9640 News BBS Online via Telnet

27 replies to this topic

#26 BeeryMiller ONLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 655 posts

Posted Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:05 PM

My BBS software I am using rolled out a web server interface.  Very basic, but TI'ers do not need anything too fancy.

Well, with something Chris shared the other day, I was able to add a script to my webpage that will allow anyone using a web browser to login into the BBS.

So, check out http://9640news.ddns.net:8080/(save the link as a favorite!!!) and you can follow the link and automatically log into the BBS.

The BBS is carrying TI/Geneve messages in addition to the Usenet comp.sys.ti group, retronet's network for the TI group, and it has almost all the YahooGroup content for the Geneve and TI-99/4A present.

The actual website is under construction as the web server was a very new feature, but in the future, it will have more content.  Right now, it just has a few documents for the Geneve as well as a portal to log into the BBS.  You can probably log in even with a mobile device.  File downloading (not sure about uploading) is the only issue I am aware at the moment.

Beery

#27 BeeryMiller ONLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 655 posts

Posted Wed May 9, 2018 6:58 PM

OK, got time tonight and I have added to the webpage at http://9640News.ddns.net:8080/the links on the webpage to telnet from the webpage to 9640 News, Fusion, and the Heatwave BBS's.

Beery

#28 BeeryMiller ONLINE  

BeeryMiller

Dragonstomper

• Topic Starter
  • 655 posts

Posted Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:10 AM

Yesterday evening, I completed the task of uploading all the comp.sys.ti messages previously provided to my BBS along with the TI99 Listserv messages from the late 90's.  There were like 15,000+ comp.sys.ti messages and 8,000+ TI99 listserv messages.  I also have the Yahoogroup archives from the Geneve group as well as the TI-99/4A group on the BBS as well, captured for historical purposes.

These messages are in "JAM" format, so if anyone is wanting to host a BBS, it is very easy to zip the files  up for each category, and be on your way.  Myself, I use Mystic BBS which has both 32 and 64 bit Window versions, as well as a Linux version that can run on a Raspberry PI.  Even if you are not wanting to run a BBS where users can call you, if you setup a system, you can run what they call a point from my system and I can forward the email traffic.  This would give you active access to comp.sys.ti, various Retronet groups supporting the TI-99/4A and other orphans, the yahoogroup messages, etc.

If interested, let me know.  My BBS can be reached via telnet at 9640news.ddns.net Port 9640.

Beery

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users