IGNORED

5200 overlays in a sealed, new box?

Hank Rearden

I've bought 5 new in box 5200 games and they either didn't have an overlay or there was only 1. Is this common or perhaps a way to save money on later runs. I'd appreciate knowing other people's experience in opening new games.

1. Rescue on Fractalus - no overlay

2. Missile Command - 1 overlay

3. Pac-Man - 1 overlay

4. Real Sports Soccer - 1 overlay

5. Ballblazer - no overlay

1 and 5 are Lucas Arts games and were released very late in the 5200 cycle, which may be the reason. The other 3 were very early but perhaps as time went on to save money they eliminated 1 overlay.

I have the added frustration that the Ballblazer was a dud out of the box. The Atari logo screen loads but then goes to a blank screen. I tried alcohol, acetone, and even some Brasso on the contacts. Reaching out to the seller on that one this morning.

Just curious if there's a story on the overlays and if others have similar experiences.

wow i thought pac-man came with 2 and you have to punch them out of a tree maybe they were resealed

That's a lot of trouble for the 10 bucks that it cost. Here's the front and back of the one that came with Missile Command. It was not a cut out. It was actually insert in the slots on the back of the cartridge but there was only the one.

Also, it is definitely a later production run as there is a 1986 date on it. Also the discoloration from age says that this is very likely legit. So my original hypothesis may be accurate in that they saved a few cents per cartridge later in the cycle by only inserting one overlay.

I am interested in other people's experience.

post-51379-0-18228500-1515335571_thumb.jpg

post-51379-0-29048000-1515335602_thumb.jpg