Photo

Sophia rev.C - DVI board

168 replies to this topic

#151 _The Doctor__ OFFLINE  

_The Doctor__

Quadrunner

• 5,194 posts

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:44 AM

what? I though he provided a path for artifacting....or did I just jumble up projects in my head again?

#152 Faicuai OFFLINE  

Faicuai

Dragonstomper

• 843 posts

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2018 1:58 PM

Image ovality and differences resulting from the properties of NTSC and PAL systems are a disadvantage, not a desirable feature. Tolerated because it is indelible. So far.

From an pure / absolute point of view, yes, you are correct.

But considering the historical value / weight of our experience, the name of the game here is FIDELITY. Or, in other words, an as FAITHFUL reproduction of our user experience as materially / technically possible. 

Most past software titles (which make up the vast majority of Atari's SW library) were coded with these machines visual properties' in mind. Therefore, if we are not able to recreate such visual properties, we can hardly re-create the original experience itself. This is a problem within NTSC itself, as color-decoding for this standard actually changed, and so the actual color palette extracted from the Atari (very hard to reproduce accurately, indeed).

For instance, some software like Flags of Europe and Summer Games, somehow thought that that it was a good idea to source red color for the flags from the LAST vertical row of the color palette, specifically patches #1 or #2 from left to right (instead of true red-primaries located way above and closer to the first rows). But, as it turns out,  that last row is VERY, VERY hard to decode accurately with modern NTSC electronics (as it used to look on early days), no matter how much you (mindfully) fiddle the color pot AND the color phase (hue) adjustments.

The bottom-line is NTSC is not and will not be a 1:1 output aspect ratio. It is shrunk horizontally by a factor of (pretty close) 11/12. 

In any case, if the machine still outputs its native COMPOSITE and Y/C output while Sophia is working (and all outputs are routed through a decent, powerful video processor), this discussion has no real impact or relevance, anyway.

Edited by Faicuai, Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:04 PM.

#153 Frankie OFFLINE  

Frankie

Moonsweeper

• 471 posts

Posted Sun Aug 19, 2018 4:55 PM

In any case, if the machine still outputs its native COMPOSITE and Y/C output while Sophia is working (and all outputs are routed through a decent, powerful video processor), this discussion has no real impact or relevance, anyway.

I guess you could always install a UAV along with it, then you get all three output with excellent quality,

#154 MagicMarc-er ONLINE  

MagicMarc-er

Space Invader

• 18 posts

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:45 PM

Does anyone know what type of connectors are used on the ends of the ribbon cable that is supplied with the Sophia board?  I have been trying to find a longer version of the same thing because, depending on where you mount Sophia inside a 1200XL, the ribbon cable could stand to be a few inches longer.  I've been searching around on ebay but can't seem to find that type of connector.

#155 jc13 OFFLINE  

jc13

Star Raider

• 66 posts

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:29 PM

Does anyone know what type of connectors are used on the ends of the ribbon cable that is supplied with the Sophia board?  I have been trying to find a longer version of the same thing because, depending on where you mount Sophia inside a 1200XL, the ribbon cable could stand to be a few inches longer.  I've been searching around on ebay but can't seem to find that type of connector.

Attached image is what I ordered from DigiKey...  If just making a new cable, you won't need the 2nd one.

Attached Thumbnails

• connectors.png

#156 MagicMarc-er ONLINE  

MagicMarc-er

Space Invader

• 18 posts

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:52 PM

Attached image is what I ordered from DigiKey...  If just making a new cable, you won't need the 2nd one.

Thanks!  I also found part number A128014-ND, which is a 250mm (approx 10") cable with the appropriate connectors.  I think the ribbon cable that is provided is 200mm (8") so this might be 2" longer.  If I go with the A99461CT-ND connector that you showed, is there a specific type of ribbon cable that needs to be used or will any 10 position cable work?

#157 jc13 OFFLINE  

jc13

Star Raider

• 66 posts

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:23 PM

Thanks!  I also found part number A128014-ND, which is a 250mm (approx 10") cable with the appropriate connectors.  I think the ribbon cable that is provided is 200mm (8") so this might be 2" longer.  If I go with the A99461CT-ND connector that you showed, is there a specific type of ribbon cable that needs to be used or will any 10 position cable work?

I just used an old IDE drive cable and split off 10 conductors.  Not sure if you have a way to crimp the connectors (I used a bench vise with some wood spacers to keep from destroying the connector), but if that's a concern I'd get the cable assembly for sure assuming it's long enough.

Edited by jc13, Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:27 PM.

