IGNORED

didnt the apple 2c auto load floppy on boot

discgolfer72

just picked up a new apple //c and I have to use the command (open apple +control+reset) to get a floppy disk to load up

I seem to remember that my old one (sold it 3 years ago) as soon as I would power it on it would boot the disk as long as one was in the drive

is it some setting I'm missing or am I looking at the unit failing

ok home now

it boots and looks like its got prodos

on boot

after trying a few more floppy discs

ones that look legit(not hand written label's) boot auto on power up

anything that's on a bootleg (hand written label) requires me to open apple+ control+ reset to get them to run ,and upon power up I get no disk activity at all

Well it's odd for you to get *no* disk activity only on bootlegs, but then have them work fine if you manually boot. Do you really mean no activity, as in no spinning, nothing? Or does it spin and then just kick you to a prompt?

The latter is pretty normal. I don't know (or remember) all the technicalities, but Apple II bootlegs were never bit-perfect. They were cracked, and the crack often involved doing something to the boot sectors to get them to work on regular disks. So a lot of them don't auto-boot. At least a lot of mine don't.

I probably wouldn't worry if it's only happening on handmade disks. Unless you're really just getting no spinning of the disk or anything; that would be weird.

Well it's odd for you to get *no* disk activity only on bootlegs, but then have them work fine if you manually boot. Do you really mean no activity, as in no spinning, nothing? Or does it spin and then just kick you to a prompt?

The latter is pretty normal. I don't know (or remember) all the technicalities, but Apple II bootlegs were never bit-perfect. They were cracked, and the crack often involved doing something to the boot sectors to get them to work on regular disks. So a lot of them don't auto-boot. At least a lot of mine don't.

I probably wouldn't worry if it's only happening on handmade disks. Unless you're really just getting no spinning of the disk or anything; that would be weird.

I get no red light and cant hear anything spinning (why I was concerned )

but now I'm back home ive pumped 50+ disks thru it (testing all the software that I got) and so far one or 2 disks have failed to load (ugg one being side b of Oregon trail )

so I'm guessing everything is working good enough

still though only the factory disks load auto

Edited by discgolfer72

All that means is that there is no boot code in track 0 sector 0.

You can install a boot sector by using Copy II+. But a lot of times the disks that don't boot are just data disks. And especially the back sides of floppy disks, more often than not, you will find the disk will boot to Dos on the front side and the back side does not boot.

In those cases, boot the front of the disk, flip the disk and do a CATALOG to see if there are any files on it.

A+ thank for the info everyone

just finished testing 200 disks on it lol still going strong so I think I'm good ended up with 22 not useable as is (data only , blank , or just dead ) out of the 200

ps while I'm here any sd /usb floppy options for the 2 c did some searching and info is spotty on here to get one