Photo

Variable name/program space relationship

30 replies to this topic

#26 TheBF OFFLINE  

TheBF

Moonsweeper

• 457 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 11:52 AM

The routine is written in Assembly for TI Basic and XB, but the reason it is slow is that both move it into VDP RAM.

XB has it in upper 24K RAM but moves it into VDP....stupid thinking TI.

TI Basic does everything from VDP and makes it worse by making copies in VDP compounding the speed issues.

Speed wise the issue is using VDP that that TI Basic or XB is slow, you are attacking the wrong issue here.

All I wanted to confirm was your insight that XB variable lookup for long names was faster. And it is.

(48% slower vs only 25% slower in XB)

The rest of my comments were just a surprise that the entire program runs slower in XB.

You are the expert on those reasons too beyond a doubt.

I don't have enough life span left to understand all that stuff.

• RXB likes this

#27 Willsy OFFLINE  

Willsy

River Patroller

• 3,060 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 3:08 PM

In forth it doesn't matter how long your variables are. Each reference takes two bytes. Just sayin' 😀

#28 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,380 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 4:07 PM

Perhaps my mind is incapable of grasping Forth... for years I have had phases where I was bound and determined to learn Forth... Ill sit down for a week and hammer it hard, reading everything I can and using TF or fbForth as my terminal. Ill feel like Im getting it, Im finally getting it!!

Then I look up after a week of effort and realize that I have succeeded in clearing the screen and putting a text splash up. My graphics always come out wrong and I feel twisted up and backwards.... then I feel small.

Then I go back to XB and deal with the slowness, defeated again... Maybe next year....

#29 Lee Stewart OFFLINE  

Lee Stewart

River Patroller

• 3,496 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 7:01 PM

Perhaps my mind is incapable of grasping Forth... for years I have had phases where I was bound and determined to learn Forth... Ill sit down for a week and hammer it hard, reading everything I can and using TF or fbForth as my terminal. Ill feel like Im getting it, Im finally getting it!!

Then I look up after a week of effort and realize that I have succeeded in clearing the screen and putting a text splash up. My graphics always come out wrong and I feel twisted up and backwards.... then I feel small.

Then I go back to XB and deal with the slowness, defeated again... Maybe next year....

The penny will drop one day, you’ll see.   :)

...lee

#30 Opry99er ONLINE  

Opry99er

Quadrunner

• Topic Starter
  • 8,380 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 7:03 PM

The penny will drop one day, youll see.   :)

...lee

Or 2DROP maybe?

#31 RXB OFFLINE  

RXB

River Patroller

• 2,869 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 7:54 PM

In forth it doesn't matter how long your variables are. Each reference takes two bytes. Just sayin'

Forth is interpretative or compiled, XB is interpretative only.

Which is why Compiled XB is so much faster.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users