Photo

9640 News BBS Online via Telnet

10 replies to this topic

#1 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Chopper Commander

• 153 posts

Posted Mon Jan 8, 2018 12:56 PM

Well, let's hope AT&T's repair back at some station solves my internet issues.

So, with that being said, the 9640 News bbs is now available via Telnet at 9640news.ddns.net:9640.

I've got approximately 10,000 files available online, and have interfaced with the Usenet newsgroup comp.sys.ti as well as various retronet orphan groups including a new one for the TI-99/4A.

Fingers crossed no more issues with the line.

Beery

#2 SIO2 OFFLINE  

SIO2

Dragonstomper

• 939 posts

Posted Tue Jan 9, 2018 10:06 PM

Your BBS was working this evening.  :) 

#3 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:31 AM

It's been working well since AT&T resolved their issues.  While it was not required, I did upgrade from Windows 10 Home to Windows 10 Professional.  I did this due to the automatic upgrades Windows Home required.  Each time Windows 10 Home had to reboot on an upgrade, it was taking the software offline on the reboot.  Because it was a forced reboot, it left a "bsy" (busy) file preventing a server reboot.  Now, Windows 10 Professional, I can schedule my upgrades when I want, and when I am in the room with minimal unexpected down time.

Also, the software I am running, I learned they are about to "unlock" web server functionality.  Not anything fancy, but it will allow simple web pages to be delivered. 

Beery

#4 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 3,983 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:06 AM

WORX ;-)  :thumbsup:  :lust:

Attached Files

#5 arcadeshopper OFFLINE  

arcadeshopper

River Patroller

• 2,698 posts

Posted Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:20 PM

I'll add this to the dialout menu on thekeep.net as well! if people want to dial in with a real modem they can call  503 646 2407 and then dialout over telnet to you

Greg

#6 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:00 AM

Thanks Greg.  Much appreciated.

Beery

#7 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:14 PM

I just sent a user a note that was trying to connect to 9640 News.  This has been covered elsewhere I am sure in the past, but a rehash as it looks like more interest is picking up with these Telnet capable devices we can attach to our computer.  Here is what I wrote for others if they are struggling:

OK, I assume you have a setup where you can Telnet into the BBS.  Dialup through the old standard modem through telephone lines is not possible. [Note: if you are going through Greg's dialup BBS to then Telnet over to me, I assume Greg has all the connections worked out].

Depending upon your Terminal emulator will depend upon how you connect.

First, if you are using Telnet under a Windows PC, at the telnet prompt type:  o 9640news.ddns.net 9640

That tells it to open the website 9640news.ddns.net on port 9640.

If you are using the WiFi232 modem on a TI/Geneve and have it setup working properly, you would type the following

ATDT9640news.ddns.net:9640

(Note the above colon in the dial string before the port).

​If however, you are using the Lantronix UDS10, it is not capable of using the URL of 9640news.ddns.net so you need to go to www.ip-lookup.net and go to the domain name tab and enter the domain name of 9640news.ddns.net.  Right now, you will get back the IP address associated with 9640news.ddns.net as 99.119.246.201 .  This should change very infrequently so if you ever find you are not getting a connection, look it up to see if the IP address has changed.  This is where I wish the UDS10 was just a bit smarter.

So, with a terminal emulator connected to the Lantronix UDS10, you would then type the following string:

ATDT99.119.246.201,9640

In all three cases, you must specify the port of 9640 and all three routes depending upon your setup are different.

I'm also connecting my iPad to my website and in that case, I give it 9640news.ddns.net and in a separate line item in the setup configuration, I specify a port of 9640.

I hope this helps guide you.  Let me know if you have question(s).

​Beery

Edited by BeeryMiller, Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:16 PM.

#8 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:19 PM

WORX ;-)  :thumbsup:  :lust:

With the F18A video modification, do the colors above for the ANSI graphic of Garfield come out orange?  That graphic showed more detail than what I see with ANSI color on PORT as Garfield is not orange.  I'm guessing this is a limit of the graphics mode being used for the 9938 for color ANSI displays.

#9 InsaneMultitasker ONLINE  

InsaneMultitasker

Stargunner

• 1,828 posts

Posted Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:48 PM

PORT does not change the V9938 palette so the colors are defaulted to the MDOS settings.   Pretty sure I didn't even have a PC back when I wrote PORT, so my only reference was the ANSI color code tables and a best-use approximation.  If someone wants to create an adjusted palette, it would probably look better.  On the F18A I did not change TIMXT's palette for standard ANSI but I did make changes to it for the C64 petscii emulation mode.  

#10 Schmitzi OFFLINE  

Schmitzi

River Patroller

• 3,983 posts
  • ToXiC

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:48 AM

With the F18A video modification, do the colors above for the ANSI graphic of Garfield come out orange?  That graphic showed more detail than what I see with ANSI color on PORT as Garfield is not orange.  I'm guessing this is a limit of the graphics mode being used for the 9938 for color ANSI displays.

Here I was connected from my PC, with the tool "SecureCRT" (Windows). I know this issues from other BBSes and connections,

maybe just a problem of my settiings. I have to fiddle out....

Just some raw infos:

I am using ANSI Color with the font "Terminal" with the checked option "Use Unicode line drawing chars"

All appearance of colors and menus a.s.o. seems to bee OK and looks very good. Happy. thx

PS: One restriction of SecureCRT is that it only does Xmodem. It is the 2006er version, maybe I have to check for update ;)

PS v.2.0: Yes, I need an update

https://www.vandyke....e_transfer.html

#11 BeeryMiller OFFLINE  

BeeryMiller

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 153 posts

Posted Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:24 AM

PORT does not change the V9938 palette so the colors are defaulted to the MDOS settings.   Pretty sure I didn't even have a PC back when I wrote PORT, so my only reference was the ANSI color code tables and a best-use approximation.  If someone wants to create an adjusted palette, it would probably look better.  On the F18A I did not change TIMXT's palette for standard ANSI but I did make changes to it for the C64 petscii emulation mode.  

Found this that may help on setting up the color palette.

Well, that paste did not work out well.  This URL has the palette definitions:

https://en.wikipedia...NSI_escape_code

Edited by BeeryMiller, Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:25 AM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users