IGNORED

Boy was I wrong

9640News

Interesting to see Tim's comments on feeling unappreciated for software work, in light of the recent meltdown and exile of a new member who didn't find responses to his liking. I remember reading a letter to the editor of MICROpendium in the early 90s from a programmer, lamenting his slow sales, and angrily pointing out that the community would have to depend on "freeware from retirees" from here on in.

It's been thus for quite a while - when the user base is this small and diverse, you'd better be doing what you do for its own sake, and your own jollies, because that's all you're guaranteed.

As for the rest, I don't think anyone can blame a "psychic" for not seeing how accessible the internet was about to become, and how much that was gonna change our lives. :)

• Like 2

It's been thus for quite a while - when the user base is this small and diverse, you'd better be doing what you do for its own sake, and your own jollies, because that's all you're guaranteed.

Exactly. This is how I designed TIImageTool - it is intended as a tool that, in the first place, is helpful for me and contains all features I deem to be useful. I just once diverted from this path by adding CF7 compatibility, even though I do not have any CF7, and in the end I got the impression that the additional work did not really pay off because only few people using TIMT would also use it for CF7.

I think the same view applies for the overall MAME project as well, even though the user base is much bigger (in particular for the arcade part).

• Like 1

As for the rest, I don't think anyone can blame a "psychic" for not seeing how accessible the internet was about to become, and how much that was gonna change our lives. :)

I was concerned. At the point the Internet was becoming commercially available I had been on-line for about six years or so. I told my best friend at the time, "we're just not ready as a society for these kinds of mass connections."

• Like 1

Interesting to see Tim's comments on feeling unappreciated for software work, in light of the recent meltdown and exile of a new member who didn't find responses to his liking. I remember reading a letter to the editor of MICROpendium in the early 90s from a programmer, lamenting his slow sales, and angrily pointing out that the community would have to depend on "freeware from retirees" from here on in.

I think just about everyone has a mini meltdown or such every once in a while. I had some stuff going on a few years ago in my life (illness, moving twice in six months, etc) that caused a short term meltdown. Ksarul talked some sense into me, though :) Just tells me folks here are human, and we need affirmation, and being here for each other for those that they've known for quite a long time is almost part of the job description. About the new member that abruptly left, I can't even begin to speculate what they might have going on in their life.

• Like 4

With the vintage computing hobby, you should definitely have a large amount of motivation on your own to do things. Positive feedback from anywhere will be elusive and rare.

What's fun (sort of) is how more than half my co-workers are younger than some of the computer magazines I own. Oi. ;) #GetOffMyLawn #InMyDayWeHad4KandLikedIt!

• Like 2

Yeah, many of the people I work with could biologically be my kids. It's strange talking to people who have no concept of the internet before social media, computers before PC and Mac, music and games as physical media, etc. I try to stay open minded but I definitely feel that old guy's temptation to just burrow into my nest of familiar stuff and let the rest of the world go by.

Context is everything. I don't feel that the historical snips give a good sense of situation back then. IMHO, the recent meltdown and exile has little in common with the past. Users had abandoned ship for the PC and other venues. Hardware and software sales had slowed considerably, the repair situation was in dire shape, people whose livelihood was linked to the TI were either feeling a lot of pressure from those that remained or were threatening to leave. What I and many others did for fun was under assault by the consumers who didn't understand (or didn't care to understand) that this was our hobby, too.

Thankfully, 20+ years later the ugliness has disappeared and has been replaced by the desire to learn, have fun, and make social connections with people interested in the TI as a vintage hobby. The current resurgence is pushing the Ti capability envelope without the pressures that existed back then. It is a good time to enjoy the hobby.

• Like 4