#158 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,494 posts

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:48 AM

I am very impressed with this mod and I look forward to placing an order for my 5200. My 5200 was already previously Svideo modded by electronic Sentimentalities. I know the Svideo mod requires soldering onto the GTIA. Has anyone tried installing the DVI mod inside a previously modded 5200? I think it would work fine just putting the soldered GTIA in to the Sophia. I am curious if anyone has tried this yet. It might even clear up the Svideo signal?

Edited by adamchevy, Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:48 AM.

#159 mytek OFFLINE  

mytek

River Patroller

• 3,017 posts

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:35 AM

I am very impressed with this mod and I look forward to placing an order for my 5200. My 5200 was already previously Svideo modded by electronic Sentimentalities. I know the Svideo mod requires soldering onto the GTIA. Has anyone tried installing the DVI mod inside a previously modded 5200? I think it would work fine just putting the soldered GTIA in to the Sophia. I am curious if anyone has tried this yet. It might even clear up the Svideo signal?

Should work. I use this board on a UAV modded system without any issues. Sophia is designed to work in harmony with the GTIA chip, so any 'standard' video enhancement should work the same as always.

#160 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,494 posts

Posted Mon Aug 27, 2018 4:11 PM

Should work. I use this board on a UAV modded system without any issues. Sophia is designed to work in harmony with the GTIA chip, so any 'standard' video enhancement should work the same as always.

c176f3c42a9064f3d4b74aa3c319d1fe.jpg

#161 MagicMarc-er ONLINE  

MagicMarc-er

Space Invader

• 18 posts

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:25 AM

I've made some great progress and will post some pictures of my mod soon.  Sofia works great and picture is incredible.  I have only one remaining issue and that is sound.  To the monitor port, I connected a Din 5 Pin To 3.5mm Male Stereo Jack Audio Adapter Cable.  This I used to connect to some standard powered computer speakers and also to a pair of headphones.  I can hear the sound but, even at maximum volume, it is very quiet.  When I connected to a standard tv using the RF connector, the volume was fine.  What am I doing wrong?

#162 kheller2 OFFLINE  

kheller2

Stargunner

• 1,255 posts

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2018 5:58 PM

Was that a custom built cable? Didn’t think such a cable existed.

#163 MagicMarc-er ONLINE  

MagicMarc-er

Space Invader

• 18 posts

Posted Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:42 PM

Was that a custom built cable? Didn’t think such a cable existed.

Yes. I found it on ebay for about $6.50 (U.S.).

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#164 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,494 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 2:17 PM

Does anyone know if the Sophia supports 144hz monitors? I’ve been looking into getting one because it looks like they would be better for most of the arcade style games I love on the 5200. Also, does it support DVI-D(dual link)?

#165 killersquirel OFFLINE  

killersquirel

Dragonstomper

• 719 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:57 PM

How much are the Sophia DVIs going for? Are they still available?

#166 Simius OFFLINE  

Simius

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 512 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:53 PM

Does anyone know if the Sophia supports 144hz monitors? I’ve been looking into getting one because it looks like they would be better for most of the arcade style games I love on the 5200. Also, does it support DVI-D(dual link)?

Sophia board required 50Hz (PAL) or 60Hz (NTSC) v-sync range monitor with DVI-D single link.

#167 Simius OFFLINE  

Simius

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 512 posts

Posted Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:59 PM

How much are the Sophia DVIs going for? Are they still available?

Yeah, Sophias are still available. Ordering info on PM

#168 slx OFFLINE  

slx

Stargunner

• 1,512 posts

Posted Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:55 PM

Does anyone know if the Sophia supports 144hz monitors? Ive been looking into getting one because it looks like they would be better for most of the arcade style games I love on the 5200. Also, does it support DVI-D(dual link)?

Why would you need that? Your Atari cant produce more than 60hz anyway, nor will it use a resolution that would require dual link to send to the monitor. If your monitor supports 144kHz it will happily accept the Ataris 60.

#169 adamchevy OFFLINE  

adamchevy

Stargunner

• 1,494 posts

Posted Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:51 PM

Finally had some time to give this a try. Wow! It looks great! Thanks so much for making this!1f3efdcabb8ec5cbadeecf8b057e284e.jpg
353d4a682b9e2d87fac3f6f1612f24d4.jpg
2e3f53d6c5bbc35952e3880033e3c4d9.jpg

This is at 1600x900 at 60hz
bc047ee2f1790d6c42e03e15b0ce67a9.jpg

This is on a Dell U3011t Monitor.

Edited by adamchevy, Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:52 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users