    V." You have " CASH @ DOLLARS V." cash" ;

: BUYFOOD
         PRINT." How much do you want to spend?"
         CR .CASH
         TEMP 1 CASH @ VALID-INPUT
         DUP CASH DEBIT  FOOD CREDIT
         CR .CASH V." left"
;

\ ================================================
\ status testers begin with a ?

: ?FOOD  \ test if we have enough Food points left
          FOOD @ 1 < IF   STARVED  ENDIF
          FOOD @ 10 <
          IF
              PRINT." You need to do some hunting or by some food!!!"
              PRINT." 1. Hunt"
              PRINT." 2. Buy Food"
              PRINT." Enter to go on"
              CR KEY
              CASE
                  [CHAR] 1 OF HUNT    ENDOF
                  [CHAR] 2 OF BUYFOOD  ENDOF
              ENDCASE
          ENDIF ;

: ?HEALTH
        WOUNDED @ IF  SEE-DOCTOR   ENDIF
        HEALTH  @ 10 <
        IF CR
           PRINT." You don't look so good partner."
           PRINT." Wanna see a doctor?"
           Y/N?
           IF    SEE-DOCTOR
           ELSE  PRINT." Ok, it's yer funeral."
           ENDIF
        ENDIF
;

: ?TIMEOUT   DAY @ 30 > IF TOOLONG  ENDIF ;

: HAPPYDAYS
      CR
      PRINT." You bumped into friendly Haida people."
      PRINT." They gave you fresh food"
      PRINT." and fed your animals!"
      20 FOOD CREDIT
      40 OXEN CREDIT
      5 HEALTH CREDIT
;

: AreWeThereYet?
         MILEAGE @ 300 >
         IF
            CONGRATS
         THEN
         PRINT." We travelled "  MILEAGE ? V." miles.";

: CONSUME  \  things are used up every day
      10 RND HEALTH DEBIT
      40 RND 20 + OXEN DEBIT
      10 RND  FOOD DEBIT
      10 RND CLOTHES DEBIT
      10 RND MISC DEBIT
;

: ?OXEN
         OXEN @ 10 <
         IF  PRINT." Yer oxen are almost dead!"
             PRINT." Wanna stop for grazing"
             Y/N?
             IF ...
                48 %CHANCE:
                   CR PRINT." Uhoh, we got company!"
                   HOSTILE-DECIDE
                ELSE
                   ROLL-DICE 5 * OXEN CREDIT
                   PRINT." Oxen are now worth" OXEN @ DOLLARS
                   CR
               ;CHANCE

ENDIF
        ENDIF
;

: OPENING
         TEXT
         YELLOW
         PRINT."  Oregon Trail"
         PRINT."  The game that time forgot" CR
         SETUP
         PRINT."  -- You're on the trail... -- "
         12 RND 1+ MONTH !
         1 DAY !
         CR .DATE ...
;

: .DAY    PRINT." It's day " DAY @ . ;

: GAME
    BEGIN
      .DAY
      PRINT." Press a key to go on"  KEY DROP .S
      ?TERMINAL  ABORT" emergency stop"
      1 DAY CREDIT  ?TIMEOUT
      CONSUME
      ?HEALTH  ?FOOD ?OXEN ?BROKE

OXEN# @ 20 RND *  2+  MILEAGE CREDIT ( travel faster with 2 oxen)
      AreWeThereYet?

25 %CHANCE:  SHITHAPPENS  ;CHANCE
      15 %CHANCE:  HAPPYDAYS    ;CHANCE
      ?GOTSHOT
      .SUPPLIES
   AGAIN
;

: INITS
    1 DAY !
    100 CASH !
    100 AMMO !
    250 OXEN !
    2 OXEN# !
    100 CLOTHES !
    100 MISC !
    100 FOOD !
    100 HEALTH !
    MILEAGE OFF
    .SUPPLIES ;

Edited by TheBF

Forth VM versus TMS9900

As I begin to create some support files to make a native code generating cross compiler it is interesting to see how many instructions it takes to replicate Forth's virtual machine instructions. I this code the PUSH, macro is 2 9900 instructions and the POP, macros are only 1. I am using R4 like an accumulator which under-utilizes the 9900 register set but "make it work then make it better" is my motto.

