IGNORED

Is this a normal amount of buzz for a Genesis Model 1?

mystman12

So I noticed recently that my Genesis (which I got from a yardsale a few years ago) seems to have a lot of buzzing. It seems to get louder or quieter depending on what's on screen. The picture is perfect. I plugged an aux cable into the headphone port on the Genesis and made a recording straight from the console, which you can listen to here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ajq7oQLp1JsOiIB1hSNqKZ2pl7TdVA(please excuse the radio signal! That was picked up by the cable I used and isn't part of the problem.) I start out with the volume slider fairly low before turning it down completely so all you hear is the buzz. Also, I have an original AC adapter and AV cable. Basically, all I want to know is if this is normal, and if not what I should try doing to fix it? Thanks for any help!

What Genesis model is this? I happen to have some captures lying around on my hard drive from my Genesis 1 and my Genesis 3. My Genesis 1 doesn't buzz at all, but my Genesis 3 does.

If it's a Genesis 1, there were something like 7 different revisions of that model, and the sound changed a lot. To know what's really normal, you'd have to know exactly which model you have and then find someone else with exactly that model. I actually have the last version, which is purportedly the worst, but it doesn't buzz like that. Here's a thread about the different versions: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthread.php?7796-GUIDE-Telling-apart-good-Genesis-1s-and-Genesis-2s-from-bad-ones

Oh joy. Turns out I have the worst model, and the way he describes the sound pretty much fits what I'm hearing (Although he describes it as a hiss, I guess it's the same thing). Well, seeing as I only paid $3 for my Genesis, and got a 32X and some other goodies with it, I guess I can't complain much. I'll just have to keep my eyes out for a better model.

Pretty crazy how many revisions there are of this thing though. I had no idea there was so much to look for on a Genesis! Anyways, thanks for the help!