\ MACHINE FORTH PRIMITIVES

\   *WARNING*  ALL THESE PRIMITIVES COMPILE INLINE CODE **
\ ==========================================================================
CR .( INLINE PRIMITIVES )
HEX

CROSS-COMPILING

\ The macros will compile inline code

: !       ( n addr -- )
             *SP+ *TOS MOV,
              TOS POP,
              ;

: @       ( a -- w )                   \ vars return an address to the compiler
            *TOS TOS MOV,
             ;

: C@      ( addr -- c )
            *TOS TOS MOVB,
             TOS 8 SRL,
             ;

: +!      ( n addr --)
             *SP+ *TOS ADD,
              TOS POP,
              ;

\ increment/decrement a memory address that is in TOS
: 1+!       *TOS INC,  TOS POP, ;
: 2+!       *TOS INCT, TOS POP, ;
: 1-!       *TOS DEC,  TOS POP, ;
: 2-!       *TOS DECT, TOS POP, ;

\ ===================================================================
CR .( DATA STACK)

: SP@       ( -- a )
              TOS PUSH,
              SP TOS MOV,
              ;

: SP!       ( a -- )
              TOS SP MOV,
              TOS POP,
              ;

: DROP      ( w -- )
              TOS POP,
              ;

: NIP       ( n n' -- n')
              SP++
              ;

: DUP       ( w -- w w )
             TOS PUSH,
             ;

: ?DUP      ( x -- 0 | x x)
              TOS TOS MOV,
              2 +$$ JNE,
              TOS PUSH,
              ;

: OVER      ( w1 w2 -- w1 w2 w1 )
              TOS PUSH,
              2 (SP) TOS MOV,
              ;

: SWAP      ( w1 w2 -- w2 w1 )
              TOS   W MOV,
             *SP  TOS MOV,
              W   *SP MOV,
              ;

: ROT       ( n1 n2 n3 --  n2 n3 n1)
              2 (SP)    W MOV,
             *SP   2 (SP) MOV,
              TOS     *SP MOV,
              W       TOS MOV,
              ;

: SWPB      ( n -- n )
              TOS SWPB,
              ;

: 2DROP     ( n n -- )
              SP INCT,
              TOS POP,
              ;

\ ==========================================================================
CR .( RETURN STACK inline code)

: RP@       ( -- a )
              TOS PUSH,
              RP TOS MOV,
              ;

: RP!       ( a -- )
              TOS RP MOV,
              TOS POP,
              ;

: >R        ( w -- )
              TOS RPUSH,            \ 28
              TOS POP,              \ 22
              ;

: R>        ( -- w )
              TOS PUSH,             \ 28
             *RP+ TOS MOV,          \ 22
              ;

: R@        ( -- w )
              TOS PUSH,
             *RP TOS MOV,
              ;

: RDROP     ( -- )
             RP INCT, 
             ;

CR .( Inline ARITHMETIC operations)

\ simple math is 40% faster with TOS in register vs on stack

: 1+      ( n -- n)
              TOS INC,
              ;

: 1-      ( n -- n)
              TOS DEC,
              ;

: 2+      ( n -- n)
              TOS INCT,
              ;

: 2-      ( n -- n)
              TOS DECT,
              ;

: 2*      ( n -- n)
              TOS TOS ADD,           \ MPY instruction is 52 clocks minimum
              ;

: 2/      ( n -- n)                  \ DIV instruction is 52 clocks minimum
              TOS 1 SRA,
              ;

: INVERT  ( w w -- w)
              TOS INV,
              ;

: ABS      ( n -- n )
              TOS ABS,
              ;

: NEGATE ( n -- n )
              TOS NEG,
              ;

: +       ( u1 u2 -- u')
             *SP+ TOS ADD,
              ;

: -       ( u1 u2 -- u')
             *SP+ TOS SUB,
              TOS NEG,               \ sign is wrong when subtracting a register from memory
              ;

: UM*     ( n n -- d)                \ 2 cells input -- 2 cells output
             *SP  TOS MPY,
              R5  *SP MOV,
              ;

: *      ( n n -- n)
             *SP+ R3 MOV,
              TOS R3 MPY,
              ;

CR .( Variable ON OFF)

: ON      ( adr -- )
             *TOS SETO,
              TOS POP,
              ;

: OFF     ( adr -- )
             *TOS CLR,
              TOS POP,
              ;
\ ====================================================================
\ boolean operators

: AND     ( w w -- w )
             *SP INV,
             *SP+ TOS SZC,
              ;

: OR      ( w w -- w )
             *SP+ TOS OR,
              ;

: XOR     ( w w -- w )
             *SP+ TOS XOR,
              ;

SUB: (M+)      ( d n -- d )   \ add single to double, returning a double
              TOS  2 (SP) ADD,
              OC IF,
                 *SP INC,
              ENDIF,
             *SP+ TOS MOV,    \ 12 bytes
              RET,
              END-SUB

: M+      ( d n -- d )
  \           NEEDS (M+)       \ conditionally compile sub-routine
             (M+) @@ BL, ;    \ 4 bytes if called more than once

: BYE    ( -- )
              0 LIMI,
              0000 @@ BLWP,
              ;

\ comparison is always done with TOS and NOS (next on stack)

SUB: (=)    ( n n -- ?)
      *SP+ TOS CMP,          \ 10 bytes
       EQ IF, TOS CLR,
       ELSE,  TOS SETO,
       ENDIF,
       RET,
       END-SUB

SUB: (U>)   ( n n -- ? )
      *SP+ TOS CMP,
       HI IF, TOS CLR,
       ELSE,  TOS SETO,
       ENDIF,
       RET,
       END-SUB

SUB: (0=)  ( n -- ? )
       TOS TOS CMP,
       NE IF, TOS CLR,
       ELSE,  TOS SET0,
       ENDIF,
       RET,
       END-SUB

: =     (=) @@ BL, ;
: U>    (U> @@ BL, ;
: 0=    (O=) @@ BL, ;

Adding VALIDATE to Forth

The ACCEPT statement in Extended BASIC has a very nice feature with the VALIDATE extension.

ACCEPT VALIDATE("YN"): R$

In the course of trying to write an "Oregon Trail" game I need a way to VALIDATE key entries for the main menu.

Many modern Forth systems have a routine called SCAN.

SCAN takes a stack string (addr,len pair) and character for inputs and returns the address and len (1) of the the character in the string.

As it turns out this is very handy for creating a VALIDATE function in Forth:

: VALIDATE ( char addr$ len -- ?)  \ returns 1 or false (0)
           ROT SCAN  NIP ;    \ NIP removes the address leaving only the count

Then to create a validating KEY reader we put it all in a little loop.

: MENU-KEY ( -- char)
         BEGIN
            KEY  DUP S" 1234X" VALIDATE
         0= WHILE         \ while VALIDATE is 0
            DROP          \ drop the bad char
         REPEAT ;
Edited by TheBF

I worked over the TMS9901 implementation in MAME, and I changed it to work as in the real machine, that is, your counter program is running in MAME now.

I also read the specifications multiple times, until they worked in my mind. :-)

Writing a nonzero value into the clock register then enables the clock and sets its frequency. [...]

The clock functions as an interval timer by decrementing to zero, issuing an interrupt, and restarting at the programmed start value. [...]

If a value other than that initially programmed is required, a new 14-bit clock start value is similarly programmed by executing a CRU write operation to the same locations. During programming the decrementer is restarted with the current start value after each start value bit is written. [...]

The clock is disabled by /RST1 (power-up clear) or by writing a zero value into the clock register. Enabling the clock programs the third priority interrupt (/INT3) as the clock interrupt and disables generation of interrupts from the /INT3 input pin.

Know what? There is no word that says that the clock is "stopped". It seems to me that "enable" or "disable the clock" is solely referring to the interrupt generation. This would explain the behavior of the real TMS9901. I changed the MAME emulation accordingly, and also successfully tested OLD/SAVE CS1.

• Like 2

That's fantastic news. Vielen Dank

I am not sure that the first snake program should really work on hardware. It does not init the timer like CAMEL99 Forth does on startup.

I can try reading the timer on my TI-99 without initing it to >3FFF to see what I get.

BTW my source for the code was here:

http://www.unige.ch/medecine/nouspikel/ti99/tms9901.htm#Timer

"Once the decrementer reaches zero, it reloads itself with the value stored in the Clock register and continues its decrementing job.

At this point, it also issues a level 3 interrupt. If the corresponding mask was set to 1 (with CRU bit 3, in I/O mode), the INTREQ* line will become active to signal the interrupt to the CPU. Note that while the decrementer is working, pin INT3 cannot generate interrupts: it can still be read, but even a low level will not trigger interrupts. The decrementer will not generate any more interrupts after that one, unless re-enabled by entering and exiting timer mode.

The decrementer can be stopped by simply writing a zero to the leaving register, and leaving timer mode."